Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Best Trailer Brake Controller ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff in TD
When you look into how brake controllers work, the "timer" based units get their only input from the brake switch, and the operator sets how many amps max the controller will send to the trailer and how quickly it will ramp up to that level. The problem is they provide the same braking whether you are doing a panic stop at freeway speeds, or easing up to a line of cars at a light at a walking pace. They can also continue ramping up the trailer braking, even though you are easing off the pedal, until you ease off enough to shut the brake lights off, when the trailer will jolt forward when it kills the brakes like you shut off a switch. The only positive thing I think you could say about this type is that they are cheap and simple, and meet the legal requirement of having brakes.

Up from there are the controllers that measure deceleration either with an electronic sensor or a pendilum, and apply trailer braking in proportion to the deceleration. Some apply an initial braking current to the trailer when the brake lights come on, so as not to rely only on the truck's brakes to provide the initial decelartion for the controller to sense. Sometimes controllers of this type seem to react to a bump with a surge of juice to the trailer brakes, jolting things around. They sometimes also seem to reduce trailer braking to very little if the operator is dragging brakes down a hill (since there isn't a deceleration to sense). The Technocia Prodegy seems to be the most highly regarded in this class, and friends who have bought one on my recommendation have been happy.

A third type measures the application of the tow vehicle brakes directly, and applies trailer brakes in proportion. The Jordan Ultima uses a linkage to measure pedal movement. They are reported to be very smooth.

Brakesmart (and now apparently maxbrake) measures brake fluid pressure with a sensor that T's into the master cylinder. I suspect fluid pressure is more liner and directly proportional to braking force than pedal movement, plus it seems more elegant. Older controllers measured fluid pressure, but were not compatable with anti-lock systems or proportion/balancing valves of modern vehicles. The brakesmart's solid state sensor doesn't displace fluid, so it doesn't have any of those problems.

Anyway, I feel the Brakesmart is the best performing controller on the market, if cost isn't an issue. Maxbrake is a little cheaper and seems to work on the same principal, but without some of the extra features.

If cost is a factor, I always recommend the Technocia Prodegy.
Would you know whether or not, if any of these systems interfere with Dodge/Chrysler warranties? My vehicle came with a factory tow prep but did not include a brake controller.

Thanks for your input.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:37 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I think the Dodge manual says somewhere the brake system doesn't work with controllers that tie into the hyd system, but the Brakesmart (and now apparently Maxbrake) is different than every other system like that in that it doesn't displace fluid and works fine with modern anti-lock systems.

The only way I could see them denying warranty work would be if you got contamination or air in the line when you installed the brakesmart sensor, or if you cross threaded a fitting, and then expected Dodge to fix it under warranty.

In reality, putting the sensor in only takes a few minutes and if you take ordinary care you won't mess anything up. I've installed in two trucks with no problems, and the dealer has never said anything about it.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:43 AM

Thank you. I don't know exactly what I'll be towing just yet. (I bought my horse before the carriage) but would like to get a travel trailer sometime in the near future.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by surfram
Prodigy has worked great for me.

Same here does a good job.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to me it depends on how much you plan on towing. if you seldomly tow then the prodigy will work for you. if you plan on towing full time then spend the extra money on the brakesmart. i would not consider going back to one of those archaic time based controllers. the constant jerking and the need to set the trailer brakes based on the driving conditions was a huge pain to deal with.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:28 PM

finally found a Jordan brake controller.

paypal sent... thanks Marine!!!

Originally Posted by Marine
I like the Jordan and think it is the best one out there. However, I hooked up to a trailer that had the battery hooked backwards and it fried the controller. Good news is that Jordan fixed it no charge. In the mean time I had to put another controller in and I think it is the Prodigy.
I have the Jordan, brand new, in a box here at home.
I did a search for Jordan and I can't find their link; they might have gone out of business.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:27 PM

Love my Prodigy. Like the way it eases up on the brakes just before stopping so that the jerk is pretty much eliminated.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:03 PM

A few years back I had a Tekonsha (don't remember the model) go bad. I sent it back and in the meantime I picked up a cheapo Reese-branded Pod. I guess it's made by Tekonsha. After no-too-long, Tekonsha sent me a brand new unit. It was a MUCH nicer model, handling 4 axles as opposed to the 2-axle unit I sent in. So, I've been using this little Pod for a couple of years and not had any problems. I don't pull THAT heavy, and not very often at that. Anyway, last weekend I'd gotten hold of another controller connector for the truck (aftermarket with heavier gauge wires) so I decided to solder up the new controller that'd been on the shelf for a couple of years. I figured, who knows, maybe I'll need to pull something big some day. So, I get it all together, soldered and beautifully heat-shrinked, mount it up, and as soon as I plug it in, the light turns green. No trailer is attached. Great. That controller is dinked up.

So, after that LONG, boring story, I've had two bad Tekonsha's, but it sounds like they make nearly everything except a Brakesmart so I don't know what else I'd get. I just can't justify a Brakesmart.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:41 PM

I've had a tekonsha go bad after a few years too. of course it was out of warranty period... call tekonsha... they basically said tuff... a few years was good service... about fell out of my chair hearing that..

Originally Posted by tslewisz
So, after that LONG, boring story, I've had two bad Tekonsha's, but it sounds like they make nearly everything except a Brakesmart so I don't know what else I'd get. I just can't justify a Brakesmart.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:34 AM

So, what are you using now?
Old 03-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Five years and three trucks later on my Brakesmart. I tow often...4-5K miles a month. Works perfect, no problems. Smooth breaking with ANY trailer I have pulled and can provide warnings for issues...all of what I have found to be from the trailers I have hauled. I have logged well over 500,000 miles on this unit.
Lots of adjustment and features on it too.
I also have one of the first prototypes of the boost and egt feature as well. I can set egt limit alarm, adjust the power down times etc etc.
For a high end unit...with lots of use...its great.

Scotty
Old 03-22-2008, 03:29 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Off topic a bit, but that is one sweet long bed mega you got there, Scotty...
Old 03-22-2008, 08:34 PM

+1, and HARD!
Old 03-23-2008, 08:43 AM

I use the Tekonsha P3 and it works great for me. It's not a problem warranty wise I don't think. My truck has been in for minor warranty service a couple of times and they never said anything about the controller.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:42 PM

I had to wait to get my brakesmart and gld I did works better than my old prodigy. It has a better feel for what is happening with the 5 er. I pull doubles and it handles the job plus.

Quick Reply: Best Trailer Brake Controller ??