Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Towing and Hauling / RV (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/towing-hauling-rv-95/)
-   -   Dometic Refrigerator Recall (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/towing-hauling-rv-95/dometic-refrigerator-recall-141386/)

Weg 03-12-2007 08:05 PM

Dometic Refrigerator Recall

This morning a customer came into my shop and notified me of a recall that I did not know about and thought that I would let everyone on this forum know.

Dometic is recalling a bunch of fridges with a production date of April 1997 - May 2003. The boiler tube is cracking and causes a potential fire hazard. To see if your fridge falls under the recall you need your model number and serial number and go to this website and it will tell you.

http://www.dometic.com/enus/Americas...l-Information/

duner 03-12-2007 09:25 PM

mines in the batch, thanks for the tip. i wonder when people are going to be notified, i bought my warrior new so they know where i am. thanks again.

Weg 03-12-2007 09:26 PM

Like it says in there parts aren't going to be available until Mid April. This customer came in with the notice that they sent them. My shop has had no official notice yet which they usually send me one also.

dssimecek 03-12-2007 09:31 PM

Have to chek mine. It died sometime when I was away from Casa Grande,AZ Dont knowif I have the model in my secret notebook somwhare.
Note [nonono] Don't want that to happen with food in there and be gone[yuk] ,

shep1 03-12-2007 11:31 PM

I received a notice yesterday, Haven't checked my fridge yet, maybe tomorrow.
Trailer is still in storage although it was sunny and 70 deg. today. "Gettin itchy to go campin" [roll]

yfz450guy 03-12-2007 11:53 PM

i will have to check mine too.

duner 03-13-2007 08:43 PM

notice to admin

i think this needs to be stickied so someone doesn't wind up fried in the middle of the night.

Totallyrad 03-13-2007 10:02 PM

We can leave it up for a couple days for you.

duner 03-14-2007 06:36 PM

called the 800 number today and found that they are going to install a secondary burner housing on the units not leaking already and fix the ones that are leaking by sealing them with some type of sealer, girl i spoke with didn't know what it was, and then do the secondary burner housing. near as i can tell it's basically a brace of sorts. repairs are only supposed to take 15-20minutes so it can't involve too much.

Weg 03-14-2007 08:36 PM

It is installing a separate burner assembly and installing fuses, basically to make it a non fire hazard if the ammonia-hydrogen mix leaks out of the crack.

They claim that it is a 15-20 minute fix with no special tools but you have to have an authorized service center do it (they will only send the parts to an authorized service center).

As far as the sealant for crack they didn't tell me anything about that. Just that if my shop came across one I would have to call and get authorization to get the right parts shipped to me (they were talking like they would replace the entire cooling unit on the back of the fridge) but I guess we will see.

RATTLINRAM 03-17-2007 07:47 PM

My Dad got a letter for the one in his 2001 Keystone Cougar yesterday and I checked the website to find that the fridge in my 2002 Cougar is in the batch also. I haven't received a letter yet and Dad and I got our 5ers from the same dealer about six months apart from each other. I guess I can be expecting a letter too. If I'm reading the Dometic website correctly, it appears that you don't need any documentation as long as the model and serial numbers are in the recall.

I will leave this stickied for a while due to the serious nature.
Thanks for the heads up Weg.

P.J 03-17-2007 07:58 PM

Mines an 04 (I'm sure built in early 2003). I'm going to check the numbers tomorrow.
Thanks for the heads up.

Weg 03-18-2007 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by RATTLINRAM (Post 1412831)
My Dad got a letter for the one in his 2001 Keystone Cougar yesterday and I checked the website to find that the fridge in my 2002 Cougar is in the batch also. I haven't received a letter yet and Dad and I got our 5ers from the same dealer about six months apart from each other. I guess I can be expecting a letter too. If I'm reading the Dometic website correctly, it appears that you don't need any documentation as long as the model and serial numbers are in the recall.

I will leave this stickied for a while due to the serious nature.
Thanks for the heads up Weg.

This is very interesting, do you have the production date of the trailer? Was it actually built back in 01? I love it when they say it applied to trailers from such and such date and they are totally off [laugh] .

No problem in posting them up, I try to post everyone that my shop sees to let everyone know. Come Monday I can get the 800 number for anyone that hasn't received a notice and for anyone else that has comments if you want.

TurboTed 03-18-2007 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Weg (Post 1413590)
This is very interesting, do you have the production date of the trailer? Was it actually built back in 01? I love it when they say it applied to trailers from such and such date and they are totally off [laugh] .

No problem in posting them up, I try to post everyone that my shop sees to let everyone know. Come Monday I can get the 800 number for anyone that hasn't received a notice and for anyone else that has comments if you want.

I think the recall says it applies to fridges manufactured between April 97 and May 03. My brother's trailer is an 03. I put in his serial and model no's, and the recall does apply. My trailer is an 05 which was built in 04. I thought my fridge could possibly be an 03. The model no of the fridge is under recall, but not that paticular fridge, as the serial no indicates it was built after May 03.:cool:

Weg 03-18-2007 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by TurboTed (Post 1413993)
I think the recall says it applies to fridges manufactured between April 97 and May 03. My brother's trailer is an 03. I put in his serial and model no's, and the recall does apply. My trailer is an 05 which was built in 04. I thought my fridge could possibly be an 03. The model no of the fridge is under recall, but not that paticular fridge, as the serial no indicates it was built after May 03.:cool:

You are right, I wasn't thinking this morning obviously. It does apply until May of 2003.