Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

3rd Generation air bags

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by XLR8R
Hmm, the driveline shudder on takeoff (or even in the next gear or two) is usually caused by excessive driveline angles tweaking the U-joints. Typically, leaf spring wind-up is a problem dealt with while drag racing or sled pulling; I'd be surprised at traction bars being helpful while towing.
Spring wrap can be a problem when towing also. With the torque of the Cummins and all that weight back there acting like an anchor the spring pack will deform when accelerating. A well designed set of trackbars (avoid types with bushings at both ends, especially at the frame mount) with completely cure this.

Originally Posted by XLR8R
The stock springs on the 3rd gens do give a more comfortable ride than the 2nd gens, but they are stronger than the previous leaf sets - the new ones are just significantly longer, which makes them feel softer. It's not easy to squat the rear springs on a Ram!
I can attest to that. I had my golf cart in the bed and my trailer, loaded for 7-day vacation, coupled and the rear came down about an inch. That was a 2000-lb total load. Not bad!
Old 10-24-2006, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick update..

Tried my latest attempt to solve the launch shudder. I ended up re-arranging my rear leaf spring pack so that 2 of the 3- 3/8" thick spacers on the bottom of the spring pack are now under the overload leafs. This moves the overloads closer to the bump stops when unloaded, and now the overloads rest on the bump stops when loaded with my trailer. This modification dropped the unloaded ride height of the truck about 3/4" and moved up the overload leafs by the same amount.

No shudder at all when unloaded, and is not bad when towing. If you get on it hard, it still has some vibration through first gear, but is a improvement over my other attempts to solve the problem.

Air bags my still be a good upgrade for towing, and some of the reasons previously mentioned.