Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Flatbed question

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flatbed question

Can I install a 84"x112" or does it have to be the standard 84"x102"? Also pull a 8500lb trailer so need the receiver as well. Looking at the longest flat bed I can install for hauling my Can Am side by side. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:34 PM

I have a 9' bed on my 8' frame, and the bed came with the receiver built into it and it works great. Replaces the factory receiver. So, yours should work fine, as long as if you are going to pull a goose neck it still places the ball in front of your rear axle.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:02 PM

Yeah I won't be using the gooseneck. The bed receiver is what I'll be using. Glad to hear the 9' beds work fine on the 8' frame. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Which Can-Am?

My wife just got a Commander 800XT for my birthday/Father's Day since they were only a couple weeks apart, and I'm loving it!

-Kris
Old 07-22-2014, 09:24 PM

oh man, I missed that it was for hauling your can-am. when you get the bed on, just road trip it over to Idaho and we can break in the can am
Old 07-23-2014, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by hot_runner58
oh man, I missed that it was for hauling your can-am. when you get the bed on, just road trip it over to Idaho and we can break in the can am

Yeah haha already broke in. 1300 miles on my 2014 commander 1000xt. Been hauling it in the truck bed. Fits but a flatbed would be better. Send me a pic of your flatbed and what make.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've the '14 800XT and LOVE it!!!

I've seen that pic before. Did you post it on the Can-Am Commander forum? I was gonna load mine into the bed, but without the headache rack (and solid advice from the Commander forum) I bought a small trailer for it instead. I wasn't fond of experiencing a busted rear window like one of the guys over there posted about.

-Kris
Old 07-23-2014, 09:40 PM

I Think I got the pics posted with this one.
Attached Thumbnails Flatbed question-photo-1-2-.jpg   Flatbed question-photo-2-2-.jpg  
Old 07-23-2014, 09:44 PM

In the first pic, you can't even tell the bed is longer than the frame. They look nice. In the 2nd pic I tried to show the hitch, which is nicely built into the bed. Also, if you can see up by the welder on the headache rack, I cut a door into the headache rack, attached a hinge and a lock, and I can store tools inside the headache rack between the welder and the bed, and use the rest of the bed space for everything else. It is a Bradford Built bed, and they are built very well and made for the working man. There are other good beds out there too, like CM comes to mind, but if it is going to be longer than the frame and use the hitch made into the bed, make sure it is a well made bed.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by HMX-1
I've the '14 800XT and LOVE it!!!

I've seen that pic before. Did you post it on the Can-Am Commander forum? I was gonna load mine into the bed, but without the headache rack (and solid advice from the Commander forum) I bought a small trailer for it instead. I wasn't fond of experiencing a busted rear window like one of the guys over there posted about.

-Kris

Yeah that's why I have two 6x6 blocks mounted up front for that reason. Hauled my Rhino around that way for years. It's a little tighter width wise with the commander which is why I would like a flatbed. I have a 27' bumper pull camp trailer I tow so have to use this setup. Yeah I'm on commander forums. CommanderMT. Got to love the 14 models. All the bugs worked out. I've got almost 1400 miles on mine an no issues...

2014 XT 1000 Camo
Turnkey Doors
M12 Diesels w/Blackwater EVO's
DZ Sport Low
DZ Fan Override Kit
BRP Sport Roof
BRP Rear Wind Screen
Direction2 Full Tilt Windshield
Great Day Overhead Gun Rack
Holz Rear View Mirror
Twin Air Foam Filter w/Mav Post Filter
Amsoil Oil Products (engine,diffs,trans)
Street legal
MOLON LABE
Si vis pacem, para bellum!
"Gun Free Zone" = "Target Rich Environment"
Old 07-24-2014, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by hot_runner58
In the first pic, you can't even tell the bed is longer than the frame. They look nice. In the 2nd pic I tried to show the hitch, which is nicely built into the bed. Also, if you can see up by the welder on the headache rack, I cut a door into the headache rack, attached a hinge and a lock, and I can store tools inside the headache rack between the welder and the bed, and use the rest of the bed space for everything else. It is a Bradford Built bed, and they are built very well and made for the working man. There are other good beds out there too, like CM comes to mind, but if it is going to be longer than the frame and use the hitch made into the bed, make sure it is a well made bed.

Nice setup hot_runner. That 9' bed looks fine with your welder and all the stuff mounted on it. I've got my eye on the CM truck bed. SS model. Looks well built like your Bradford. It's 9'4" long x 7' wide. No wheel wells so hopefully would look fine on my truck.