Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Cb antenna and 5er

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cb antenna and 5er

I'm wanting to add a cb on my new '14. Outside a magnetic/permanent instal on the roof, which is better when pulling a 5er a fender or stake pocket mount?
I plan on using a short stick so I can get in and out of the garage and still use the cb for what ever, but when pulling the 5er, I want to be able to communicate, so I thought having a second longer tuned stick/whip would work for that. I just can't decide whether to put on the fender or stake.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:33 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Spitse
I'm wanting to add a cb on my new '14. Outside a magnetic/permanent instal on the roof, which is better when pulling a 5er a fender or stake pocket mount?
I plan on using a short stick so I can get in and out of the garage and still use the cb for what ever, but when pulling the 5er, I want to be able to communicate, so I thought having a second longer tuned stick/whip would work for that. I just can't decide whether to put on the fender or stake.
A lot depends on what the front few feet of the fiver is made of. A lot of metal would soak up a lot of the radiation from a stake pocket antenna.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:24 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I use a stick on antenna on the rear cab window. It has a swivel so it can be lowered when going in the garage or a parking garage. Has pretty good range, unobtrusive and quite adequate for normal usage. It is easily tuned for standing wave ratio. I use a rooftop magnetic for maximum range on trips. You can pick up the stickon at Radio Shack.
Bob
Old 08-03-2014, 11:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The base that the antenna is mounted on makes a huge difference in range and clarity. A tuned antenna on a large flat base will give you the best overall performance. That's why magnetic mounts in the center of the roof are so popular.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What you stick it on makes it the ground plane. Put it more to the back of the truck and you will get more reception in front, put it in the front of the truck and you get more reception behind. Mount it more to the right, you get more to the left, etc. Most antenna are loaded. Meaning you don't see most of the antenna. It's coiled inside the mount. I used to run a full whip with a spring mount. I'd go under anything. The longer 'antenna' you see, the less it is wound in the base. It's based on a 1/4 wave length.
Go to a actual CB shop. Once installed, you need to adjust the SWR's. Some radios (the higher end ones) came with a SWR meter built in and you could adjust them with a little allen wrench on the base of the antenna. Pull it up/out for more, in/down for less.
And yes, the difference in cheap radios and higher end ones are like night and day. Wanta talk farther? Get one with sideband. A decent radio is (or was, I've been out of it for quite a few years) is a Cobra 29LTD. The Cobra 148 are better. Make sure you have the radio "clipped and peaked" for more power.
If you are in the DE/PA/NJ/MD area I can tell you a good place to go.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:20 PM

@ gasjr4wd I live in north eastern pa and am thinking of adding a cb to my truck i was wondering if you could recommend a place in this area
Old 10-12-2014, 01:17 PM

PM sent
Old 10-12-2014, 01:29 PM

Received and thank you
Old 10-13-2014, 09:52 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
A lot depends on what the front few feet of the fiver is made of. A lot of metal would soak up a lot of the radiation from a stake pocket antenna.
virtually all fifth wheel trailers are fiberglass front caps, although the frames are probably aluminum. but that shouldn't affect a c b radio, i had my antennas (dual 102 inch stainless whips) mounted on the fender...no problems
Old 10-13-2014, 01:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're really worried about it, have you thought about doing a front bumper mount?

I know a lot of folks worry about signal DB loss pulling a 5'er, but most of them have a front made of fiberglass so it shouldn't affect the CB that much. If it it some kind of metal, the bumper mount should move it far enough away to help reduce the loss.

-Kris
Old 10-13-2014, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by HMX-1
If you're really worried about it, have you thought about doing a front bumper mount?

I know a lot of folks worry about signal DB loss pulling a 5'er, but most of them have a front made of fiberglass so it shouldn't affect the CB that much. If it it some kind of metal, the bumper mount should move it far enough away to help reduce the loss.

-Kris
Mounted on the front bumper will limit your forward range greatly, but you should be able to pickup behind you very well.
The best overall spot should be top of the cab, in the center.
All this should be asked at a quality radio/CB shop.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
I have a mag mount on top of my cab, and I did not have much of a problem talking to anyone behind me while pulling my travel trailer.