Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Air ride 5ther coupler any good?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air ride 5ther coupler any good?

This is a site for a coupler that is an air ride. Looks like it would make for a lot smoother ride. Any one seen one or use one?

http://www.fifthairborne.com/
Old 07-26-2007, 09:52 PM

Wow,

I found the price on that coupler. And for $800 I don't think I want one any more. Sounds really nice, but not that nice.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:01 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Air ride anything in the coupling smooths out the ride and shock on the fiver. It can help in the truck ride. After loosing my framing around my kingpin, anything to protect that is great. The best approach is with the air hitch. It moves both up and down, sideways and back and forth. This helps dramatically with fore/aft motion called chucking. Much more expensive, but sure worth it. I have the Air Safe hitch, 25K version with the Holland head. Wow, the head alone is almost worth the money - - what a difference from the typical Reese style hookup. The Airborne and other air pinboxes have a solid pivot and move up and down only - - they do not move fore/aft to smooth out chucking.

Bob
Old 07-27-2007, 09:30 AM

I have the Air Safe Class VI for my receiver hitch, and it performs in that setup just as FiverBob's does in the 5th wheel. It was expensive, but it certainly makes for a gentler ride (both truck, trailer & cargo). Don't need weight distributing for my Airstream.

It does cause me to stare at every single vehicle I pass that is towing to look at their hitch....it is a terrible habit to get into !
Old 08-13-2007, 10:45 PM

I have the air ride fifth wheel on a 32 ft Rv trailer and I can tell you I have never pulled anything that rides that smooth. A good investment when I pull it up to Alaska. Dave
Old 08-14-2007, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bonshawman
I have the Air Safe Class VI for my receiver hitch, and it performs in that setup just as FiverBob's does in the 5th wheel. It was expensive, but it certainly makes for a gentler ride (both truck, trailer & cargo). Don't need weight distributing for my Airstream.

It does cause me to stare at every single vehicle I pass that is towing to look at their hitch....it is a terrible habit to get into !
LOL... I have so many comments on mine... I get tired of people asking me what the heck it is... I know what you mean about checkin out other peoples hitches... (Sounds dirty doesn't it?)