Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Any problems with sway while towing???

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any problems with sway while towing???

I will try to keep this short. I am thinking of buying a leftover 2008 single rear wheel 2WD quad cab with the 6.7 and upgraded tranny. (at least thats what the salesliar told me) I have a toyhauler which is 34ft. in total length and am wondering how it will do in dealing with sway. I have a 3/4 ton chevy with an extended cab and it hates pullin my trailer. I have a blue ox hitch and stabilizer set up so I know it is not that. I am going to buy another diesel and the deal on this brand new dodge is unreal. But would like some input on whether it will be better as far as swaying goes. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:27 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The SRW will pull the unit OK, a dually would handle that big of a trailer even better.. Airbags and sway bars if not installed would be a good option on the SRW as well..
Old 04-30-2009, 10:16 PM

I use to not be able to keep up with my friends Dmax dually in the mountains while towing. I added the rear sway bar and can hold the center of my lane better than he can. It is just much safer.

I tow a 37' 5er about 13K.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:20 PM

I second the rear sway bar. Big diffierence in handling while towing.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by jcollis
I have a blue ox hitch and stabilizer set up so I know it is not that.
Don't be so sure it's not the hitch. Blue Ox is not the best sway damping hitch out there.

I'm not clear on which hitch you have. Is it the SwayPro or the standard weight distributing hitch and a friction sway bar?

IMO the Dodge 3500 will be better than the Chevy 2500 but you still might need to do something to your hitch to make it tow great.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For ABSOLUTE sway control, you need the 3P hitch, but she is pricey at $2400.00. The dodge will be better than the chev for sway, but you'll need good, load range E tires at max psi, maybe airbags and a sway bar.

Just my unsolicited 2 cents...
Old 05-01-2009, 01:50 PM

thanks guys..

I appreciate all of you guys responding to my questions. I think I am going to get the truck. the deal is way too good to pass up. I know a dually would pull it better but I have had 3 of them and honestly dont want another right now. I have been pulling various types of trailers for a long time so I know to be sensible and i dont drive like a wild man with that much weight behind me. The blue ox I have is not the standard one it is really beefy and was quite expensive and am pretty sure its a good one. I will defninitely invest a rear sway and air bags no doubt. Thanks again
Old 05-01-2009, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by jcollis
I will try to keep this short. I am thinking of buying a leftover 2008 single rear wheel 2WD quad cab with the 6.7 and upgraded tranny. (at least thats what the salesliar told me) I have a toyhauler which is 34ft. in total length and am wondering how it will do in dealing with sway. I have a 3/4 ton chevy with an extended cab and it hates pullin my trailer. I have a blue ox hitch and stabilizer set up so I know it is not that. I am going to buy another diesel and the deal on this brand new dodge is unreal. But would like some input on whether it will be better as far as swaying goes. Thanks in advance.
A bit off the subject, but how much are you paying for the truck?

Last edited by madhat; 05-02-2009 at 01:04 AM. Reason: bb code
Old 05-02-2009, 01:01 AM

i have a 32' tt 35' over all and i have pulled with 04 dually 5.9 an now an 07 3500 mega. the dually no sway single wheel mega not the same story. put wider tires plus airbags has helped. going to replace tires on tt with load range d in near future hope this helps.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could step up to 19.5" wheels and tires.

http://www.ricksontruck.com/wheels_dodge_srw.html

http://www.ricksontruck.com/customers_dodge_srw.html

I always had in my mind that if I ever ended up towing a lot and didn't go to a dually that I'd go to 19.5's.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:05 PM

price

Originally Posted by stock03
A bit off the subject, but how much are you paying for the truck?
$27,000 leftover 08, everything in it except leather.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I haven't seen anything mentioned yet about the trailer itslef. You can't ignore that when dealing with sway. You need at least 10% of the trailer weight to be on the coupler. Without that, your simply masking the issues by addig gizmo's and parts and brackets.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:40 AM

SWAY BARS!! The Dodge does not come stock with a rear sway-bar. Hellwig offers a pretty good bar. My Dodge used to roam a bit in the lane and never gave you a break when driving. I tried different hitch settings and spring-bar positions; I even installed two sway controllers on the tongue and tightened them down as tight as I could. I had already installed air bags on the rear-axle, but the sway bars installed on the rear of the truck will solve this problem.........period!
Old 05-05-2009, 12:43 PM

Another thought to the sway problem is an Equalizer hitch set up. I had one when I pulled the TT and the sway problem disappeared. It may be expensive, but you will find it is the easiest hitch to hook up and makes traveling great. Took a trip out west and covered 3700 miles round trip with the Equalizer hitch and said I would not go back to the sway bars and chain hook up again. Just my thoughts.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:37 PM

I guess you have a bumper pull trailer, 34'. I am guessing it is at least 12k empty, or so. The trucks usually come with class 4 receiver. With that much weight, you will need to upgrade to class 5. An equailzing hitch also seems to be highly recommended.
The Gen2's came with a rear sway bar as part of the tow package. It is a shame they they discontinued that practice. Said you did not need it. Sure!
Get the rear sway bar!!!
The price sound good, but I bet you could get a 3500 for the same money if you shopped the internet. That much trailer is a lot for a 2500, at least weight rating wise. The duallies are a little more diificult to live with, but for pulling a big trailer, it gets no better, for stability.

Quick Reply: Any problems with sway while towing???