Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

5th Wheel tire replcement- 16" LT

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5th Wheel tire replcement- 16" LT

My 2000 Mobil Scout 32' came with Goodyear Lt 225/75 16 tires. Time to replace. I considerd ST tires, but they all seem to be made in China and fail more often than Congress.
That being said, I am considering both Yokahana Geolander HTS-G051 or Goodrich Longtrails TA. Both are about $130 and seem to be very reputable brands.
Comments?
Recommendations?
Old 12-22-2011, 11:45 AM

I would try the goodyear G164 235/85R16 tires if they fit they are a G rated, very heavy tire. I do not know the weight of your trailer but I used these on a 14000lbs trailer and they lasted many many miles. If you go on some of the RV forums these tires get good reviews. Bad new is they are expensive!!!
Old 12-22-2011, 12:38 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I would second the response on going with the ST tire, Goodyear G614. Very heavy casing specifically designed for straight line travel. With your size rig, you need the extra tire on it. I am on my second set - - I replace every five years regardless of the mileage.

Bob
Old 12-22-2011, 05:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
do not ever go with a st tire stay with Lt only, this is a safety rating thing. the Lt tires have a higher safety margin because they are used for front steering, a good rule of thumb is one rating less for st ie if you run a e rating st it is the same as a Lt d rated tire also for the same reason the st tire does not have as much UV inhibitor as the Lt tires. the Goodyear tire rubber rots to soon stick with Lt-225-75-R16 g toyo or yokohama is a good choice i just noticed your model, you will be ok with E rated tires
Old 12-22-2011, 09:13 PM
J&L

The LT225/75-16 E @ 80 psi are rated at 2680 lbs capacity. No need for a G614 at 110 psi as your present wheel probably aren't 110 psi rated.

These fabric carcass 16" LT E tires have been recommended by their manufature for use on a heavy trailer;
Goodyear Wrangler HT
BFG Commercial HT
Cooper SRM II
Firestone Transforce HT

Thse two tires are pricey but their tops.
Commercial grade all steel ply carcass tire;
Michelin XPS Ribs
Bridgestone Duravis R250.

LT tire makers may have several line of LT tires however they may have only one line they recommend for using on a heavy trailer. Always ask a trailer experienced dealer/manufacture which one first.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Michelin XPS rib are a geed tire for trailers. Very well thought of on the RV forums. Pricey though. All steel casing. COSTCO has them. Bridgestone also has an all steel casing commercial Duravis, but I can't remember the model. I don't remember reading of the XPS having any problems with blow outs on the RV forums.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go with commerical tires. Get better mileage and you can get re-tread when it's time to replace them again for less than 3/4 the cost of new set of tires.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:40 PM

stay away from generals they like to peel off. I would never run retreads on a TT unless you like taking the chance of ripping up the side. Other trailer5s no problem.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:11 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Anyone used the Michelin XPS ribs in slippery/ice conditions?
Old 11-25-2012, 11:40 PM

If you go to a 235/85/16E you will raise your weight rating to over3000lbs
Old 11-26-2012, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Busboy
Anyone used the Michelin XPS ribs in slippery/ice conditions?
I am using Michelins XP Ribs on my 5er. Put them on in this spring and towed them for a full camping season. I have pulled the trailer in heavy rain storms only with no icy roads conditions since we do not camp in the winter months with no issue. I would think the Michelins Ribs would be an excellent tire for winter conditions since it is an all position tire and is sold for commercial use. Thought the tire tread pattern in my opinion would not be suitable for an off-road tire on the drive axle. For trailer use I think this tire would be expectable. The tire is will recommended on “Turbo Diesel Registry” by user of this tire in the towing and hauling threads.
Jim W.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:24 PM

Here's a vote for Cooper SRM II's... I just picked up 4 for my 5er which weighs 12.5k fully loaded..

I did get them in the 235 size and thus get that 3000lb rating.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:20 PM

my fiver came with Good year wranglers and now have Michelin E rated. I find the fiver tows easier and I like the tires. They are made to fit a dualie so I think I`am good to go !
Old 11-26-2012, 07:32 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim W
I am using Michelins XP Ribs on my 5er. Put them on in this spring and towed them for a full camping season. I have pulled the trailer in heavy rain storms only with no icy roads conditions since we do not camp in the winter months with no issue. I would think the Michelins Ribs would be an excellent tire for winter conditions since it is an all position tire and is sold for commercial use. Thought the tire tread pattern in my opinion would not be suitable for an off-road tire on the drive axle. For trailer use I think this tire would be expectable. The tire is will recommended on “Turbo Diesel Registry” by user of this tire in the towing and hauling threads.
Jim W.
Thanks for the reply, the reason I ask is I have a new set I took off my last 5ver before I traded it and never got to use them in cold weather. After I had them installed on the last 5ver I read somewhere even though they are made in the UK they were not recommended for use below 32F so have been reluctant to install them on my new rig even though they are far superior to the factory rubber.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:26 PM

Dot stopped me with my fiver this summer checking to see IF I had my truck registered to carry the weight of the fiver. He looked at my permit and said you can`t run those tires on your fiver. I said they are rated E and yes I can ,I got a funny look . He said I have to run trailer tires on that trailer. So I got out of the Cab and showed him the speck sheet on the drivers side front of the fiver.I said this fiver came with e rated good year wranglers on it from the factory where it was built and was Made in Canada and must have passed some kind of test to be sold with those tires. also with a 10,500 lb gvw I know those tire well pass the GVW of this fiver. I had just installed Michelin 205/75/16 tires on my trailer as a replacement for the GY tires. He said looks like your covered , have a safe weekend . Had that same issue getting the fiver safted this year till I pointed out the same sticker on the fiver.The guy then tested and passed the fiver.I think the tires are specked to 3280 lbs each and more than plenty for my 10500 gvw. Thanks to this site I knew what I was saying and did the research. The Michelin tires are allseason rated . Never heard of a tire that can`t be used below 32 deg. Not much good up here lol.

Quick Reply: 5th Wheel tire replcement- 16" LT