Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Can someone explain Weigh Stations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 09:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by induchman
I want to be there when the TN trooper busts you for impeding traffic and making false reports! We'll see who's laughing then.

http://www.state.tn.us/safety/news%2...vethpmerge.htm
What this actually means is that the Truck Safety division is done away with and every trooper and probably each municipal cop is now a DOT inspector. That is what they did not Alabama, each town government is encouraged to send their local cops to DOT school. Quite a deal, go up a two lane road from town to town and take the chance of every inexperienced local cop stopping you for a DOT check. And the noose tightens.

In Alabama if you are pulled over for any reason, regardless of how trivial, you get some form of DOT check. At least all you permits and logs, etc.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think a few of you guys need to either re-read my post or go back to school and work on your reading comprehension.
I plainly stated that I try to anticipate the need of upcoming drivers to pass me and I do all that I can to accomodate them by either speeding up or slowing down and getting over.
I called the police because the trucker tailgated me trying to intimidate me. If you are justifying actions like that, you need your license pulled.
If I am in the process of passing and a vehicle comes up behind me, I will accellerate up to 80mph to get on around, I wont go faster. If you cant wait 2 or 3 seconds......... tough! My life is more important.

Now, go take a chill pill and try to re-read my post.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:28 PM

You know I have to agree with alot thats being said here. I can't remember all of the people to who said what. But on the tailgateing issue. When I'm driving ( truck or semi ) If someone is passing another car then I am patient, very patient. But when I'm in the far left ( legal ) lane and someone rides that lane then what do you do. At 60 mph you need a football field and half braking distance. Now would you think I was wanting buy if I was that far back? You either sit there and ever persone behiund you thinks it's your fault because no one can see around you, or do you give them the hint? Run up close behind to say wake up there are other people on the road would you please move over. There is a fine line between defesive driving and offesnsive driving. I say this because I'm a career firefighter and a part-time driver. So I look at booth ends. Everytime you get behind the wheel you take a chance, and driving is mostly comon since. I don't have a problem with people speeding, I wish they would take speed limits away on the interstates. Speed doesent kill, until someone messes up. If people would take the time to think about what they were doing when driving and know something about the vehicle there driving, highways would be safer. Maintance causes alot of accidents, because people don't care. My dad is the worlds worst about driving. He thinks because he doesen't speed he's a perfect driver. We can think the police for that because thats all they seem to enforce is speeding, not if you can drive or not. Dad is the most lazeiest driver I know. All over the road not paying attention to things going on around while driving. I like to say alot is " Wake up and drive " Driving is a pet peive of mine, and if somone wants to drive slow then thats fine by me, because everybody might not be able to handle that speed, but use some curtouisy for the other drivers, same for the drivers who drive fast, give the slow ones respect. Lastly, when a big truck is trying to pass someone, give them a min. They might be governed at a certian speed and can't just mash the gass to get around them.

I fill better now

Kimrey
Old 05-19-2004, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those of us that have a lot of experience driving emergency with a heavy vehicle, pushing a fire truck, through heavy traffic and on sholders etc, tend to have a different outlook on driving. I understand this and try to keep with the picture. There sure are times when I would love to have strobes on the truck which basically say, get out of the way...

In heavy traffic that is slowed some, it is impossible to not tailgate, the cars will not let you maintain a comfortable distance. A happy medium has to be found where the cars will not pour in front of you, but you maintain the best distance.

On the left lane riding, there are sections of highway here that are so rough that I use the left lane, keep the speed up to a tad over the limit and the four wheelers can stuff it. Maybe someday the powers that be will ride in a truck down them and pave them. Some of these roads have the same pavement that was on when I moved to the south, over 35 years ago.

I have always wondered why the trucks are afraid to go over 3 or 4 mph over the limit, but we hold up the regular traffic, get fingers, road rage, etc. On these roads my truck will keep what ever speed I desire to travel. Ever watch someone that has road rage because you blocked their path doing 75, when they finally get around they stay in the left lane. Which of the ten commandments says that the four wheeler has the left lane to himself but the truck as to move over? It is different when you are tryuing to get up a hill below speed limit and a four wheeler is doing slower in the left lane. That is his right
Old 05-25-2004, 12:25 PM

Interesting posts....all. My father was an OTR trucker and he taught me to respect them. I always try to stay out of their way and if they come up behind me starting up a mountain pass, I will MASH the pedal to get out of their way......they need a run at the hill, I don't.

I always flash my lights when they are passing me to let them know that they are clear, and I always try to keep out of their blind spots........

Remember this, they are a lot bigger and can crush your CTD like a bug. They have a tough job and have to put up with the driving public (mostly idiots) on a constant basis.

Thank-you Mr. Truck driver for doing what you do with what you have to put up with........I really appreciate it!