Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Forest River "Work & Play" Toyhaulers

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roadmaster
Old 01-06-2007, 09:50 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jrussell
The problem I'm having is that most toy haulers are geared toward dirt bike/atv hauling and just aren't built strong enough to haul a car/buggy (or they lack the cargo area needed). After checking the links everyone posted and some more research, I've also found the Campmaster line from Roadmaster. I've always heard good things about Roadmasters and these seem to be built to handle the bigger cargo load. Clearance would be an issue like it was with the W&P, but I read about people who had their Campmasters "lifted" from the factory at no extra charge.

I think we've settled on getting a bumper pull due to the MC issues and huge price difference. You can get a new Campmaster 28' with 14' living quarters and decent options for about $20K. Compared to most TT/RV style toy haulers ($30-40K) these seem to be a smokin' deal. Anyone have feedback, good or bad, on the Campmasters or just Roadmasters in general?

I think your making a HUGE mistake buying a bumper pull for this application.
Yes your mega will haul it fine with nothing in the rear of the trailer, but once you load a 3,500# vehicle plus all related gear to support said vehicle in the rear of a bumper pull it will pull to much weight off the drive wheels and a little problem called rearward amplification will show its ugly head, thus resulting in UNCONTROLABLE, UNRECOVERABLE swaying causing jackknifing or roll over.

It is easy for me to spend your money, but if we look at this from a safety stand point the clear choice is a straight up goose neck or I believe the better option wound be the 5ver set up with a sliding hitch assembly. Both MUCH MUCH more stable, MUCH easier to handle and operate.
If you buy the bumper pull then decide that it is not for you it will cost a fortune to upgrade to one of the other options. It would be cheaper to bite the bullet now than be stuck with an unusable product later.

Besides how can we put a price on the safety of our families or the other folks on the road that would be involved in the accident that my swaying trailer caused?

I almost want to apologize for trying to scare you out of your decision, but being in the towing and recovery buisness for 25 of my 43 years, I have pulled FAR TOO MANY bumper pull campers and trailers out of ditch's or up from LARGE embankments or just jacknifed or rolled over with some of the occupants not making it. These incidents are avoidable by making the right decision with your purchase now.

Good luck on your decision, and whatever you decide do it safely!
Old 01-07-2007, 01:05 AM

http://www.trailersforsale.com/Campmaster_21.html
Old 01-07-2007, 08:23 AM

I tow a 2004 Forest River toyhauler, fifth wheel, 38 footer that I haul across bad roads and rough terrain for my work in the oilpatch. I pull it with an '06 2500 diesel 4x4, short bed crew cab and I haven't had any problems thru the tight turns. Use common sense and stay aware and you'll be fine. I wouldn't even attempt to bring a bumper pull trailer out here...fifth wheel is the way to go. As far as quaility of rv's go, none are built as tough as the horse trailers, but unless you spend really big bucks on a custom build, the rv's are far more comfortable. My cherokee Wolfpack handles the badlands just fine, again using common sense and staying aware of the terrain while pulling.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Banned

Thanks for all the great info, guys!

Hvytrkmech, your post is rather alarming. Would what you describe still happen if the trailer is specifically made to haul 5k in the cargo area? I assumed these trailers were built to safely haul what they advertise. Isn't that what they're built for? Not arguing with you, just trying to understand better.

From what I've gathered, a 5th wheel isn't really an option due to the uneven terrain. A GN would work and tow much better/safer, but I will always have to worry about hitting the bedsides/tailgate/cab when traversing dips and bumps and making sharp turns. Not sure if this is a valid concern, but I also worry about our baby sitting in the rear seats with a GN/5'er right behind her! It just seems the bumper pull could be a little safer if the truck was to hit something hard and the trailer came loose.

Another issue I think worth considering is the overall weight difference between the GN and bumper pull. Is the GN really that much safer if it weighs 2-3k lbs more overall? I know the answer is probably yes, but by how much is probably debatable. IMO anytime you have that much less weight back there it's going to increase the overall safety factor by a considerable margin.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:45 PM
Banned

I will never pull a bumper pull again unless I absolutly have too. The stability is like night and day and it is almost inpossible to get any trailer sway with a goose or 5th. The ride quality is also much better. Also as far as uneven terain I will gurranty I have been on some of the crapiest terrain in Utah Idaho and Montana, yes we have done damage once before to the bed but it was because the truck was lifted too high. A bulletnose is the answer to this problem if you are concerned about clearance.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:09 PM

Hey jrussel looks like you live in salt lake city. If this is right then if you look on ksl.com under camp and travel trailers there is a goose neck toy hauler for sale that may work for you here is a link http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=744015&cat=149&lpid=3
Hope this may help
Old 01-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jeepin
Hey jrussel looks like you live in salt lake city. If this is right then if you look on ksl.com under camp and travel trailers there is a goose neck toy hauler for sale that may work for you here is a link http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=744015&cat=149&lpid=3
Hope this may help
Hi Jeepin,

Thanks for the link, man! That is one sweet trailer but unfortunately I'm limited to 35' max total length because of my stupid driveway (or lack thereof! ).
Old 01-08-2007, 01:26 PM

What are you putting in the trailer?
Old 01-08-2007, 01:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jeepin
What are you putting in the trailer?
3000 - 3500lb rockcrawler in my avatar. I would estimate another 1k lbs in water/fuel/gear in addition to the buggy.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:05 PM

If you are looking for used at all there are alot of toy haulers on KSL.com.
I am hoping to have a setup like what you are talking about some day.
It would be nice to have one trailer for camping in and hauling the jeep.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:21 PM

jrussel I have a 28' carson funrunner tag with a car hauler option that I put my 4000# land cruiser buggy in. Ive made several trips to fordice and rubicon up hwy 70 and 80 over donner sumitt with no probs. use a distrbution hitch and sway control and go for it. It took a little while to figure out tounge weight ( few trips around the block). Im sure a 5er will tow alot beter,but I still have room for my quad in the back. Ill try and post some picts. when I get home

Dustin
Old 01-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Banned

Dustin, does your Carson have a divided garage/cargo area or are the spaces open and combined? What's the dry weight and cargo capacity of the trailer (and ramp door)?

Thanks

Justin
Old 01-08-2007, 04:19 PM
Banned

Did some searching on Carson's site and found most of the answers to my questions. They have a sweet looking front master bedroom floor plan with a door between the bedroom/bathroom section and kitchen/cargo section. It's actually rated to haul 6700lbs with a GVWR of 15k (triple axle)!

Here's a link
Old 01-08-2007, 05:16 PM

Yep thats the one, front master bed, triple axle. been a good trailer for a decent price. the only probs. i had were with the generator. Ill post more when I get home

Dustin

Quick Reply: Forest River "Work & Play" Toyhaulers