Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

5er Hitches for 2003 Dodges

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5er Hitches for 2003 Dodges

I am buying a new 2003 2500 and finally retiring the 92 model. I tow a 34ft 5er. I heard that the new hydroformed frames are difficult to mount a hitch because they should not be drilled or welded. Anybody with experience in this area? ???
Old 02-08-2003, 07:10 AM
Chapter President

Re:5er Hitches for 2003 Dodges

Not sure about the 2500 but the 3500 rails are out...the 2500 should be released soon<br><br><br>PullRite Just Released The bedrail and bracket kit for the 3500 dualie 2WD is ready. Cost is about twice that of a regular bedrail kit but there is no welding or drilling required for installation. Part number is 0828
Old 02-08-2003, 10:49 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

[quote author=sullivad link=board=11;threadid=10691;start=0#102192 date=1044709394]
I am buying a new 2003 2500 and finally retiring the 92 model. I tow a 34ft 5er. I heard that the new hydroformed frames are difficult to mount a hitch because they should not be drilled or welded. Anybody with experience in this area? ???
[/quote]

Click on the &quot;Search&quot; button and type in something about hitches. There are volumes written in this forum on the subject.

Yes, you can drill it - - Yes, you can weld it - - If it is all done correctly. Check the threads. There are a bunch of us with fiver hitches installed and out tearing up the highways. Check my stats below.

FiverBob
Old 02-08-2003, 04:26 PM

Ditto what FiverBob said. The no drill no weld story is an old internet tale, it is not true. There is links on this site to the &quot;offical&quot; word from Dodge on that very subject.
Old 02-08-2003, 05:46 PM

Actually it was NOT an internet tale. That is what the official line was from Dodge. I should know; I heard it enough times from DC before they came out with the guidelines. The guidelines which they STILL have not released to the dealers provide specific guidelines to be followed for drilling and welding. Make you wonder why the dealers don't have it. THAT is why I am installing a Pullrite this week. No drilling or welding required. I just feel better about it. And quite frankly, the folks as Pullrite should GIVE lessons in good customer service to DC. Pullrite treats you like a customer instead of an inconvenience. FWIW.<br><br>Casey
Old 02-09-2003, 08:26 AM

When I bought my truck in October the internet web sites were full of the no weld no drill claim. <br> I called Dodge and talked to customer service. I asked them about that very issue. They put me on hold for several minutes and went and asked the experts in charge of such things. The person came back and said it was straight from the experts on the subject it was OK to do either. My dealer were I bought my truck said it was OK to drill or weld also. <br> And for another month or two after that all I read from the web sites was the tale of woe , can't drill or weld. It was not true then and not true now. So what else could it be but an internet tale. The internet is the only place I ever saw it.<br> If your dealer dose not have a copy of it give him this. <br>Memo follows:<br>2003 Dodge Ram<br><br>Frame<br>Caution: Use of proper safety equipment is recommended when performing any modification or alterations.<br>The following industry standard procedures are recommended for proper installation of special bodies and/or equipment on the Ram Frame (ie. 5th wheel hitches, snow plows. etc.). Failure to follow these recommendations could result in damage to the basic vehicle and possible injury to occupants.<br><br>Holes<br>Holes are NOT to be drilled in the top or bottom of the frame rails. Holes to mount out-riggers, brackets, and supports must be drilled in the web (vertical sides) of the frame rail with the following restrictions:<br>1) No holes should exceed 20 mm (0.75 inch) in diameter.<br>2) Material between edge of hole and top or bottom of the frame rail must not be less than 40 mm (1.60 inches).<br>3) The minimum edge distance between any two (2) holes must be larger than twice the diameter of the larger hole.<br>4) Any thru fastener that torques down on both external surfaces of the rail must use an internal spacer to prevent crushing the rail tube.<br>5) All holes should be drilled in the frame using appropriate drilling practice and safety precaution.<br>6) Avoid drilling holes near the fuel tank, fuel and brake lines and other lines and wires to avoid damage to them.<br><br>Welding<br>Prior to any welding, the following must be done:<br>1) Avoid welding near the fuel tank, fuel and brake lines or other component that bay be damaged by the heat of welding. If it is necessary to weld near these areas, use wet cloths to cover these components. If it is necessaryt to remove the fuel tank, lines or other components, do it in accordance with applicable service manual procedure.<br>2) Components near the welding area which could be damaged by excessive heat must be removed or adequately shielded.<br>3) Disconnect the battery .<br>4) Precautionary measures should be used to prevent electrical system components or wiring damage.<br>5) Frame e-coating must be removed from the welding and surrounding area.<br><br>Use proper welding techniques to avoid stress risers that may adversely effect frame performance.<br><br>After Welding:<br>1) Carefully inspect electrical components and wiring for shorts and other damage:<br>2) Apply protective coating to areas where coating was removed.<br><br>Note: DaimlerChrysler Corporation doesn’t recommend any modification or alteration to the frame assembly. Modification or alterations (i.e., drilling, welding, etc.) to the frame assembly are the responsibility of person performing these modification or alteration. Anyone shoring the frame must assume complete responsibility for assembly, performance, reliability and compliance of applicable FMVSS requirements.
Old 02-09-2003, 11:11 AM

Had rails for my drawtite installed a couple of weeks ago. Usually do this type of stuff my self but after reading the install instructions and seeing where the bolts were going to have to be fished from I forked over the $100 for the install. Took 2 guys 2 hours to get it done while I relaxed in the waiting area. Desire to do my own work mitigated by the thought of lying on the cold concrete in 20 degree weather.
Old 02-10-2003, 06:08 PM

Moss, then I guess the two customer service reps and the Canadian National Customer Service Manager who issued a Technical Bulletin to dealers must have read it on the internet as well. ???

At the beginning of January I gave the dealer the official guidelines what were emailed to me by the guy in charge of the Ram Program at DC. As I said, DC still had not officially released those guidelines to the dealers. I can't help it if DC internal communications leave something to be desired. In the end it is YOUR truck and YOU decide what you will do with it. That is what I will do with MINE and that does NOT include drilling the frame. MHO.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:47 PM

I just noticed you live in Canada. I don't know anything about Canada and their laws and rules for trucks.<br> I am in the United states and it is OK here. <br> That is fine do what you want with your truck. <br> But as it is now clear, you are still expounding the no drill the frame worry with written instructions from Dodge to the contrary.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:29 AM

Moss, with all due respect, you were saying that it was simply an internet rumor. Clearly it was not. If you know someone that is a member of the TDR, ask them to show you the last issue. By the way, the official Dodge memo which I have distributed freely to anyone who has asked is dated December 9, 2002.<br><br>Casey
Old 02-12-2003, 09:54 AM

Casey,<br> In the interest of civilty I will stop claiming it is an old internet rumor.<br> I will await your offical findings on the strength of the frame of a 2003 Dodge Heavy Duty truck. In the meantime I will follow the guidelines recommended by Dodge. <br><br> Frame<br>Caution: Use of proper safety equipment is recommended when performing any modification or alterations.<br>The following industry standard procedures are recommended for proper installation of special bodies and/or equipment on the Ram Frame (ie. 5th wheel hitches, snow plows. etc.). Failure to follow these recommendations could result in damage to the basic vehicle and possible injury to occupants.<br><br>Holes<br>Holes are NOT to be drilled in the top or bottom of the frame rails. Holes to mount out-riggers, brackets, and supports must be drilled in the web (vertical sides) of the frame rail with the following restrictions:<br>1) No holes should exceed 20 mm (0.75 inch) in diameter.<br>2) Material between edge of hole and top or bottom of the frame rail must not be less than 40 mm (1.60 inches).<br>3) The minimum edge distance between any two (2) holes must be larger than twice the diameter of the larger hole.<br>4) Any thru fastener that torques down on both external surfaces of the rail must use an internal spacer to prevent crushing the rail tube.<br>5) All holes should be drilled in the frame using appropriate drilling practice and safety precaution.<br>6) Avoid drilling holes near the fuel tank, fuel and brake lines and other lines and wires to avoid damage to them.<br><br>Welding<br>Prior to any welding, the following must be done:<br>1) Avoid welding near the fuel tank, fuel and brake lines or other component that bay be damaged by the heat of welding. If it is necessary to weld near these areas, use wet cloths to cover these components. If it is necessaryt to remove the fuel tank, lines or other components, do it in accordance with applicable service manual procedure.<br>2) Components near the welding area which could be damaged by excessive heat must be removed or adequately shielded.<br>3) Disconnect the battery .<br>4) Precautionary measures should be used to prevent electrical system components or wiring damage.<br>5) Frame e-coating must be removed from the welding and surrounding area.<br><br>Use proper welding techniques to avoid stress risers that may adversely effect frame performance.<br><br>After Welding:<br>1) Carefully inspect electrical components and wiring for shorts and other damage:<br>2) Apply protective coating to areas where coating was removed.<br><br>Note: DaimlerChrysler Corporation doesn’t recommend any modification or alteration to the frame assembly. Modification or alterations (i.e., drilling, welding, etc.) to the frame assembly are the responsibility of person performing these modification or alteration. Anyone shoring the frame must assume complete responsibility for assembly, performance, reliability and compliance of applicable FMVSS requirements.andy<br>