Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Factory 7 pin connector on bumper no wires

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory 7 pin connector on bumper no wires

I just got this 2003 duelly USED and was told it has a towing package. Well while under the rear end I noticed there are no wires going to the connector in the bumper. Looks like there should be a plug to plug in but can't find one. There is a small 4 prong looks like factor just hanging

Has anyone else had this problem
2003 duelly, 6sp, 4dr
Old 01-14-2004, 03:35 PM

onearizoldman,
Could it be they disconnected the factory plug in favor of a "custom" one installed inside the bed?
Old 01-14-2004, 03:38 PM

there is no plug inside the bed. I know they must have been pulling something to have 70,000 on it in less then a year. There are holes in the bed where a 5r was there but no plugs or elec brake controler.
Old 01-14-2004, 03:52 PM

Can you get intouch with the previous owner?
Old 01-14-2004, 04:08 PM

No ! that is my problem it was a repro and sold at the auction in dallas and I purchased it in Ark. I am in Tucson.
Guess I will have to take the spare down and start tracking wires. Good thing I noticed it before hooking up the trailer and wondering why the lights didn't work.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:47 PM

Yup. Good luck. Hey by the way, I have the factory wire colors and function if it helps. There was a 10-pin connector driverside near the spare.
Factory Wiring Factory Wire Function
Harness Pin # Color
1 Open Open
2 White w/pink tracer Right turn
3 Purple w/black tracer Backup Lights
4 White w/red tracer +12 VDC
5 Black w/orange tracer Tail lights
6 Open Open
7 Blue Trailer Brakes
8 Black Ground
9 Black Ground
10 Yellow w/pink tracer Left turn
Old 01-14-2004, 04:56 PM

That will be a big help!!!
Thanks much
Old 01-14-2004, 04:57 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds to me like the truck didn't have the trailer tow package. My truck didn't have it when I purchased it and all it had was the 4 pole connector like what you're talking about. I had to have the dealer add the 7 pin connector and the Class IV hitch. Let us know what you find. After recent conversations here I'm wanting to crawl under mine and see if I have all of the wires I need.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:03 PM

I have the class iv hitch and there looks like the plug for the elec brakes under the dash. I just can't figure out what they used for a plug. Will get back under it tomorrow and let you know.
Thanks for the help
Old 01-14-2004, 05:33 PM

Did you say that the 7way is on the bumper ? If so, does it have the RAM logo on it? The RAM logo is a factory and/or dealer installed plug that would be part of the "towing package" (unless the average Joe wants to spend $70 or so on one (per dealer).

Anyway, I have the towing package and mine has the plug-in on the back of the 7way connector you are talking about. From there, the wire runs up about 6 inches a "y's" off to the 4way.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:40 PM

YES to everything. It is "Y'd" but didn't get time to track the other part of the Y at the 4 prong. Will do in the morning. Just looked like the reg wires that go to the rest of the back lights. Goes above the spare tire.
I was looking for a plug that might have just come loose, from the back of the RAM plug.
The front of the plugs shows the Ram and the wiring diagram on the flap.
Thanks
Old 01-14-2004, 09:04 PM
Banned

Someone might have cut out the 7 prong plug because of damage and mickey moused that other 4 prong on it. Or he was pulling surge brakes and didn't need any other wires??????
Old 01-14-2004, 09:08 PM

Not sure what happened to your but I was speaking with guy in my hood that was a service manager at a Dodge dealership until a few months ago (Now with Jeep) and he told me that all their 1500s came without the 7 pin connector installed. They, the dealer, would install it when it arrived. The kicker was that all 1500s came with the 7 pin connector whether they were ordered with the Tow package or not. The difference was that the Tow Package also came with the hitch. He wasn't sure on the 2500/3500s as they ordered very few and wasn't familiar with them.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:19 PM

When you are looking at the setup on your rig again, see if the plastic "flex-tubing" has been removed or cut back a bit. If so, I would agree with Spots on the fact that someone has been altering the factory wire harness.

The "flex-tubing" on mine hase a piece of tape of some sort at the end. Not electrical tape, but something that resembles it.

I will look at mine tomorrow to see the exact location and color setup.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:22 PM

Thanks guys I will check all this out in the morning and get back

Quick Reply: Factory 7 pin connector on bumper no wires