Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

5th wheel trailer is gone

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 01:08 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
p.s.

good luck with the recover/theft!
Old 10-05-2006, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by k-bit
What precautions do others take to secure your trailer or 5th wheel. I will start - lock on hitch latch, Battery disconnected so electric hitch will not work. I used to put a cable through the wheels but have been negligent in that lately.
Jack

This is my deterent. Fortunately I don't have to use a storage facility and if someone is dumb enough to try to get my trailer I guess they are in for a rude awakening.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:59 PM

Well, I just got a update. They did some work on the picture of the truck used to take the trailer. The tailgate was down, and it was determined that there was no plate on the truck. So, my guess is that it was their truck and not stolen.

But I have come up with a few idea's to prevent the theft in the future. I warn you that some are not nice.

1. put four wheel boots on the trailer. This way they will have to replace the wheels too.

2. Rewire the plug so that when they plug it in, the trailer brakes get a full 12 volts. I would create an adapter that I would use to correct the wires to the correct spot.

3. put a fake plug on. (not so good)

4. Ok, this options is a result of my electronics engineering background and my co-workers with the same background. And it is down right mean . But hey, their the ones stealing my trailer, right? The thought is to either have a hidden switch to switch the cable to good or bad, or install another cable plug somewhere where I would have a cable that plugs into the truck and then plugs into the trailer. But leave the original cable there. The cable would be wired so that it has a voltage of 36 greater. I only need the volts, not the current as I don't want to blow the fuses. But sending 36 or greater volts back into the truck would fry the electronics of the truck. As you know, the newer trucks can run with out its computer.

So if your currently trying to steal my trailer, and then you find that your truck just died and wont start any more. What do you do? Run, hide? Meanwhile, I will be laughing my butt off.

Like I said, option four is mean and hateful. But it will stop them in their tracks without any danger to the person. Anthony
Old 10-05-2006, 07:11 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
http://www.sendum.com/product/mobile.htm

There are several other vendors that provide a similar service. I don't know what kind of monthly charges there would be for something like this but depending on your 5th wheel it could be cheap insurance.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:28 AM

Sorry to hear that, that would rolaly tick me off. One of the other options, we do it with our trailer (for winter too) is do what the road crew guys do. Ever see the trailers with signs on the high ways?? Never have any wheels on them,t hey jack them up, and take the wheels. Sure I'm betting the guy could show up with tires and wheels, jack it up, put them on, but now your looking at a very long time to get all this done. It may take a while but you may wana take the wheels tires off, and have it set on blocks when in storage (also better for the tires) A little bit more work, but it is a very good theft deterant.