Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Bolt on vs welding? '04 Ram

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bolt on vs welding? '04 Ram

I would like to have your thoughts on welding the brackets on the frame for a 5th wheel hitch verses bolting them on. Truck in question is '04 3500 Ram SRW.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:00 AM

I would do exactly as the manufacturer (of the hitch) recommends. Anything else, and you assume liability for problems.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:45 AM

These bolt on hitches are pretty reliable now and I wouldn't want to weld to these thin high tensile frames on these trucks now. I have a bolt on I put on myself, it works good and I pull pretty heavy.Put a fold down or pullout type ball and you'll be happier.
Old 12-29-2003, 06:55 AM

Welding on any frame rail is a total NONO!
BIG MIKE
Old 12-29-2003, 07:07 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
BIG MIKE, sorry but I have to disagree. According to TSB 13-001-03 welding is permissable in some areas of the frame. This is for the '03's so it will have to be checked to see if it also applies to the '04's.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Permissible, yes. Recommended, no.

DC may not prohibit drilling or welding the new frames, but they stongly discourage it. I would use a bolt-on application if available.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I grew up in the old school, a welding rod never touches the frame rail. I know its done, can't argue that, but not by me. I have seen a bunch break from welding and especially burned holes.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:26 PM

I recently installed a B&W hitch in my wife's 04 truck. It was a complete bolt in. I like the B&W system and have been using there product for about 4 years now.
See Ya
Chris
Old 12-30-2003, 06:31 AM

Pullrite makes a complete line of hitches for the 03/04 Dodges that are completely bolt on. No drilling and no welding required. In my opinion they make an excellent product, well engineered and back it up with good customer service. Their hitches cost a bit more than the competitors but then so did your Cummins. You get what you pay for. They have a website at www.pullrite.com

Casey
Old 12-30-2003, 07:49 AM

Thanks to everyone for the input. Looks like it will be bolt on.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:22 PM

Howdy, I guess I'm a bandit, I installed my Unigoose hitch. It bolts between the two frame rails not through which is not possible. The new tube frame clamps around it the frame. These are engineered to bare againts critical points to keep things from shifting. I was not satisfied so I also spot welded to eliminate any possible shifting then primed and painted the raw metals. Our frames and these hitches are so new I was more comfortable with a possitive conection as apossed to just engineered clamps. I also would go with manufacture recomendation, you can always contact them for info.
That my angle, Nimrod
Old 01-02-2004, 03:38 PM

B & W here and like the flatbed when needed also able to have 5vr hitch with it. Oh, it is a bolt on.
Old 01-02-2004, 03:57 PM

The problem I see with welding is ,unless you are a certified welder, anything you do you bear the reponsibility for. If you follow the mfg recomendation you are usually better off. Most of these products are engineered for 1 1/2 - 2 times or more of their recomended usage. Just another point of view.
Old 01-03-2004, 10:21 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I really like my B&W. The goose neck ball turns over when not in use, and the "Companion" 5th wheel hitch mounts to the same receptacle.

It bolts/clamps on, and uses two pins which fit into existing holes on the frame to positively locate it. Expensive, but it leaves a flat bed when the hitch is not used.

I used a torque wrench, and high strength locktite, and I don't see a reason to strike an arc. I would imagine that tightening the bolts in the correct order would be critical to keep things solid, though.

If I recall correctly, you can download the directions on the internet, if you want to look at the design.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:39 PM

Thumbs up

"Welding on any frame rail is a total NONO!
BIG MIKE"

I will also disagree , BIG MIKE.

D-C does allow welding on the 03 frame as an approved method of installing 5er hitch. Welding must be done by a certified welder. My hitch was installed this way before any of the hitch manufacturers had developed their clamp on or bolt on designs. D-C provided the guidelines for the welder.

Look at the way your frame is put together, if welding weakens the frame, then why did they put it together with welds instead of bolts or rivits.

Back yard weld jobs are a no no for sure.

Quick Reply: Bolt on vs welding? '04 Ram