Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Black tank question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What the Domie said
I had an old timer tell me about the ice cubes in Idaho Falls for cleaning up a black water tank and I have used it many times since to clean the sensors.
Jim O
Old 07-06-2005, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by bluebull
Fill it only half full of water and then dump in the ice, the more the merrier. Filling half full of water gives it room to sloash around and break things up. I've used the ice trick on previous campers and it works good.
Then fill the rest of the tank with water before dumping?

Thanks again for the info.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:41 PM

OK back to the Flush king.

Or Sewer Solution

What works better. The flush king is around 40 and the sewer solution is around 80 at camping world. It looks like the flush king drains the tank then you turn on the water, shut off the drain on the unit until it fills the tank again and then you dump. Is that correct? On the Sewer solution you have the hose plugged in and the extra water pressure causes a vacuum pressure to suck the tank dry. What's better:confused
Old 07-06-2005, 05:43 PM

On airliner tanks my brother uses vinegar for acid and ice for abrasive. Works like a charm.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:57 PM
Banned

Originally posted by 2500Ram
Then fill the rest of the tank with water before dumping?

Thanks again for the info.
Correct.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by 2500Ram
OK back to the Flush king.

Or Sewer Solution

What works better. The flush king is around 40 and the sewer solution is around 80 at camping world. It looks like the flush king drains the tank then you turn on the water, shut off the drain on the unit until it fills the tank again and then you dump. Is that correct? On the Sewer solution you have the hose plugged in and the extra water pressure causes a vacuum pressure to suck the tank dry. What's better:confused
I have used both, and they both work well. The thing I don’t like about the flush king is it does not produce enough pressure to stir things up. Just backfills the tank. The Sewer Solution has a high pressure jet, and when backfilling the tank it really stirs everything up really well. Also after I close the valves the SS really rinses the pipe well with its high pressure jet. Also if you need to dump up hill or long distances the SS is the only way to go, unless you spend even more on an actual pump. I believe it will pump 60feet at 6* incline or something like that.

Down side to the SS is it does not work as well to flush your grey water (depends on how your hook ups are it works great in some configurations) the flush king will fill up both tanks with no problem.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by cheff
The Sewer Solution has a high pressure jet, and when backfilling the tank it really stirs everything up really well. Also after I close the valves the SS really rinses the pipe well with its high pressure jet.
Good info but what's the difference, low pressure on the flush king vs. high pressure on the Sewer solution, I know the SS causes a suction from the tank (good thing). I'm not really seeing the difference from the bottom side. When water is put back into the tank, up hill, it would have to fill the drain tube first then high or low water pressure will push water though the FULL drain tube into the tank slowly filling the tank to dump again. Does that make sense? I can see if you get a clean shot up the dump tube into the tank the one wall would be cleaner but I can't see how it "flushes" the tank.

Bill.

I called Camping World and just an FYI they told me not to waist my money on either of the 2 systems. Just take the garden hose and flush things out. Now take that with a salesman wanting to go home if you will... But there are not many dump locations (around here) with a water hookup so neither of these devices will work. Yes while camping at plush campgrounds (yup that's where we go) they will but I'm not sure on the money end. $80 for a SS or $15 for a 30ft hose with high spray tip.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:03 PM

The jet shoots the water in to the tank with the SS instead of slowly filling it up with the Flush king. When the water level is high enough the SS jet is still pumping up to the tank at high pressure stirring everything up really well, and breaking down all the solids. Then you flip the jet and pull all that stuff out. The FK just fills it up, and then you open the valve and let it all out again.

You could use a hose, if you like to take the hose under the RV then in to it through it and to the toilet. That also works, but I don’t think it is as effective as the SS, and the fact that with the FK you don’t have to take the hose in to the RV makes it that much better.

The flush king is only $30 and a good way to keep your tank clean and your RV odor free. Or you can get the SS and really clean out your tanks. But it is a little pricey, just the cleanliness and ease of use of either systems sold me on both.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:32 PM

Well it really turned out to be a non issue. Our daughter thought as did we that the flushable wipes were ok for RV use (they said on the box that they were good for RV use), NOPE. There were about 24 "tissues" no paper at all that we got out and the tank was clean. It was empty the entire time but the sensors were all covered. Ice in tank for the 2 hr drive up, fill the tank the rest of the way, dump, a few wipes. Fill tank again with high water pressure and dump again and the motherload of about 18 wipes. Tanks are clean, sensors are working, everything is smelling like roses again.

Thanks again for all the great advice.

Bill.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:52 PM
abb

2500RAM we have been rving for a few years and have found for us the best way is to put your paper in a trash can we have one of the wire types and use the walmart bags to line them. And before we leave to go home we try to put a bag of crushed ice in the tankand that kind of scrubs it clean, if you are set on useing paper get the approved kind the quickly desolves?
Old 07-11-2005, 12:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Somebody over on the TDR once did a tissue dissolving test between rv tissue and regular toilet tissue in different cups of water. They couldn't tell any difference between the 2.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:05 PM

All good suggestions and here is one more. Don't put what my wife calls "piddle paper" down the toilet. Put it in a plastic garbage bag in a small trash can in the bathroom. Empty the trash regularily. I have a wife, 3 daughters and 4 grand daughters. They are all "educated" in the disposal of "piddle paper". Good luck