Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

20 ft enclosed trailer/GVWR

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I plan on putting the big appliances, beds, and couches in the front of the trailer and then start stacking boxes from there back. Gotta put that puzzle together the right way to get everything in there. Anyone see anything wrong with doing it that way? I cant verywell weigh each and every item to see what should go where, or can I? That would be a PITA! I do have a bathroom scale though. Thoughts?
Old 07-03-2005, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a question

DOes the trailer have eight lug axles? If so it usually means much heavier duty, even if it has five lugs or even four, i would say that you just load the most weight on the axles, im not familiar with enclosed car hauler types bein that i have never hauled one before.

Well the boxes, especially if they have the dishes and so forth will be heavier than the couches and so forth (i think) so i guess u have the right idea, Im sure ull be ok...

Tx
Old 07-03-2005, 01:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hopefully the trailer has a side door that you can move stuff in/out to adust the weight when you're done loading. Tools and boxes full of books are usually the heaviest in terms of size. You're going to want your tools near one of the doors in case you need them.

When we did our DITY move I printed out numbers from 1 to 200 (4 of each in large font) and then glued them on all four sides of the boxes. As we filled the boxes we wrote down what we put into them so we would have an index of where to find stuff on the other end of the move and it served as a record in case anything was lost, stolen, damaged. This is an especially helpful trick if the boxes go into storage.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:25 PM

You just want the truck/trailer combo to sit kind of level when you're done. I was not implying that you should load a bunch of heavy stuff in the truck and then a bunch of heavy stuff in the rear of the trailer.
My trailer is primarily used for doing household moves so I'd say I know a thing or two about this subject. I would just recommend loading some base in each tier and then just be careful how much weight you stack on top of it. If you do this, by the time you are done, your load will probably be just fine. As I said before, that trailer will hold more than you think.........
Old 07-03-2005, 10:24 PM

I have a 20' classic enclosed trailor, it is rated at 7500 lbs. I load it with tools and supplies to install waste treatment systems. I have had it as heavy as 14000 lbs (not the correct thing to do) and had no problems pulling it the trailor handled it just fine. Just watch how you load it, trying to keep it level and you will be just fine. The stock hitch will work ok for you. MAKE sure your electric brakes are working and check them often. Good luck on your move you will do just fine with that dodge.