Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

2004 7speed auto thanks to DavidTD

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 7speed auto thanks to DavidTD

Hello
I learned something this past weekend down in Commerce Ga. I pulled our 5er camper about 10 K down to Commerce Ga, with our auto trans equipped truck.

We where Standing/sitting around talking and the subject of my trip down to Ga came up, I said something about the auto trans sure gets hot and wished I had my six speed.

David asked if I pushed the TOW/HAUL button and put the shifter lever in "2" and start off that way. I told him no.

Here it goes, I hope I explain this so as to everyone can understand what I am trying to say.

From a stop light or from a rest area, start out in "2" with the TOW/Haul light lite. The truck will start out in first (1st) and go to 2 (2nd) and then to 2 with the torque converter locked up (3rd) now when you reach the rpm you shift at move the shift lever to "D" our truck acts like it down shifts (4th) for a very short time and goes to TC lock up (5th) then if pulling a hill you may want to leave it there if not push the TOW/Haul button off and then (6th) and (7th) happen.

On my trip to Ga on the 7th of Sept it was nothing for me to see transmission oil temperature from the HOT pipe of 220/240 when going through the gears. Using the above posted procedures the HOT PIPE temps did not get above 200 even with hard acceleration up hill to get to freeway speeds from a on ramp/rest stop.

I am not trying to start anything here but, when the TC is locked up it does not create heat.
Heat is a very bad thing for the auto transmission.

This is my second time writing this post because the dog gone spell check ICON ate the last one. So If there are mis spelled words you just need to deal with it, it's not like it would be the first time I had mis spelled werds.

I had a GREAT TIME down at the Mopar meet in Commerce Ga.

See Ya
Chris

Edit 11:30 11 Sept. I finally have the spell check working.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The '06 48RE now does this on its own. No need to manually select gears.

And you're right, with the torque converter locked very little heat is being produced by the tranny.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf
when the TC is locked up it does not create heat.
You probably already know this: when the converter slips, it creates heat.
For those who don't beleive, a simple physics example:
1) put the palms of your hands together, like you are about to clap
2) rotate your plams back and forth
3) feel the heat?
4) stop
Obviously, this is an oversimplified example and for illustration purposes only. But, I think it makes the point

Between too many heat realted trans failures and higher performance diesel and gas engines they needed to do something to control trans heat; larger coolers would only help so much. That's why the OEMs came up with lockup converters. Then, they incorporated lockup clutches in the converters for a more positive, consistent, and controllable lock up.

HTH

Tony
Old 09-11-2006, 11:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is why I installed the "mystery switch" in my '98 - I can toggle the OD and converter lockup off and on as needed through the gears.