Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Forest River "Work & Play" Toyhaulers

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 11:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just abought bought a W&P. There is a HUGE dealer abought 20 minutes from my house that sells them and a sister brand that is almost identical. Personaly if I where using them for something heavy such as you are then I would not even look at any RV based units as they are not built near as heavy. I am only hauling around ATVs so I wound up with a RV based unit. I agree with the coment abought getting a Goosneck version for the extra living quarter space and the option of th eslide out but if it is gong off road I would definatly get the bumper mount for the added protection against damaging your truck. They do not offer the GN with a tappered nose, or at least not last summer when i was looking into buying one. I looked in to Pace American trailers as well and they are a little more pricy but they offer what is know as the +6+2 option or something like that. It raises the Goosneck 6 inches and extendes the frame of the GN 2 feet so that the pin is out from under the trailer body for clearence on short box trucks. Check out this place if you get seriouse. They sell all over the country and are cheaper than most. http://www.trailersforsale.com/.

Here is Paces site.http://www.paceamerican.com/trailers/use/lounge/
Old 01-02-2007, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live close to Elkhart Indiana where alot of these trailers come from and it still took me a year to decide on what to buy. I looked at the work and play and many others. From the sound of it you would be better off with the work and play for what you are doing. And definately get the 5'er and go with the slider hitch. You will have more than enough room for turning and manuvering with your truck. I went with the keystone but that is what best suited my situation.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:29 AM

Toyhauler

Originally Posted by tommygunn
If you search rv.net under toy hauler forum you will find a complete list of all toy hauler companies there are tons to choose from I personally bought a weekend Warrior for the features.
rv.net does have a lot of info. You can post questions or search for that TH and someone out there will have it.

I have 27ft bumper pull Jayco Talon TH. It is used off-road at my farm. I like bumper pull because I don't lose my bed space and it is easy to hookup. If you have a good weight distribution hitch and sway bar you won't know it's back there. Plus I can easily turn 45+ degrees.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Banned

The problem I'm having is that most toy haulers are geared toward dirt bike/atv hauling and just aren't built strong enough to haul a car/buggy (or they lack the cargo area needed). After checking the links everyone posted and some more research, I've also found the Campmaster line from Roadmaster. I've always heard good things about Roadmasters and these seem to be built to handle the bigger cargo load. Clearance would be an issue like it was with the W&P, but I read about people who had their Campmasters "lifted" from the factory at no extra charge.

I think we've settled on getting a bumper pull due to the MC issues and huge price difference. You can get a new Campmaster 28' with 14' living quarters and decent options for about $20K. Compared to most TT/RV style toy haulers ($30-40K) these seem to be a smokin' deal. Anyone have feedback, good or bad, on the Campmasters or just Roadmasters in general?
Old 01-02-2007, 12:20 PM

If you go with a B & W Turnover hitch for the Megacab they now offer a 4" offset ball to help on short bed trucks. I may go with that and the 5th wheel companion hitch when the time comes.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Banned

Get the bulletnose and you won't have any clearance problems.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:55 PM

I own a Forest River and would not buy another. Customer service doesn't work.

Dave
Old 01-03-2007, 03:09 PM

Not the same type of trailer, but same brand, we have a 6x12 enclosed Forest River cargo trailer and I will say, its not made that well. We should have paid the extra couple hundred $$ and got the Haulmark.

I have looked at a campmaster and they seemed pretty nice.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by nirion
Not the same type of trailer, but same brand, we have a 6x12 enclosed Forest River cargo trailer and I will say, its not made that well. We should have paid the extra couple hundred $$ and got the Haulmark.

I have looked at a campmaster and they seemed pretty nice.
huh. I bought a new 7x14 enclosed Haulmark in '03 and am not too impressed with it. Admittedly it's the only trailer I've ever bought so maybe the others are worse.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:33 PM

I have a 32ft sport 5th wheel toy hauler by Forest River and have not had any problems in 3 years. From all the trailers I,ve seen they are basicly the same, you just got to hope you get one that was built on a good day !
Old 01-03-2007, 06:31 PM

Work & Play

I had the trailer you are talking about with a goose neck adapter, and pulled it with a 03 3500 Quad Cab 4X4 and if I rember right had some where around 9" clearance between bed rails and traiter, this was with it at the lowest point of the hitch.
The trailer itself is stronge double 8" I beams (atlest the one I had) for most of the frame, and something like 2X5/6 for the part that made up the goose/filth wheel part. The only thing lacking IMO is the interior living part.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by LJRoy
huh. I bought a new 7x14 enclosed Haulmark in '03 and am not too impressed with it. Admittedly it's the only trailer I've ever bought so maybe the others are worse.
Maybe they are not much better, but I have a friend with one and it seems to be doing better than ours, and the dealer we bought ours from no longer sells the Forest River, but still sells the Haulmark. When I went to look to trade it in, they said they had issues with customer service from the factory.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:33 PM

forrest river makes us cargo trailers which i have it is junk customer service sucks they dont care about you just money once they have it youre on youre own. DO NOT PICK UP AT FACTORY !! if you miss something on inspection its yours bought mine thru johns trailer sales there dealer was a big mistake, trailer tows fine and is functional but looks suck!!!! buy a haul mark the etra money is worth it
Old 01-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jrussell
Thanks for all the input guys.

There's a couple of reasons why I was going with FR. Forest River's "Work & Play" line are the only ones I've found with a GN setup available. They also have a higher cargo capacity than most toyhaulers (most seem to be geared to dirt bike/atv use). Personally, I like the cargo trailer look much more than the travel trailer look. I figured since these are the only ones I could find with a GN option they must be stronger than a regular travel trailer based toyhauler. From what I've read here regular TT's and toyhaulers don't last long if converted to a GN setup.
You just changed the rules of the ball game if you talk about using a gooseneck on a fiver. Many companies will not honor a warranty on kingpin framing problems if using a GN adapter. The added length of the GN places more twisting and torque on the framing and can crack it. After having that happen to me in Alaska 250 miles from any repair center, you don't want that happening. Much better to stick to a standard fiver hitch or even an air ride hitch. And, I didn't have a gooseneck - - still broke.

Bob
Old 01-05-2007, 08:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jrussell
The problem I'm having is that most toy haulers are geared toward dirt bike/atv hauling and just aren't built strong enough to haul a car/buggy (or they lack the cargo area needed). After checking the links everyone posted and some more research, I've also found the Campmaster line from Roadmaster. I've always heard good things about Roadmasters and these seem to be built to handle the bigger cargo load. Clearance would be an issue like it was with the W&P, but I read about people who had their Campmasters "lifted" from the factory at no extra charge.

I think we've settled on getting a bumper pull due to the MC issues and huge price difference. You can get a new Campmaster 28' with 14' living quarters and decent options for about $20K. Compared to most TT/RV style toy haulers ($30-40K) these seem to be a smokin' deal. Anyone have feedback, good or bad, on the Campmasters or just Roadmasters in general?
Do you have a link?

Quick Reply: Forest River "Work & Play" Toyhaulers