Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Any Owner/Operaters, RV Transporters out there?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Owner/Operaters, RV Transporters out there?

I was just curious how many of you guys out there make a buck with your truck. I work six months of the year on a towing vessel and I have a lot of time to travel and go place I haven't seen. Anywhere that strikes my fancy, I'll pull a trailer, just to see some new sights. I moved a lot of FEMA trailers down south last month to help out with the cause. I see alot of transporters out there, and I wondered where, if at all, they come together and share with each other the different aspects of their trade. The Pro's and Con's of Transporting, Hot Shotting... whatever. Are there any Websites geared for this sort of thing, or maybe one needs to be. There are a lot of people doing this and it would be great to get together and share things for the common good of all. Any Transporters out there?
Old 10-21-2005, 01:28 PM

Check out www.hotshothauling.com.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:56 PM

i transprt also have been doin alot of fema traliers but just went to denver to break it up a bit
Old 10-23-2005, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run my own hot shot company here in Texas. I've read and heard things about the rv transporting and i dont see how youguys make money at it. not to **** any one off but my rig dont move for less then a dollar a mile
Old 10-24-2005, 04:39 PM

hmm mine doesnt move for less than that either but transporting rvs sisnt so bad its just about being business minded ive had weeks where i have only made 500 but ive had just as many where ive made 1500 in just a couple days so just depends right i wouldnt consider it a great paying job bt you can do ok if you keep spending in check
Old 10-24-2005, 04:58 PM

If you figure 4000 miles a week @ .50 per mile, that is 100,000 loaded miles per year and deadheading half the time, I come up with about $30,000 profit per year, that is accounting for 15 cents per mile vehicle maintenance/vehicle replacement and 15 MPG @ 3/gallon.

4000 a week is running pretty hard.

And that's not including any other expenses like truck payment, insurance... cell phone... food... loding... etc.

What do you figure for vehicle maintenance / vehicle replacement?
Old 10-25-2005, 01:55 PM

I dont deadhead half the time. just gotta work for the backhauls I drove 2200 miles last week all loaded dropped off in denver and picked up one there headed right back to where i came friom profit was 1448.00 after fuel and meals left on tues was back on friday night didnt run hard the only quirk I had was a little truck problem its tuesday and i think i might take a trip out west leaving wed or maybe go south pickup a horse trailer for backhoule evryones experience is a little diffrent i guess as far as vehicle maint stop at the flyin j the oil change is 19.99 last time i checked so thats nuthin to worry about vehicle replacement ..this truck has 60 thousand on it we have 2 at the transport company I drive for with over a million on them so not really worried about it when I want a new one ill go get it its not a problem if i want to keep this 10 years I will not somthing I really dwell on you have to remember this is what these trucks are built for drving it only to work and back and to the store well, its a waste to own one for just that kinda stuff and really shortens the life of one it is very common for them to last 800 thousand miles and a million is not unheard of like I said we have 2 where I work with over that and goin strong

also to really make money you can put a lowboy on houl 3 smaller campers and get up 2.40 a mile fr campers youll never have much deadhead with that the company i work for has cars to move all over the country for them so its not as bad as some of these guys make it sound by any means otherwise no one would be doin it it does vary alot though from company to company
Old 10-25-2005, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by bluepuller
I dont deadhead half the time. just gotta work for the backhauls I drove 2200 miles last week all loaded dropped off in denver and picked up one there headed right back to where i came friom profit was 1448.00 after fuel and meals left on tues was back on friday night didnt run hard the only quirk I had was a little truck problem its tuesday and i think i might take a trip out west leaving wed or maybe go south pickup a horse trailer for backhoule evryones experience is a little diffrent i guess as far as vehicle maint stop at the flyin j the oil change is 19.99 last time i checked so thats nuthin to worry about vehicle replacement ..this truck has 60 thousand on it we have 2 at the transport company I drive for with over a million on them so not really worried about it when I want a new one ill go get it its not a problem if i want to keep this 10 years I will not somthing I really dwell on you have to remember this is what these trucks are built for drving it only to work and back and to the store well, its a waste to own one for just that kinda stuff and really shortens the life of one it is very common for them to last 800 thousand miles and a million is not unheard of like I said we have 2 where I work with over that and goin strong

also to really make money you can put a lowboy on houl 3 smaller campers and get up 2.40 a mile fr campers youll never have much deadhead with that the company i work for has cars to move all over the country for them so its not as bad as some of these guys make it sound by any means otherwise no one would be doin it it does vary alot though from company to company

I think that is the longest sentence I have ever read.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:31 PM

hmm could be somebody left out the period.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:02 PM

I have been thinking of doing this for awhile. I drove otr for a year for a large company, and found they were more interested in proffit than the drivers safety. They were allways tring to get me to mess with my log book. but I refused and it got me all the crap loads. Its not that I could not drive 12 hours but get caught and you know what happens then.
So back to the point. What dose it take to either get a job doing this or start my own? I have allways loved to drive and see the country. And being able to do so in my own rig would be out of this world.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:21 PM

How do you guys get jobs setup?
Old 10-26-2005, 10:27 PM

See your commercial truck insurance broker 1st. Kepp in mind its gonna cost you some decent $$ just to become a bonded carrier, 1 million liability insurance, and 500k plus cargo insurance. You will have many of the same costs that a big truck o/o has. Its also best to have your tags atleast 26,000 lbs, and if higher, better get a CDL. From there you can sometimes o/o with the same companies that haul with big trucks.

A buddy is doing it, and his costs were close to 9,000(already owned truck and trailer) i believe to get started. he is pulling a 5 er, and is dispatched out of a local terminal hauling misc freight. Its also helps if you can run under another carriers PUC numbers.

Its deff not as easy as hooking and going...
Old 10-27-2005, 07:40 PM

I'm more so curious than seriously considering doing it, I work 50-60hrs a week as is.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:39 PM

Check out http://xj.cdevco.net/forhire.htm
Old 10-29-2005, 05:05 PM

http://www.hoosier-rv-transport.com/

this is the one i drive for lots of work theypay insurance and plates but you have to pay for your bobtail ins but its usually uner 100 bucks pay is decent and plenty of backhouls if your willin to look for em
i am leaving for portland tues and will be back houling all they way form portland to baton rouge and plenty of trips like that right now

Quick Reply: Any Owner/Operaters, RV Transporters out there?