Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Bolt on vs welding? '04 Ram

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 03:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a certified welder myself, I would not weld ANY hitch set-up to the frame of my truck. Why? Because the frame is only 1/8"- 3/16" thick. If you make several longitudinal welds (welds going lengthwise w/ the frame) to hold the hitch it would pass the safety tests. But, the hitch is one of those areas where there is constant strain, jerking, and yanking from the load. Over time all that strain will actually peel the welds off of your 3/16" frame leaving you stranded somewhere. The welds will hold just fine, but the thin steel frame won't be able to distribute that load the way it's designed. I've seen it happen on lots of manufactured parts such as snow plows, dump trucks, fishing boats, etc. The weld is strong, but the base metal is not.

Now, if you had a 1/4" or thicker frame, welding the hitch wouldn't be a problem at all!
Old 01-05-2004, 05:25 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
It would be nice if someday a 5th wheel/goose neck hitch setup was an option you could order on the truck from DC.

The hitch structure could be integrated into the frame design from the factory...
Old 01-05-2004, 05:34 AM

Originally posted by Jeff in TD
It would be nice if someday a 5th wheel/goose neck hitch setup was an option you could order on the truck from DC.

The hitch structure could be integrated into the frame design from the factory...
Jeff, that is exactly what I told Dodge a year and a half ago. Fell on deaf ears though. I also suggested that they build mounting flanges into the frame for fiver hitches. Similar to the cab mounts. Maybe we should take up a donation for hearing aids for DC execs.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I would guess that nearly as many people use their heavy duty diesels to pull 5th wheels and goose necks as bumper pulls.

I don't understand why you can order the super-strong looking class 5 receiver, with a plug, but no provision for 5th wheel or goose neck. (The frame was obviously designed with the receiver in mind).

If ever one of the big three does let you order a truck ready to back under a trailer, I think they will take a big market share away from the other two!

-Translation for DC execs=Increased value of stock options!

For me it would just mean less hassle, the hitch structure could be one piece (installed on the line before the bed is on), and it would end the "weld on, clamp on" debate...
Old 01-18-2004, 08:42 PM

I don't weld beacuse I'm always afraid of voltage leaking through the frame to the electronics. I'm probably over cautious. Agree with the posters re the bolt on B/W hitches. I've never had a problem.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:12 AM

im certified welder and those frames are tempered. so i would avoid welding if at all possible as this changes the molecular structure of steel frame
Old 02-02-2004, 04:07 PM

Most manufacturers have come out with the new hydro-formed frames. They have specific areas designed into the system as a "crumple" zone. Thus, they have specific requirements for their repair.

ALL repairs involve WELDING a new section into the damaged area. The GMAW or wire feed welders that we use in our I-Car classes are what the manufacturers require for the repair. I would not use regular arc welding on these frames.

Dodge recommends using wire designated as ER70s-3 on their frames for the welding process. Most of us still use the ER70S-6 for the repairs, the only difference being the cleaning ability of the wire.

So the ultimate question was, should I weld on my frame? The answer is: On the new Hydro-formed frames...NO. The old frames 02 and older, you are not going to hurt that frame at all.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:39 AM

I agree, i think the 02's were the last of the frames you could weld. The newer frames are completely different and I think I would use alternate options if available.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:57 PM

And besides, to get a good bead on something you almost have to tear everything apart just to reach it! Bolts are long and skinny and only need a nut and washer on the ends.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:37 PM

i had a 2003, the hitch was welded in, had no trouble i pull a 31 ft 5th wheel mobile scout
Old 02-09-2004, 04:24 PM

Well I guess I am the renegade. I have 2 - 01's welded in and a friend with an 03 welded in. Mileage is 80k, 48k, and 40k. Lots of heavy towing and no probs so far.