Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

FYI

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI

How yo say this so the moderators do not delete?? I will NEVER buy another Fleetwood Trailer or other product again-I learned my lession with this one Avon is suppose to be theie top of the line--well thats .bs. ask me why if you want too--Glenn save your self some grief- :'( :'( :'(
Old 07-29-2003, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re:FYI

Your welcome to voice your opinions about different product on DTR as long as you do so in accordance with the site rules.

Have you taken your problems to Fleetwood?

Rich.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:42 AM

Yes i have w/o any satifaction when new I should hav gone lemon law when i bought it but was too dumb--had it now 10 years and still fighting it every year--cannot afford to dump it as the wife wants--just thought i'd warn the folks here is all-there are lots of trailers brands out there--Thanks for the reply--Glenn
Old 07-29-2003, 12:36 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

They are notorious for delamination of their bonded walls and roof systems right along with Gulf Stream. Paid $150,000 for a Gulf Stream MH only to have it delaminate within one year - - this was back in 97. They ended up with it back after a year at little loss to me other than the aggravation. OSB everywhere, tissue paper on the roof, leaks - - oh well Bob, leave it alone and go on - - life is short.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While I can't say much about any one brand of manufacturer,,, it is sad to see some of the quality issues that I have read about and seen first hand. I talked with a couple down in GA who were driving a $250,000 motorhome which is suppose to be "TOP OF THE LINE" and they showed me things you wouldn't expect to even be allowed on the road.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:48 PM

I here you 100%, but I think Thor has the same problem I have been reading about trailers I have found that KZ is a good manafacture and they are made by an Omish Group somewhere is East US
Old 07-29-2003, 04:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually I have been very happy with my Thor product. I bought a Komfort trailer almost a year ago. The same dealer sold Fleetwood products but the Komfort had a better warranty.

In nearly a year of use, we have not found a single issue worthy of noting - or worthy of dealer repair.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:40 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Here's an interesting thread on Thor.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...tid/197503.cfm

OUCH
Old 08-04-2003, 02:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen this thread once before and it was an unfortunate situation for this couple. At first I thought it was odd that a Thor product was being serviced at a Dutchmen facility, but I found out they own them too.

I also belong to irv2.com and did a lot of corresponding and forum searching there before purchasing the Thor product. I was only able to find one member who had even a slightly negative comment about the Komfort brand and found little negative about Thor in general. The things I heard about the Fleetwood products were a horror story in comparison.

I think one of the RVnet members hit it on the head when he mentioned that many of the large companies have purchased numerous small manufacturers. So the quality will more likely come down to the individual brand than the company who onws them. I had never heard of a Fifth Avenue trailer until I read that thread.

We purchased our trailer from a gentleman I have known for nearly 20 years. He has owned RVs since the 60s, went full-time for 15 years, and has been selling them for 12. The two major brands he had available were Komfort by Thor and Prowler by Fleetwood. I asked him about factory service experience and he took me to meet the service manager. The service manager told me they were simply not allowed to send Fleetwood units back to the factory. He wouldn't elaborate.

They can send Thor units back but have never had to yet. They are fully certified by Thor to do all repairs including structural frame repairs, roof replacement and more.

What sold me was when the salesman told me to drive by his house on the way home. I already knew where he lived, so I did. There was a 6 month old Komfort 5th wheel parked next to the house. If this brand was good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

My experience may not be representative of all Thor products, but I believe it is representative of Komfort products.

Bottom line is, I love my trailer and couldn't be happier without spending a lot more money. The neighbors next-door and two-doors down are not so happy. One purchased a Kit Sportsmaster last fall, and the other a Fleetwood Terry this spring. Both would give them back if they could find a way.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:08 AM

FYI

I have family that works in the assembly plant in Lindsay Ontario, Canada so take this for what it is worth. As I understand it they get most of the equipment from the US and that their fit and finish is superior to some other assembly places for the same trailers. Not knowing alot about this being new to the fvr world (pick mine up in May) and inquiring of mind it has been explained that your choice in dealer will go a long way to solving problems that all new things seem to come with.
I purchased a Prowler Regal AX6 285RLS and hope with proper service and maintenance that it will do Andrea and I many years.

Anyway here is hoping that things work out for all, seasonal greetings from north of the border.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:12 PM

My dad has a 1986 34 ft. Avion travel trailer (triple axle). The one with the Aluminum skin. Its been to Alaska and back several times (from Louisiana) and quite a few deer leases in Texas that were way out in the boonies. It's never been covered either.This thing has held up very well and never had a probelm. I guess they were built better back then. Disappointing to hear the quality has gone down.
Old 12-16-2003, 04:50 AM

Avion was a top of the line trailer until Fleetwood bought out Avion. Then they tried to improve the line. Since that time they have major quality control problems like every Fleetwood product I have owned. One such TT I owned had major tire wear problems. Unfortunately by the time the source of the problem was tracked down it was our of warranty. The spring shackles were welded off center on the frame and one was welded 3/4" farther back than the other. This resulted in one tire having less than 1/2" clearance of the propane line running through the wheel well. Great engineering for a rocket propelled blow-out.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:28 AM

Location: Eagle, Idaho. Please set your watch back 20 years when entering.

Did a factory tour of the Northwood facility in LaGrande, Oregon shortly after I bought my 'Fox. Very impressed with what goes under the skin in the Nash/Arctic Fox products. I've had a warranty issue, but it was dealt with promptly and correctly. In fact, when I was at the factory for the tour, they took care of a few things for me with no b/s. My trailer has all top quality fixtures and appliances as well.

The only downside is they are HEAVY. My 29 footer comes in at 10,000# GVW. Of course, that's why I'm driving what I'm driving and get to share this forum with all you wonderfull folks!!

There is a Fleetwood facility down the road from the Northwood plant, but Sherrie Nash told me they don't use the "F" word in their part of the valley.

100 Proof

Quick Reply: FYI