Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Air Lift Bags question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Lift Bags question?

I'm getting ready to install the air bags on 03. Should I use 1 or 2 air valves to inflate them? pros & cons would be appreciated.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:27 AM

I prefer having each side on different valves so I can adjust a side if i need to.. also I have a bed camper and it is nice to be able to level the truck if i park on uneven ground
Old 12-05-2006, 10:15 AM

I've used them for years and plumbed together is "OK" but I much prefer to have them seperate.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:34 AM
Banned

Use to because this will eliminate body roll which is what there for, If you run one line the bags will deflate on one side and inflate more on the other when turning, two lines will eliminate this.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:38 PM

I have a set of Firestone air bags installed on my 2500. The pin weight of my 5vr is approx 1600lb. Needless to say the air bags work great. I really like the ability to adjust the level of the truck. In any case I have both bags plumbed to one common air fitting. Since my pin load is set dead center in the truck bed side to side sway in not really an issue. Even so did consider running a separate line to each bag but settled on a compromise. On the down stream side of the tee feeding the bags I installed a needle valve. The valve is throttled down close to the shut off point. Filling the bags is no problem but it does take several seconds for them to equalize. In fact what I do is run the pressure up to approx 50psi and then recheck in a minute or so. Generally the recheck shows I'm right at my target pressure. The needle valve prevents side to side surging between the air bags. The thought of using separate feed lines came after I had already completed the entire installation, in fact, after I had made several trips towing the 5vr. Thus the benifts of replumbing the entire system just didn't really make sense but the needle valve was easy and works just about as well. You could argue that it is better than two feed lines when you consider that the needle valve solution guarantees that both bags are always operating at the same pressure.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:55 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by jerryk
You could argue that it is better than two feed lines when you consider that the needle valve solution guarantees that both bags are always operating at the same pressure.
Can you explain a little further.

I decided on running two seperate lines as the family and I like to get off the beaten path a little. If I roll through a large pot hole and the two bags are tied together the one bag is going to lose pressure as the other side compensates. The inverse happens as you come out of that hole creating a lot of body roll.
tom
Old 12-05-2006, 07:58 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by jerryk
You could argue that it is better than two feed lines when you consider that the needle valve solution guarantees that both bags are always operating at the same pressure.
Sorry, after reading again I think I understand the concept a little better.
tom
Old 12-06-2006, 09:47 AM

jerryk, I like what you did with the needle valve. Good thinking. Now if I only new where to buy one and what to ask for, so I don't look like a dum--s. Can I order one on line? Thanks
Old 12-06-2006, 11:44 AM

Alcor,

Home Depot, in the plumbing section. About $5 as i recall