Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

do i really need a cdl?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RickG
Could you quote the exact regulation ruling this ? I question it because plenty of RV transporters in IN that don't have a CDL transport trailers with GVW's over 10,000 lbs. Never mind what some DOT officer told you . Read and quote the reg .
http://www.in.gov/dor/mcs/pdf/cdl.pdf

Go to Page 46.
I know a guy that hauled campers, and since it was being done for profit he did have to have a CDL. Its not regularly enforced though, and they turned a blind eye at FEMA haulers for awhile.
If you are hauling your personal traveltrailer for recreation only then you are exempt from a CDL, however, as soon as you haul for commercial/profit, or competition purposes you must have a CDL.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by kennedy
http://www.in.gov/dor/mcs/pdf/cdl.pdf

Go to Page 46.
I know a guy that hauled campers, and since it was being done for profit he did have to have a CDL. Its not regularly enforced though, and they turned a blind eye at FEMA haulers for awhile.
If you are hauling your personal traveltrailer for recreation only then you are exempt from a CDL, however, as soon as you haul for commercial/profit, or competition purposes you must have a CDL.
I appreciate you posting the reg but my computer wouldn't pull it up . You must be misinterpeting something . There are thousands of expeditors out there running vans without CDLs . I hauled campers myself and transport companies do not require contractors to have CDL's . I have been in the office and heard dispatch ask for a CDL driver for huge triaxles that would result in a GCVW of over 26,000 lbs .
Old 07-04-2006, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
Here in Va if your trailer has a gvw of 10,000+ you are required to have a CDL.
not if you are hauling your stuff. that is commercial only.

That is based on the fcmsa book, the dot guys at the weigh station I stopped in and asked about it, AND the fact that when I was stopped for no inspection sticker on the loaded trailer (14k rated), I didn't even get asked about a cdl.

They all say if I am hauling my own stuff, I don't need one.

If you find out otherwise, please get the proof to me, so I can get one.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by TRCM
not if you are hauling your stuff. that is commercial only.

That is based on the fcmsa book, the dot guys at the weigh station I stopped in and asked about it, AND the fact that when I was stopped for no inspection sticker on the loaded trailer (14k rated), I didn't even get asked about a cdl.

They all say if I am hauling my own stuff, I don't need one.

If you find out otherwise, please get the proof to me, so I can get
one.
I think that's where most people get confused, you normally have many more requirements for commercial, and very few if any for recreational use.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:00 AM

I started transporting RV's for a carrier in IN, with a Class D (FL) license. But in order to haul the bigger RV's, the carrier required a Class A CDL, whenever the combined CGVWR (truck/trailer) exceeded 26,000 lbs.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:38 PM

When I was in question I called up the Sec of state here in Illinois and they transferred me to the commercial div. I told them what I wanted to do which was haul cars with my one ton pickup. The only question that they ask me was the GVWR of the power unit and the GVWR of the trailer. I have an 01 GMC which is 11,400 pds and my trailer has been tagged for 14601 pds even though I was 3 7K axels. I was told that I do not need a CDL, the only time I would need a CDL is if the combination of the two was over 26001 pds. If anyone is in question just call up your Sec of state and they will point you in the right direction. I thought that this was federal law but hearing other people from different states, it seems to be some confusing around this subject. I'm not sure who's right or wrong but I would make the phone call to be on the safe side of things.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:21 PM

Not to be nit picky, but it a CDL is required if the combination of the GVWRs is over 26000, not over 26001.

That is the federal law... Other states can be more strict than the federal but not more lax. I am not sure exactly how you will be treated if going through a state with more strict laws if your home state follows the base federal rules.

BTW my truck is at 12000, trailer 14000.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Patrick Campbell
People will also say 10,000# trailer weight is a magic number, but I haven't found anything stating this. A

ccording to the FMCSA, you don't need a CDL if your GCWR (trailer GVWR + truck GVWR) is less than or equal to 26,000 lbs.

In this case, you will likely be over this with a 40 foot flatbed. What is the GVWR of your trailer?
License classes refer to the weight limits. Under federal law, it is up to each state to define this. Your state's statutory law for vehicles and roadways will have the limit pertaining to the 10,000 pounds (as you referenced above) defined; usually it is associated with the class of license a driver must maintain. Generally, it paraphrases as:

Class A license:
Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more,
if the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the towed vehicle or vehicles exceeds 10,000 pounds.
GVWR means the value specified by the manufacturer as the loaded weight of a single vehicle.

Class B license:
Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, a single vehicle with a
gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more towing a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating
of 10,000 pounds or less.

These are weights that the trailer is rated for or will reasonably fit if no GVWR is indicated, not that is actually on it at the time.

And guys, Ive gone round with a few of you on this. You only need a CDL, unless your state dictates otherwise, if you are for hire or engaged in business while driving/towing. Title 49 CFR, part 383 reads, "Drivers must hold a CDL if they operate in interstate, intrastate or foreign commerce and drive a vehicle: With a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or gross combination weight (GCVW) of at least 26,001 pounds or; Designed to transport at least 16 passengers including the drivers; or transporting a quantity of hazardous material requiring placarding. Because the CDL is a state-issued license, you should check with appropriate State officials regarding particular license classes and specific exemptions."
Old 07-25-2006, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Patrick Campbell
Not to be nit picky, but it a CDL is required if the combination of the GVWRs is over 26000, not over 26001.

That is the federal law... Other states can be more strict than the federal but not more lax. I am not sure exactly how you will be treated if going through a state with more strict laws if your home state follows the base federal rules.

BTW my truck is at 12000, trailer 14000.
You only have to be iegal in one state.The one in which the truck is tagged.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by codered
i live in colorado and occasionally tow a 40' flatbed from nebraska back to colorado. loaded trailer weight is around 19,000 to 20,000. people are telling me if the truck and trailer weight total exceeds 15,000 i need a cdl. that don't seem right as that only leaves me just over 7,000 beyond truck weight that i could pull. anyone know the real deal???

Your truck and trailer must be registered for the weight of each or less if you want and a CDL is needed if the total of the 2 is over 26,000 lbs.
Your 2500 is rated for 8800 lbs. and your trailer is what 20,000? So this would be 28,800 lbs. YES you need CDL! If you are hauling anything to make money you must have DOT also.

You can drive an RV as big as you want!
Old 07-25-2006, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by RickCJ
Your truck and trailer must be registered for the weight of each or less if you want and a CDL is needed if the total of the 2 is over 26,000 lbs.
Your 2500 is rated for 8800 lbs. and your trailer is what 20,000? So this would be 28,800 lbs. YES you need CDL! If you are hauling anything to make money you must have DOT also.

You can drive an RV as big as you want!
The mistake you and others are making is you think a class A is automatically a CDL. Not so. Some states require a Class A license for certain trailers and combos, but a CDL is a COMMERCIAL drivers license and the requirements to have one are the same in every state.

As for registered weight, Oregon, and possibly other states, register pick-ups as passenger vehicles with no weight specified. When I stop at the scales in Wyoming (the only state I operate in that seems to care about what RV transporters GCWRs are) they look at my registration and wave me out the door.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Understanding that none (or at least most) of you are not lawyers and that I need to contact my local state DMV or other appropriate agency for an authoritative answer, - let me ask this question:

I'm currently building a GMC 3500HD (approx. 15K GVW, 19.5" wheels, etc. and yes, I plan to make it Cummins powered ) that I plan to use to pull a 35' bumper-pull travel trailer. I will also be using it at times to pull a single-vehicle, tandem-axle car hauler hauling for my own personal use only - no commercial, contract, or for-hire hauling.

What license, tags, inspections, etc. should I plan to get to stay legal?
Old 07-26-2006, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by 12valve@heart
Understanding that none (or at least most) of you are not lawyers and that I need to contact my local state DMV or other appropriate agency for an authoritative answer, - let me ask this question:

I'm currently building a GMC 3500HD (approx. 15K GVW, 19.5" wheels, etc. and yes, I plan to make it Cummins powered ) that I plan to use to pull a 35' bumper-pull travel trailer. I will also be using it at times to pull a single-vehicle, tandem-axle car hauler hauling for my own personal use only - no commercial, contract, or for-hire hauling.

What license, tags, inspections, etc. should I plan to get to stay legal?

You just need proper weight license for you truck and both trailers! Whatever OK does for inspections. If you are just for fun nothing else applies.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:30 AM

It goes by the state its registered in. In NV we have class A non cdl licensing. Thats what I have. It does not require a physical. I am legal to drive anything, doubles, triples etc....as long as its not for PROFIT. The contents I have to own and be personal property.

Remeber that your actual weight is not what counts, its what you are tagged for, if your trailer is 15k gvw and your truck is 11001 your over unless you have a class a. RVs for some reason seem to have different /no rules at all due to manufacturer lobbing.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:15 AM

Thought I would throw in my 2 cents on this one. Federal law mandated the states to administer, license, and enforce CDL's, and they have all done so, and not all the same. One post said you have to be legal in the state you are licensed, that is probably the only thing you can do to be legal. If I were you guy's hauling heavy with these pickup trucks, I would be more concerned about the liability aspect of it. If you get in an accident or any type of liable situation that involves law enforcement, the first thing they look at around here is the GCVW rating label that is required by the manufacturer. If you are found to be overweight in this situation you are usually going to pay and your insurance company is not obligated to... Had a dually a while back, don't remember what the GCVW was, but probably not over 21k?..Something to think about guys in this day and time.........

Quick Reply: do i really need a cdl?