Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

5th Wheel tire replcement- 16" LT

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 10:43 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I got the XPS' at Costco but it was summer time. I do have allllllll winter to do a little research on them though.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:02 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
For those who haven't read this forum https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...t306924p2.html , the only ST tire that isnt considered worthless is the Maxxis. If you have 16" wheels, definitely get LT tires. Read any RV forum and you will get the same response.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey gang - - let's get real. Not all tires are created equal. We can't say always buy an LT and come away feeling good about ourselves without say WHICH LT to buy. That is like saying buy a pickup without designating which one to buy. Likewise, you can't say never buy an ST without saying which we are talking about. There is junk in both of them - - AND, there is good in both. I had LT's on my rig and blew them when only two years old. Replaced two and blew one of them within a year. Goodyear was great about standing behind their tires, but I didn't like blown tires. Talked for about 1/2 hour with an engineer from Goodyear - - he highly recommended in my case going with the ST G614. If you pick up this tire in one hand and the LT in the other, you will fall over sideways onto the ST - - it is soooo much heavier. Put it on, then back into a parking space and watch your tires - - it stays straight all the way - - no squashing sideways from the strain. So much for steering tires - - we don't steer a trailer - - we pull them straight. This tire is made for that. The heavier sidewall is made to not squish. The steel comes all the way up the sides on these things. Anyhow, I have now blown one G614 after Florida to Alaska and back, Florida to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland and back and Florida to deep into Mexico, back up west coast to Canada, then back home. Goodyear replaced the tire for free, paid for damage ($900), replaced another one that was cracking and I replaced the other two on my nickle. This tire is designed for the rigors of a trailer. Treat it right and it will hold up. Goodyear will treat you right perchance you have a problem unlike Michelin. There are junk ST's just like there are junk LT's.

OK, off my rant. .....

Bob
Old 12-02-2012, 11:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Michelin XPS Rib and Bridgestone Duravis are "all position comercial tire" made for severe duty just like the larger tires up to 22" OTR truck and trailer tires. Side stress from from torque turning does not cause sidwall stress as radial tires are designed to flex. It can cause tread seperation from the carcass which amplifies while traveling at speed for extended time intervals generating heat in the carcass and tread softening the bond between two. Tire "tire gators" on the road are usually the tread sections of re-treaded tires victims of bad bonding or heat. Sidewall blowouts are caused by excess weight, heat or sidewall damage ie; curb scrubs or sharp edges. Don T the DOT does not differentiate between trailer, drive position and steering on commercial vehicles why would they on an RV? Looks like he was simply noting load rating and chassis rating with a touch of internet browsing reading. Higher the number of plys the tougher the tire in general but RV's do not generate any higher side torque than a standard closed tandem, 10'1" Texas spread on commercial trailers are continually subjected high tire sidewall torques (scrubbing) and do not not use a special trailer tires. Lots of commercial trailers work everyday like hotshots putting on more miles with heavy loads using LT tires and way less issues. These units are subjected to hot/cold pavement, tight turns including jacknifing in tight spaces, rough/gravel roads and excess speed? RV's are noted for poor alignment, light components and poor quality control, also most RV'ers are not as road savvy as commercial operators while using their equipment.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:08 PM

That's unusual that the MS came with 16" LTs. My first Sunnybrook was a 2000 and I had about 25 friends in the Denver club with about that same year and they were all STs. My 98 SB came with ST C range. Then I had 2 set of Ds that still thru treads. The Cs had enough weight rating for my 5er and Ds were well over. I've read about plenty of Maxis STs flying apart, too. Anyway, stay with LTs. I went to LTs last year and I won't go back. You'll have a harder time finding an LT that won't hold up than finding an ST that will! My Dunlop LTs (80psi) run way cooler with 70 psi than the ST Ds with 65 psi, ever thought about. Craig
Old 12-02-2012, 08:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by P Kennedy
Tire "tire gators" on the road are usually the tread sections of re-treaded tires victims of bad bonding or heat.
Gators are actually not retread separations. Retreads don't add more cords. Gators are from carcass failure.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:35 PM

So at the risk of being "crusty" I never said anywhere that a retread adds cords and yes if you look carefully and talk to the retreader boys it is the vulcanization of the new tread to carcass that usually fails 1st. However after 2 million miles on the highway and having the fortune of paying and repairing those tires at my time and cost what would a fool like myself need to know about component failure cost and why. Because it is my money and my equipment based on my experience I run a commercial high quality LT tire on all my trucks and trailers. However my misguided purchases amount to nothing more than good luck with 0 failures other than flats due to road hazards, what were some us thinking? Always believe your tire dealer after all his profits have no bearing on the number of toys he can afford. ST tire police carry on!
Old 12-26-2012, 01:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg Reed
Michelin XPS rib are a geed tire for trailers. Very well thought of on the RV forums. Pricey though. All steel casing. COSTCO has them. Bridgestone also has an all steel casing commercial Duravis, but I can't remember the model. I don't remember reading of the XPS having any problems with blow outs on the RV forums.
had two chinese ST tires blow while towing 3 years ago-NEVER, I repeat Never buy ST tires
I agree with Greg*******************************
Had 4 BFG LT 265-16 commercial tires and they were GREATTowed at 70 + mph when conditions warranted
Michelin who own BFG replaced the tires with LT Mich at NO charge or hassle (COSTCO)
Put 7000 m towing 12,000# 5er. on last Summer -Tires are great, no worry about blowing out at higher speeds
Tire prices sure have gone UP though and that really sucks!
Old 12-29-2012, 05:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 7 year old set of Goodyear G614s that look surprisingly good no surface cracks or defects.i came back from vacation this summer after a trip up the California/Oregon coast then down the middle of the states back home in 100* heat not 1 issue. there very expensive but IMHO worth the money . nothing I hate more then damage from junky tires. my only other chose would be XPS ribs. my .02
Old 12-30-2012, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best LT tires might be a few more bucks.

Note that ST tires are never to be used on a passenger vehicle, nor are they compatible with high-speed & high heat. They appear to be a tire invented to use old tire-making machinery a few more years. Go back far enough and there was no such thing as an ST. We all used LT tires on trailers.

Those who want ST can have them. They might be good enough for an open construction trailer that gets moved [6] times yearly. But, too many reports on too many forums about ST blowout. Some of those threads involve tire engineers, so it ain't all hot air.

I recently bought a set of tires from a GY dealer who refuses to carry, much less install, ST tires on any customer trailer. None of this is unusual anymore.

Upgrading to 16" from 15" is on my list. It will include wheels properly rated as well a TPMS.

The BRIDGESTONE Duravis r250 and BFGOODRICH Commercial T/A are my likely tire choices at present.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:26 PM

I`ve been replacing mine with Firestone Lt`s. Have had good luck with them. The last 5`er I had it had Coop tires on it. Never had a problem and they ran for almost 10 years with only one flat tire. The Firewtones are Transforce HT and I have gotten long mileage out of them.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:39 AM

After 3 blow outs with Goodyear Marathon ST's on my 5'er I ugraded to 16" wheels and BFG Commercial TA's in E load rating and never looked back. My trailer is a 30.5 Jayco Bunkhouse. So far 2 years and no issues.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
we gotta get the word out--KEEP IT UP
"DO NOT BUY ST TIRES"
Old 01-17-2013, 03:19 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
My son recently picked up a used 26deck with hydraulic tilt goosneck trailer then drove around 500 miles North to pick up a loader. sets off to come back and 3 km out blows a tire too cold to change it so he drives back the 3 km and changes for the spare. Now he's faced with 500 miles of virtually nothing with no spare, Yup blows a tire, this time he calls a tire shop to come out with two tires and a new rim. He sets off again and blows another of the original tires, luckily he didn't get far so he called the same tire shop to come out again with two more tires. So he's stuck beside the road he calls me and tells me the story. YUP ST235/80/R16's so I tell him to get LT235/85 R16's and be done with it. He just called them back so I don't know what he's getting. Sure the ST tires might be past their prime but the trailer was in use most days with a loader on it.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:32 AM

If you run the Goodyear G614s ,adhere to the speed rating on the sidewall, Trust me the damage rendered from that HUGE chunk of tread at 80 mph is hell on an RV, Don't ask me how I know.
I replaced with Transforce and have been well satisfied although two that do get sun while in the shed when not in use have surface cracks my fault for not covering.

Quick Reply: 5th Wheel tire replcement- 16" LT