Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Dog

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dog

Any ideas as to where to put the dog? I tow a TT and really don't want the dog in the cab of the truck, (to much hair) . I've thought about a carrier but not sure how to tie it down or protect it from the weather. Colorado law says she can't be in the trailer. Ideas?
Old 01-11-2006, 06:41 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A dog box wont fit behind the cab? You can pick one up at Cabellas, or make one fairly cheap...
Old 01-11-2006, 07:50 AM

I'd get a carrier for the dog and put in the trailer. Colorado laws it cant ride in the trailer? That makes no sense. Put him in the back of the truck in a carrier then.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:54 AM

Put him in the cab in a carrier. No hair that way. Everyone B happy.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:51 AM
Chapter President

I have the wire cage that rides in the bed. I have fitted a plastic tarp to it to protect her from the sun and rain. She loves it.....when I drop the tailgate, she knows where to go.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:57 AM

I wouldn't put my dog in a trailer
Old 01-11-2006, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Patrick Campbell
I wouldn't put my dog in a trailer
No dogs in trailers, but unsecured dogs in the cab are just as dangerous in a rollover. Put the dogs in crates in the bed of the truck, and secure them well. They dont mind they love the wind.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Even if you only like your dog just a little bit,,,,,,, DON'T put it in the TT. I would leave mine home before I would do that. Trailers get hot, the ride is probably rough enough to make even the best riding dog sick,,,, and in the event of a serious accident, more than likely, the dog would not survive.
We have three Micro-Mutts that go with us all the time. They all wear harnesses and leads are clipped in the seat belt to keep them from exiting the truck. I have leather interior, so we just put a blanket on the back seat that can be shaken out when we stop. If you don't think this would stop the hair problem, I think the suggestion of a carrier inside or secured in the bed with some kind of protection is best.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:22 AM

I have 3 dogs that ride in the gooseneck area of our horse trailer. Never thought to look at the Oregon laws! They stay cool! Ya gotta have some ventalation...mabe open some windows a tad...! Oh...how many cops pulled you over and said "let me look in your trailer for illegels"!
Old 01-11-2006, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by xyzer
Oh...how many cops pulled you over and said "let me look in your trailer for illegels"!
LOL!

I had that happen to me at a roadblock near Bisbee Az!
Old 01-11-2006, 01:14 PM

Why would it be o.k. to transport other kinds of animals in trailers, but not dogs? I understand why some individuals wouldn't want to do it for personal reasons, but why is it a legal issue?

I would say a secured cage in the bed is your best bet or a truck cap...I wouldn't think the elements should be too big of a problem as long as they have cover and ventilation. Regardless of where they ride, I wouldn't keep them caged up for extremely long periods of time while the vehicle is sitting.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:43 PM

I put a blanket down on the rear bench seat and my dog rides in back seat. I wouldn't want to subject my dog to 14 hour stints in the bed with the 4" straight pipe screaming the whole time.... not to mention the wind noise. He rides in the climate controlled, quiet cab and is a good theft deterent system when I run inside a truck stop or store for few minutes.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:49 PM
Banned

Just curious, what kind of dog is it? Our Chuiahua rides in the cab, my buddies hunting dogs ride in dog boxes in the bed. Where my GSP will ride after I get her.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb And still another idea,,,,,,,,

I almost forgot,,,,,, when our grandaughter was two,,,,,, here is the idea she came up with.

This is when we only had the two Mexican-Micro-Mutts and you will notice that Cockroach (sitting on the seat) does not look too eager to take Roo's place. Believe it or not,,,,, Roo actually enjoyed sitting there with J.D. for almost an hour!
Old 01-11-2006, 05:26 PM

I put a foam pad on the fold flat floor with a fuzzy blanket over it. Thats where our chocolate lab rides. If we're going through town he makes jesters with his head for me to roll the window down part way so he can get his nose in the breeze. He likes to rest his head on the center box. When ever we see a dog in the back of a p/u I remind him of how good he has it. I've been thinking of a way to attach some kind of saftey net to keep him secure in the back seat if ever we were in an accident. It probably won't be long before PETA has us seat belting our pets in. How did we ever survive growing up in the 50's & 60's ?

Hey shep1 you could always give that dog of yours a military hair cut.

Quick Reply: Dog