Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Ford rescue

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 08:22 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Regardless of what you use to secure a vehicle it should be secure via the axles or rims. By doing this it secures the part of a vehicle that does not move, and it allows the suspension to flex with the movement cab.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fords are okay, as long as you get a 650 with an ISB
Old 11-02-2009, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sorry, but I don't think I would let any of you guys that had to comment on the tie downs on that load tie down an empty box in an enclosed trailer for me. I mean really people, don't you have anything else to do then cut down someone elses work, are you really that insecure. He maybe should have tied it a little wider with the straps at less of an angle but apparently it didn't fall off and that is a legal method of securing that load. And if you really think that a chain is that much better than a good quality strap of adequate WLL, I will just shut my mouth. Anyways, sorry to upset anyone, just sick of seeing people cut down, especially on the towing part of the forum.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
All I saw was the two straps coming off the sides at right angles. Thats definatly NOT an accepted way to tie down a dynamic load like a truck. A flat box yes but cerinatly not a truck. There's nothing to prevent it from rolling back and forth when starting/stopping or from flying forward in the case of a panic stop/collision.

As well tying down the frame doesn't work well it it just compresses the suspension. Then when you go over bumps the load bounces and can pull the straps loose.

For a truck tying over the axles is the best, I personally use chains/boomers but others I travel with use straps over the axles and have no problems. For cars its difficult to go over the axles, professionals often use tire slings or tie to the frame/body, not great but not as bad as the suspesion in a car doesn't bounce as much. I did have one car that I couldn't do an alignment on as someone at some point had tied it down by the frame so tight it bent the frame.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bigdave
I'm sorry, but I don't think I would let any of you guys that had to comment on the tie downs on that load tie down an empty box in an enclosed trailer for me. I mean really people, don't you have anything else to do then cut down someone elses work, are you really that insecure. He maybe should have tied it a little wider with the straps at less of an angle but apparently it didn't fall off and that is a legal method of securing that load. And if you really think that a chain is that much better than a good quality strap of adequate WLL, I will just shut my mouth. Anyways, sorry to upset anyone, just sick of seeing people cut down, especially on the towing part of the forum.
I will respectfully say that I think you are reading my post wrong. I made it plain that I was not ragging on anyone. There are two ways of learning
1st is to make mistakes and have to pay the price as you learn.
2nd is to have someone point a mistake out to you before something bad happens and you can avoid trouble before it happens.
Not knowing the age or towing experience of Newblue I felt it could save him some grief in the future, after all that is what this site is about helping each other when we can.
If I have offended you my apologies.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:16 PM

I’ve lost tie down straps and I’ve seen chain binders break. The more, chains/tie downs the better. I usually bungee tie downs so any slack will be taken up until I can tighten them at a stop.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:47 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bigfoot
Not to nitpick but never ever use a tie down when you are hauling a vehicle. Chains are much safer not trying to flame you just give some advice from one that has made the same mistake. No don’t ask, but I will say that it involved a fast stop and a highway patrol.
I appreciate the advise......I have been guilty of using straps until bigfoot's comments and the response from the original poster. I prefer the 2nd method of learning. I for one didn't think bogfoot's response was a smarta$$ comment.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:34 AM

Boy, a Dodge towing a Ford and the Ford has a KTM sticker in the back window. Up here, we call them KT-KAboom.. due to the motors letting loose. They do make big power though...
Old 11-12-2009, 11:04 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Tiedowns?

I know some are born with the knowledge of how to tie down a load properly, the rest are taught or learned the hard way. For example a chain is not just a chain, grade 70 transport chain is not used to pull a truck out the ditch then used to tie down. I didn't know there even was a "grade 70 transport chain" until I was told. I had just used the common chains I had, and have used for "pulling trucks out of ditches over the years. Then we come to binders. I didn't know how bad a regular binder was until told about "ratchet binders".
Then we come to straps.. I have tons of them, some partially cut from a sharp edge. I didn't know about the little "red stripe" down the center and just how important it is until I was told. 4 crossed tie downs? who knew?

We all learn something new every day by talking and listening to others, that's why I'm here on this forum so never stop talking about "stuff", that's how we all learn.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:27 PM

I said I was sorry before I even finished the post. haha
Old 11-13-2009, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Busboy
I know some are born with the knowledge of how to tie down a load properly, the rest are taught or learned the hard way. For example a chain is not just a chain, grade 70 transport chain is not used to pull a truck out the ditch then used to tie down. I didn't know there even was a "grade 70 transport chain" until I was told. I had just used the common chains I had, and have used for "pulling trucks out of ditches over the years. Then we come to binders. I didn't know how bad a regular binder was until told about "ratchet binders".
Then we come to straps.. I have tons of them, some partially cut from a sharp edge. I didn't know about the little "red stripe" down the center and just how important it is until I was told. 4 crossed tie downs? who knew?

We all learn something new every day by talking and listening to others, that's why I'm here on this forum so never stop talking about "stuff", that's how we all learn.
What is the red line for?I have seen it but did not know it had a purpose.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:21 AM

i was wondering the same thing. what is that redline for
Old 11-13-2009, 09:51 AM

This is what the red line is for.

"Over stretched warning red line appears when maximum is reached for safety".
Old 11-13-2009, 03:44 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by klx650a2
This is what the red line is for.

"Over stretched warning red line appears when maximum is reached for safety".
That would be a good indication but..... DOT apparently look for the red line on tie downs. It supposedly indicates that the tie down is transport grade approved.