Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Easy on off

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easy on off

Going to put flat bed on truck.Need a 5th wheel hitch that I can remove fairly easy and fast, and still be able to reconect when time comes to move on.
As I had an accident awhile back, getting in and out of PU bed is not going to happen like it used to. Lifting is a no no, and after much doing exactly what they said not to, they are right.
I've searched alot of 5ther to gooseneck adaptors, don't know what to think, except, wow that looks easy.
What Iam trying to accomplish is pulling my 5ther toyhauler into a camp spot. dropping trailer, loading up ATV's on PU bed, and taking off.I'll need something rather simple to reconnect when we get ready to move. Wifes my age , 53,and it's tough to have to watch her try to make up for what I can't do anymore. She also knows, if she cant do it I'll be right back up there wrestling the hitch around again. So I need something, she'll buy into, or I'm gona be home for a very very long time.
The gooseneck adaptor or something like a Reese with the rails under the bed. Those 4 post on the Reese look like an easy move around if one has to manipulate it to get in the holes. Things like the B&W turnover ball with the companion hitch looks alittle more difficult if I am having to drop that square tube in that hole using the trailer jacks. Or is it balanced enough, that only with the one post, easly can be moved to the connection point.
Thanks
Old 04-21-2006, 12:26 PM

Nobody with multiple back operations?Nobody with disabilities rendering them useless?
Does this I'm screwed or just skewed?
Old 04-21-2006, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I assume you are looking for goose neck, since there are ball manufacturers that make a ball that can pop-up or sit flush in the bed.

My neighbor bought a new toyhauler last year, it was a 5'er. He bought an adapter that bolts (then welds) to the 5th box on the trailer to convert to goose neck.

I'll ask him who manufactured the adapter.

Tony
Old 04-21-2006, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by TonyB
I assume you are looking for goose neck, since there are ball manufacturers that make a ball that can pop-up or sit flush in the bed.

My neighbor bought a new toyhauler last year, it was a 5'er. He bought an adapter that bolts (then welds) to the 5th box on the trailer to convert to goose neck.

I'll ask him who manufactured the adapter.

Tony
Yes, Thanks. Thought maybee I should have started this thread, "Dropped on tailgate" or something.Must have been the way I phrased it all.
Bill
Old 04-22-2006, 10:15 AM

Maybe a small bed crane mounted at the front edge of the bed? I've thought about that one myself, my back certainly isn't what it used to be
Old 04-22-2006, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by DSjockey
Maybe a small bed crane mounted at the front edge of the bed? I've thought about that one myself, my back certainly isn't what it used to be
My 1st thought about your above comment was, " I asked for it "

But your absolutly right.I do remember using " Okie Polls " on flat bed trucks in the oil patch years back.( folding type of A frame one can put away rather easly )
] Thanks
Bill
Old 04-22-2006, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just use my pin puller to flip the 5th wheel hitch mounted in the deck structure over and put in 2 bolts, revrse the procees when done. Have a step built to slide into the reciever hitch for easy access of the flatdeck, toolbox and fuel tank. Back is not a problem hips are. PK
Old 04-22-2006, 05:01 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Be sure you contact your toyhauler manufacturer about using a gooseneck on the fiver - - it increases the stress on the front framing members, and when they break it is not fun - - been there and done that.

Why don't you consider leaving your fiver hitch hooked to the trailer, pull the four pins, then lift the hitch out as you raise the trailer. Reverse it to hook back up. I've seen several people use this method of removing their hitch.

Bob
Old 04-22-2006, 05:28 PM

Either convert your toyhauler to GN or sell it and buy one that is alredy GN. There are so many good GN hitches that retract down below the bed with zero effort...I don't know why anyone still uses a fiver, it makes your bed useless and I ALWAYS managed to get grease on my pant leg while trying to walk around it in the bed of the truck. I've heard some say the fiver offers a little less sway but I have a 48 foot 21K trailer that tows perfectly with the GN. Get rid of the fiver, you will be glad you did.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by FiverBob
Be sure you contact your toyhauler manufacturer about using a gooseneck on the fiver - - it increases the stress on the front framing members, and when they break it is not fun - - been there and done that.

Why don't you consider leaving your fiver hitch hooked to the trailer, pull the four pins, then lift the hitch out as you raise the trailer. Reverse it to hook back up. I've seen several people use this method of removing their hitch.

Bob
I was leaving everything connected as I dropped the trailer, pull the 4 pins etc. before my injury.I hated climbing in and out of the bed to do it for sure. Having a flat bed will make it easier .Thats probably the way I'll go 1st, then if it's still a pain consider the other options.My wife, who gives me a piece of her mind each time I" may" do something which "may" injury me more, is my main concern. If I can keep it simple and easy, where even she could master it with little effort,It'll be fun. If not, I'll have to duct tape her mouth. It's bad enough not being able to do those simple things, without having to hear from your wife, " your all washed up honey"
Actualy shes a great woman.Don't ever want her to be in my fix.If I can gain her confidence that it's going to be as it was before because I/we made it easier. then we can enjoy the outdoors again. If not ?
Thanks every body