Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Can I tow this ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2002, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I tow this ?

I started this on another thread &quot;What Do you Think&quot;. But know I went out and actually weighed the 2 trucks that I want to haul with my new dually.<br><br>Truck #1 is 5580 lbs<br>Truck #2 is 7160 lbs<br><br>The trailer I am guessing at 5000 lbs, don't actually have one yet, will be a 36' goose neck<br><br>So that is 17,740 lbs being towed.<br><br>The Dually is suppose to be about 7570 lbs<br><br>I figure about another 1000 lbs for passangers and equipment<br><br>So that is a GCVW of 26,310 lbs which of course is 3,310 lbs over the GCVW rating of the truck.<br><br>So given all that somewhat good info, what do you guys out their pulling alot of weight think. <br><br>Can it be done comfortably? <br>Safely? <br>And what mods should I do to get it done? <br>Plus how sticky is the law on this?
Old 12-07-2002, 02:38 PM

Re:Can I tow this ?

Sure, your truck will haul that load. The only &quot;problem&quot; is getting caught with that much weight. From my experiences (8 1/2 yrs over the road driver) cops and DOT aren't interested in the &quot;little guy&quot;, just the big guy. If you do haul that load just remember that you nee to take more time to get it stopped and drive safely.<br>Tom
Old 12-07-2002, 02:47 PM

Sure you can pull it,BUT what I found was it just doesn't leave much margin for error when it's time to stop! I was pulling a 44FT Classic Goose with 2-3500# Mopar racecars and the truck was uncatalysed, but otherwise unmodified. Total weight was around 17000. Like I said already I didn't like the braking performance of this rig enough to keep doing that much with it.
Old 12-07-2002, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll need to get a non cdl class A license because you will be over 26k. A 36 ft should way closer to 6400#. Drive smart and you shouldn't have to many problems. I haul loads of up to 20 k on my trailer and do not have any problems other than watching for the other guy so I can stop in time. I also suggest getting a exhaust brake.
Old 12-08-2002, 01:18 AM

Got a Class &quot;A&quot; CDL already so that is covered.<br><br>As far as breaking goes I do plan on putting on the Jake brake. Also it seems that if the trailer is rated for the weight its brakes would be up to the task I would think. Reguardless you have to give yourself room yes. I just want to make sure I am not getting pass by all the Fords heading through New Mexico and Arizona :<br><br>It should look cool though, a Dodge haulin 2 Dodge off-roaders.
Old 12-08-2002, 02:02 AM

I answered your other thread and will add this. You have a class A, that most likely means that you drive or have driven a big truck. Your truck will give you about the same feeling as a big truck and stop about the same. I would order the larger brakes on the trailer and you will be ok. With an exaust brake you will be fine on the long hills.<br><br>Going up the hills you will run with the big trucks, passing the average truck, and now and then being passed by the higher horsepower trucks. There is not too much you can do to match a light load on a 600 horse big truck. I have less truck and pass fords and chev pulling rv's all the time. If you are used to a big truck you will find it safe and comfortable.<br><br>Do get a Jordan controller though, sure does give you peace of mind. There are many times when I had to lock them down seriously and was impressed after the lump went down in my throat. Your only worry will be the plates covering the weight. I have to disagree with the dot not being interested, depends on the area. I get checked all the time. Cops don't seem to care, but the dot is another story. There are too many out there pirateing commercial loads. Better look into it, you don't qualify as an rv and are a private truck.
Old 12-08-2002, 12:52 PM

I am going to do the Jordan controller, he wont have the set up for adjustable pedals out untill the 1st of the year. I also plan on doing something along the lines of an Edge Comp or something to get into the 650-700 ft.lb. area to help things out.<br><br>Electric over Hydrallic is another option on a trailer I am looking at. Have never seen or talked to anyone running this, is it a better all around system? Anyone know?
Old 12-08-2002, 05:39 PM

Hey Hauin in Dixie <br>Back when I was driving there was a problem of de-regulation and everybody thought they were truck drivers. If it moved they would take off for parts unknown. That was when hotshots were just getting going too. I pulled the pin just after my daughter was born and she will be 14 yrs old shortly. YES I DO OWN A SHOTGUN OR TWO. Around here the DOT only picks on the big trucks. I haven't seen them with anything less than a class 8 truck for atleast four years UNLESS it has hazmat placards on. <br>TOM
Old 12-08-2002, 08:13 PM

DOT will pick on who ever they feel like. Been stopped 3 times hauling for myself last time was for two hours while they broke in a new guy. The big city police arem starting to get DOT certified so they can get more $$$. Thats who stopped me last. If they dont like your looks they will stop you regardless of what your driving from a 2500 to a KW they dont care.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:02 PM

MnTom you are where I need to be with the truck I drive I'll tell you how it is here and probably is about to get in other places. I am the Mayor of a small Alabama town. The state is recommending that all officers (our four) go to DOT school to train. This is in all municipalities. Here I won't have it but I will not always be Mayor so the time may come. So you take a US highway and every town that you pass through will have DOT trained officers itching to check out any truck. Incidentally the officers train in Atlanta and I understand that this is a federal policy.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:22 PM

MM<br> I sure hope your clutch can hold the torque. Mine could not soon after I installed a EdgeEZ mine started slipping. Just thought I would let you know what happened to me. That was my first BOMBing for my truck.<br> Good luck and those are some sharp looking trucks.<br>See Ya<br>Chris
Old 12-09-2002, 11:26 PM

I figured that I would go to a Southbend clutch when I do the power upgrade. Too bad they can't put a good clutch in them to start with, savin a buck I guess.
Old 12-10-2002, 05:08 PM

You'll be feelin the load. You might better get a new Ram 5500 when the come out in 2 years. 8)
Old 12-11-2002, 02:22 AM

Just make sure you get the best trailerbrake system you can. In my oppinon having driven semis and pickups with large goosenecks, majority of trailer brakes don't work nearly as well as some big old air brakes on a semi. You can do it it safely if you know what you are doing, have good equipment and keep everything adjusted and properly maqintained.<br><br>Good luck. 8)<br><br>p.s<br><br>I've used electric brakes, air brakes, hydraulic brakes, air over hydraulic, vacuum over hydraulic but never electric over hydraulic. Sorry :-[
Old 12-14-2002, 08:49 AM

Well I got the tuck part of it taken care of now, next step it to go trailer shopin 8)<br><br>

Quick Reply: Can I tow this ?