Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Caulking my RV

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 08:07 PM
TJE

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Caulking my RV

I put a thread on here a while back on what to use for the roof of my 5th wheel, and you all helped out a lot. The problem it is still leaking where it was! I think it is because the caulking around the nose piece is not in good shape. What do I use to caulk the nose piece? The same thing as the roof? Also how often should I recaulk everything?

Thanks, Tony
Old 06-09-2008, 10:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found some latex elastameric caulk at True Value that's recommended for rubber roofs. Craig
Old 06-10-2008, 05:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One thing to check that happened to me. We had a hail storm, and the only vent that didn't have a Max-Air over it developed some cracks. Well I put some duck tape over the cracks and called it good. I never saw any water come through that vent cover, but the next vent forward would get a slow drip sometimes. I caulked the heck out of that area, and still got the drip. Soon after all the caulking, I put a Max-Air over the duct taped bathroom vent...no more drip at the vent ten feet forward! Water must have been making it's way under the rubber roof from the bathroom area to the next vent area.
This only happened a couple times, but it drove me nuts, and yeah I probably should have just replace the vent lid, but I had been meaning to put a MaxAir on the bath for a while anyway.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:52 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I'd carefully remove all the old caulk, wipe it down with a mineral spirit dampened rag (do not use acetone or anything that contains petrolium products) and redo the caulk with Dicor brand self leveling lap sealant...

It will be time consuming, but when you are done it will be well sealed.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:43 AM

I'm not sure if it will work for you, but I use Volkum(spelling) when installing window, doors on my house. Its Great. Bonds well, and will adhere even if it is raining. Variety of colors.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:28 PM

Eternabond tape.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:45 PM

I just had a similar issue with mine. I talked to the techs at a local RV repair shop, not a dealer. They work on everything from from a popup to some of the nascar rigs. They told me to use 100% pure silicone on everything except the edm roof seals. They said the latex stuff is not flexible enough and it will leak. Oh, all my leaks have stopped. JMHO
Old 06-10-2008, 08:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vulkem is the only way to go.