Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Dometic Refrigerator Recall

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 05:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I checked mine this weekend, Model number is on the list but not the serial number. I have a 2003 5er and had a problem with the refrigerator from the time it was new, they keep doing fixes on it until last spring when they replaced it with a new one, works great now.

I wish someone could post pictures of where this crack can develop in the boiler tube. Some of us that are not on the recall would sleep better at night if we new where to look for this crack. Just to see with my own eyes if there is or not a crack.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:36 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlCorr
I wish someone could post pictures of where this crack can develop in the boiler tube. Some of us that are not on the recall would sleep better at night if we new where to look for this crack. Just to see with my own eyes if there is or not a crack.
10-4 on the pictures. My TT is set up in the country and has not moved in over three years. I'd like to be sure it has a problem before I buy new tires and wag it to the dealer for repair.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:11 PM

Check rv.net. Look at the Tech Issues forum. They have a sticky at the top. Lots of info AND pictures regarding this.

Casey
Old 03-28-2007, 12:44 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Casey Balvert
Check rv.net. Look at the Tech Issues forum. They have a sticky at the top. Lots of info AND pictures regarding this.

Casey
I put a Sticky back on this thread and here is the link for the posts on the rv.net website. CLICK HERE

Thanks Casey
Old 04-02-2007, 12:47 AM
Banned

i would like to see those pictures but can't find them.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:31 PM

Look on page 41 of that thread. Other pictures on other pages as well. Shows the problem area. A lot of people including myself are going to an aftermarket heater. The spec calls for 44 ohms resistance and mine was 37 ohms. Putting out too much heat in my opinion. Dometics fix is a band-aid solution at best to prevent a fire but doesn't address the cause of the failures. I hope that by using a properly rated heater, I will be able to avoid a future failure.

Casey
Old 04-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Weg

Originally Posted by Casey Balvert
Look on page 41 of that thread. Other pictures on other pages as well. Shows the problem area. A lot of people including myself are going to an aftermarket heater. The spec calls for 44 ohms resistance and mine was 37 ohms. Putting out too much heat in my opinion. Dometics fix is a band-aid solution at best to prevent a fire but doesn't address the cause of the failures. I hope that by using a properly rated heater, I will be able to avoid a future failure.

Casey
Dometic also blames the problem on too much heat. In the time period of the fridges in the recall they went to a higher heating element.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:14 PM
Weg

Today is the first day that Authorized Dealerships/Service Centers are allowed to order parts from Dometic. Just thought that I would remind everyone to get it done.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:39 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmmm.......mine is an '01 with the dreaded model and serial number, but I haven't recivied a notice.

I use mine at my place in the country, and it hasn't been moved in about 5 years. I guess I'll have to buy tires and pack the wheel bearings before I can take it in.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Banned

anyone here of any parts actually being delivered?
Old 05-07-2007, 07:35 PM
P.J
Banned

Gosh, I'm lazy. I just got out there and opened ours up on Sunday. Sanitized the fresh water tank and fired up the appliances.

I really need to take a minute and check out my serial #, I know with my luck I have one of the ones........
Old 05-07-2007, 08:05 PM
Weg

Originally Posted by duner
anyone here of any parts actually being delivered?

Yes, Dometic is actively shipping out recall kits, my shop has done over a dozen so far. As long as the authorized service centers call Dometic up and order the kits they get them usually within 2-3 business days.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:16 AM

Just checked mine and it's OK, Thanks for the info.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:50 AM

I just bought an 04 Weekend Warrior FS2600 and unfortunately the Dometic Fridge was on the recall list. I took it to my local RV dealer and they performed the recall in about 45 minutes or less. Added some sort of heat shield and sensor. Anyway the fridge worked good before and seems fine now too.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:55 AM

Dometic recall

Dometic will not send any notice to customers. You need to contact their customer service Dept. and I believe there is a phone number for the recall.

My unit got a hole burnt into the cooling line. Talked with local dealer, no warranty. Cost of repair close to $800. Five months later wife read about recall. We contacted Dometic got a recall packet, filled it out and sent it back with our recipt and got reinbursed for the total cost.

Be proactive do not wait.

Quick Reply: Dometic Refrigerator Recall