Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Fiver wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fiver wheels

I stopped at the RV dealer that I bought my fiver from to see if they could get a spare for me since I don't have one. The conversation went like this: <br>Dealer: Can I help you?<br>Me: I was wondering if you could get me a tire and wheel for my trailer.<br>Dealer: (gave me a look like ???) Maybe. What is it on?<br>Me: Sportsmen with Al-Ko axles.<br>Dealer: Well, did you measure the spacing?<br>Me: You don't have a book to tell you what wheels are on which axles?<br>Dealer:Well..............NO.<br>At that point I just turned around and walked out. My question is does anybody know where the best place to get a wheel and tire for my trailer? I am going to put about 2,000 miles on the first part of July and would like to have a spare.
Old 05-10-2003, 08:53 PM

Re:Fiver wheels

rv dealer: uhhhh spare wheel?<br><br>ended up taking one off of the trailer and taking it to the tire store. My measurements were the same as theirs but it was good to get a confirmation. Had the tire and wheel the next day.<br><br>Ended up mounting mine beneath the rack I added on the back to hold the generator. Kind of a pain to get it up there. One of these days I will go to the junk yard and get one of those little winch things that the factory puts on the trucks to raise the tire up under the bed.<br><br>Mark
Old 05-10-2003, 11:46 PM

If you have 3,500 lb axles the bolt pattern will be (usually) 5 bolts on a 4.5&quot; bolt circle, also known as a Ford rim and will occasionally be 5 bolts on a 5&quot; bolt circle, also known as a Chevy rim. If you have 5,200 lb axles the bolt pattern will be (usually) 6 bolts on a 5.5&quot; bolt circle. The wheels will most likely be zero offset or nearly zero offset wheels. Pull one wheel, put it on the ground face up, put a straight edge across the face of the rim (not the face of the tire) and measure the distance from the back side of where the rim meets the brake drum to the straight edge. Now flip the tire over and make the same measurement. The difference in the two measurements is your offset. With this information any tire shop can order you a wheel.
Old 05-11-2003, 08:39 AM

Note to self. When buying a trailer at the dealer, get the spare tire at that time. Good thread. Now if I can just remember to do it.<br><br>~Dave
Old 05-11-2003, 12:29 PM

Don't go to the sales manager go to the service manager and they will know.<br><br>Some of the rims are stamped with their information. Pull one to see on the inside and or bring one in with you. Good luck!