Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Any one using uship?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any one using uship?

I found an interesting site uship.com
Primarily used for those who need a shipper, and those who ship.

The site is driven by an auction to haul loads ie the shipper will place a bid to transport an item/s , shipper will then advise if too high etc, also has a question and answer section for dialogue between the two parties.

I would like to get into the hot shot business as I love driving my truck, and getting tired of the construction business.

So, any one using uship?
Old 02-20-2007, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Uship sucks. I tried for months to get loads. All that's on there is cheap freight because the average Joe doesn't know how much it costs to really ship things...example, people expecting to pay $300 to ship a vehicle 2500 miles. I got a few jobs, but you're expected to be legal...full DOT authority. Commercial insurance, whole nine yards. DOT authority costs around $500 to obtain and you have to show proof of insurance, usually commercial insurance runs $600 a month or more. The only thing Uship is good for is a backhaul. You will also wait a long, long time to get a job if you have to bid for it, and it takes forever to get feedback...no feedback, hard to get work. I tried posting feedback from another non competing site for work I did and they took it off. It's worthless for a hauler. Good luck trying though...
Old 02-20-2007, 08:29 PM

I use uShip. I shipped my Kelderman Air Ride for my 99 to another member on DTR using it. It's a pretty sweet system. It needs more people that are drivers on there though. It took a while to get responses and there weren't enough people in the north east. I really like it though.

Must be like diesel_deuce posted about it not being all that good for haulers. I left feedback because I was very happy with my transaction.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by diesel_deuce
Uship sucks. I tried for months to get loads. All that's on there is cheap freight because the average Joe doesn't know how much it costs to really ship things...example, people expecting to pay $300 to ship a vehicle 2500 miles. I got a few jobs, but you're expected to be legal...full DOT authority. Commercial insurance, whole nine yards. DOT authority costs around $500 to obtain and you have to show proof of insurance, usually commercial insurance runs $600 a month or more. The only thing Uship is good for is a backhaul. You will also wait a long, long time to get a job if you have to bid for it, and it takes forever to get feedback...no feedback, hard to get work. I tried posting feedback from another non competing site for work I did and they took it off. It's worthless for a hauler. Good luck trying though...
You are absolutley correct sir. USHIP is full of a bunch of people who post and never respond back. I tried them and did get a few jobs but not worth the effort. There are better sites then USHIP, and its owned by ebay BTW.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:57 PM

Well I would say everyone on uShip is bad. I just recently found it and started using it and I like to think I'm a good person. I did see that people were crazy with some of their asking prices. When I listed my Kelderman Kit I requested bids. I didn't set a price. I also got my truck shipped to me from Texas using uShip and again I didn't set a price, I asked for bids and got 1 offer. It was for $750 and I took it.

Because I buy and sell a lot of bigger stuff, what are some of these other sites because when I found it I thought it was the greatest thing every but there is not much activity on it.

Through uShip though I did hook up with England Logistics which is a national trucking company and the guy told me I could call or e-mail him directly anytime I wanted a quote on anything because they travel all over.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:54 AM

A 2500 is not suited for hotshot . By the time you add the weight of your trailer there is little left of your GCVWR for a load . UShip is definately not for regular running . Successful hotshotters use laptops and brokers and usually have the next load set up before they drop the one they have . Register at hotshothauling.com . You'll get all the info you need there .
Old 02-22-2007, 07:08 PM

Thanks RickG,
for the use full advice - I will be looking in to that.

And evry one else that has commented.

Diesel Deuce thanks for your input, I have read how much you have put into trying to make this kind of thing work. - 'Hope all is well.

Those of us that can - should try and set up accomodations for our fellow members who need use their trucks for a living. A hot shower,nice home cooked meal and a safe comfortable place to sleep, - in return for the "road warrior tales".
I have a four bedroom house 5 min' from the beach that needs a bit of furniture, if the current tenants are moving out, I just may be able to help those that come down to Myrtle Beach.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:58 PM

uship

moved alot on uship over time, each and every booking fee was over 150 bucks. Talked to a guy today about a new uship type site. www.theshippingdock.com set up for us. And the highest a booking fee will be is $10.00. Talked to they guy for a while, seems like good people that understand the business. Thought it might be worth a shot.
New on this board just wanted to maybe break the ice with some info that might help some folks. Thanks,
Old 11-16-2009, 03:07 PM

Welcome to the board and thanks for the new info. I'm always looking for cheaper ways to ship things.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:41 PM

uship

yes and thanks, i am looking to get a new truck my self to get my son on the road. found one in MD just been waiting for this site to go live dec 1st to use it. Scared about using uship as a shipper because of the bad stories, and really not crazy about putting up the deposit before i speak to the transporter.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Uship does NOTHING to ensure you are being connected with a LEGAL or INSURED shipper. But as long as people are willing to roll the dice and trust there property to illegal haulers uship will thrive.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:20 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by haulin-rv
Uship does NOTHING to ensure you are being connected with a LEGAL or INSURED shipper. But as long as people are willing to roll the dice and trust there property to illegal haulers uship will thrive.
Nicely put!
Old 11-21-2009, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by pwirch
Welcome to the board and thanks for the new info. I'm always looking for cheaper ways to ship things.
I read posts all the time on consumer forums crying because they chose the cheapest rate possible and their shipment was late , lost , or damaged . Most of us here remember the member that found out the engine block he shipped was sold with the truck and trailer after the rig was impounded because the owner was operating without authority . I see plenty of hotshot rigs put out of service behind the scales . Running legally isn't cheap and legal haulers don't work cheap .
Old 01-28-2010, 08:19 PM

I use uShip for a while but not anymore ! So many Tom, Dick, and Harrys running illegal that a legal carrier will go broke running there. I live in Idaho and watch uShip listing close, when I find a illegal that lives in Idaho I turn him in to my DOT buddy. I belong to another site that finds and IDs these illegal hauler and then turns them into the proper DOT office. Interstate commerce is not a good old boy business and running illegal is a felony crime
Old 06-05-2010, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by uShip hauler
I use uShip for a while but not anymore ! So many Tom, Dick, and Harrys running illegal that a legal carrier will go broke running there. I live in Idaho and watch uShip listing close, when I find a illegal that lives in Idaho I turn him in to my DOT buddy. I belong to another site that finds and IDs these illegal hauler and then turns them into the proper DOT office. Interstate commerce is not a good old boy business and running illegal is a felony crime
You must be talking about Stop Illegal Trucking . com
http://www.stopillegaltrucking.com/forum/index.php

Quick Reply: Any one using uship?