Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Best Time To Buy

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 10:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Best Time To Buy

Yeah, I have another question. Is there a best time to buy a travel trailer, for the best prices? I was thinking that the &quot;end&quot; of the camping season, like October or later, would be a good time because those people who want to get rid of their trailer (and maybe want some Christmas money?) will do it after the season. Or am I totally backwards here?<br>Is there a consensus on this sort of thing?<br><br>Thanks,<br>Chris
Old 07-15-2003, 12:29 AM
Muted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Best Time To Buy

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think the reverse is actually true. Reason being, &quot;snowbirds&quot; (retired or semi-retired folk that travel south for the winter seeking warmer weather) so demand is higher.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:54 AM

Early spring is the best time to buy. The same goes for a boat or ATV around hear.<br><br>DB
Old 07-15-2003, 07:09 AM

Chris,<br><br>While I think there could be many variables to this, like the state you are buying in, et. I will tell you what I think is the best case senario for buying a TT.<br><br>First of all buying off the lot instead of ordering will always get you the better price. Finding a TT that has been on the lot through the season, that is optioned out the way you want it to be, with colors you can live with and then finding out when the next years models will be arriving will help you know when to buy. <br><br>In FL I found my unit in late May. The 2003's were due to start arriving in July and they were not ordering anymore 2002's. I bought it for 22% less than the MSRP.<br><br>I think it has more to do with when the next years models are due to arrive than the end of season and whether you are willing to buy off the lot instead of a special order.<br><br>An excellent little book to read before you buy an RV is &quot;How To Outsmart Any Car Or RV Salesman&quot; by JD Gallant. It can be found in many libaries. Using the information in that book will frustrate the sales people but it will help to get you the best deal.<br><br>
Old 07-15-2003, 07:43 AM

Chris,<br> Take LadyRam's advice and read the book she indicated. Also, the RV dealer I do business with has their best price reductions in January/February timeframe. Do a good bit of shoppimg around and looking at the trailers to compare features, because these will determine most how much you enjoy using it when you go RV'ing. My wife and I go to at least one RV show per year just to keep up with what new features are being added so that we can make a list of what we want the next time we trade. LadyRam is right about buying off the lot - you'll get the best price, but sometimes you have to special order to get a feature you really want such as a 10 gal. water heater instead of 6 gal. Most of the time a 6 gal. will be more than enough, but if you have another couple staying with you the shower can run out of hot water before everyone is done. Again, compare features and make a list of what you need, then what you want, prioritize that, then go buy. HTH.
Old 07-15-2003, 08:13 PM

I doubt I will buy new. My local dealer here has said he is trying to get rid of his 2003's because the new ones are coming in. I have no idea how long that's been going on for though, and when he offered me his supposed &quot;real&quot; deal on a new 2002 he still has sitting on the lot, it was only about 2K off of it. I'm dumb, but not stupid. &gt; For that trailer, asking 19 MSRP, he should be around 14K by this time. I wouldn't touch it for more than 12.<br>I am planning to buy used if I can find something I like, for the right price. I don't want to get into any big debt over this as I don't know if I will like it since I have never done it before. I am thinking about renting one soon to see how it goes.<br><br>Chris
Old 07-15-2003, 11:04 PM

I'd go for a used mid 80's or early 90's model. You are in the same spot I was a few years ago. I'm still not convinsed about the whole camping thing yet though. I've only used mine twice this year and that's not near enough to judge spending 18k on a new TT. :<br><br>Look for something that was takin care of, (you'll know it when you see it) you will surely have to do some repairs but I do think it's pretty cool to pull into the camp grounds with my old 82 Fleetwood cause it's now like a classic car. Sure the other are nice and have all the gaggets but mines 20 years old and still in great shape. 8) Just something really cool about that to me. ;D<br><br>DB
Old 07-15-2003, 11:51 PM

I ended up buying a 1995 30 footer. It was so clean you wouldn't believe it! I got it for $11,000.00...about 1/2 as much as new. I'd stay away from brand new unless you're going to use it an awful lot.Click here to check out my rig!
Old 07-16-2003, 07:21 AM

Wow Buzz, that sucker's huge! But the price.... ;D<br>I figure on going used as you guys have suggested, but if I really feel the need to go new, I just found a site where I can actually get a reasonable price, I think. Comparing this site to a new one I saw over the weekend at my local dealer, this site is about 9K cheaper. It'll be worth the drive to Ohio for that kind of discount! ;D<br><br>http://www.rvwholesalers.com<br><br>Chris
Old 07-16-2003, 02:51 PM

You could probably pickup an '03 around this time for a great price since the '04s are going to be hitting the lot's soon...<br><br><br>Tony
Old 07-16-2003, 08:36 PM

We purchased our 5er when the new 5er models were showing up on the dealers lot and they needed the room for them. We purchased the last years model and saved about 13,000 on the deal. It was also the demo model that went to two or three RV shows. All in all, we got a great deal and we are very happy. Best of luck in your search...<br>Big dawg