Suggestions, Comments and Site Questions Post your comments and suggestions here. We always want to improve the site.

Pretty harsh advertising

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pretty harsh advertising

I noticed on the "Why I hate potatoe bugs" thread that the second top banner is showing a pretty nasty web link for us to go buy um shall we say evil things...

I know the top banner is like a DTR supporter banner,and I am guessing that the second one is for a search engine and it searches for words that are in the thread topic I guess. Just thought I would mention it.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:00 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
Just took a look at this and I concur. This type of thing DOES NOT belong here!!!!
Mods, please remove this advertising.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:05 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Ad's rotate, so they are not just one the top of one one thread or another at any given time.

I bet they are the google ran ones.............
Old 03-22-2006, 02:36 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
They are indeed the google ads and they are geared toward what ever you have been looking at else where on the net. The ads some how are geared toward key words that are in your browsers history, if you go look at ATVs and come back here, likely you will see ATV ads.

We have no control over them or where ever else you are lurking on the net, that you shouldn't be Only you see these ads as they are personalized to your browser, at least this is my understanding at the moment.

I think where the problem comes in is that certain words can trigger specific keywords and that is what some how steers the ad content. You may not actually have to visit an unsavory site to see an ad you don't like, it may be as simple as a keyword match used in a different context.

I am already on this issue as one of our members brought it to my attention last night, I am trying to determine if there is perhaps a filter or something that we can set to avoid accidentally viewing ad content we don't want.

Basically you are in control though by your viewing habits as it is reading your browser history. Be careful where you browse when you are NOT on DTR
Old 03-22-2006, 03:06 PM

Funny all I ever see are ads for truck accessories.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:09 PM

I know this is a site that yall have made, and I think that you should know it better than anyone else, but I have one question?

Is it possible that the words that are in the title of the thread could have an effect on what is shown in that banner. I will tell you now that I have never been on anything like that, and didn't even click on that link when i saw it. I was just dumbfounded that it could show up on this site as well maintaned as it is.

I just was trying to bring it to your attention, I am not angry and I am not
Old 03-22-2006, 03:52 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by HappyGA
I know this is a site that yall have made, and I think that you should know it better than anyone else, but I have one question?

Is it possible that the words that are in the title of the thread could have an effect on what is shown in that banner. I will tell you now that I have never been on anything like that, and didn't even click on that link when i saw it. I was just dumbfounded that it could show up on this site as well maintaned as it is.

That may very well be the case as your browser has seen the title of that thread. Like I said you don't have to go to an unsavory site to have this happen and I did not mean to infer that you had, I was joking about that in my post.

With the other complaints that I have received I believe the browser is the issue. You can clear out your browsers cache and log back in to that thread, you may see something different if you do.

My browser gets scrubbed a couple times a day because I don't like all those temp files to build up. I can easily dump more than 70Mb of temp files every 4 hours or so.

I think because I do that I have yet to see the ads you guys are talking about here. What ever the cause I don't like any of you being offended so please don't take my playful attitude about it as a lack of concern.

I don't know yet what if anything that I can do about it, but I am looking in to it. I appreciate each of you taking the time to point it out to me.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:41 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by HappyGA

The ads have nothing to do with where you've surfed but rather what text is on the page
Old 03-23-2006, 04:24 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I told ya'll that Patitty Bugs are tools of the Devil, but you don't listen, and now ya'll act surprised when elemental evil begins to spread onto your computer.

I warned you... Can't say that I didn't now, can you?
Old 03-23-2006, 04:30 AM

I am appalled!!

I couldn't find the thread "Why I hate potatoe bugs".

I feel so cheated.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:45 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Nothing I can do about the content, guys. It pulls from the pages and presents content that is relevent. I have yet to see any of the ads show this stuff but I take your word for it. Either way, I will continue to investigate what we can to do get rid of some of this content.

If you guys can give me the names and / or URL's of the content in question, I might be able to put it in a filter.

Stan, the ads aren't going away unless you want to replace that ad revenue and keep the site going.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:16 AM

I have that trouble with my student computers here at school. Don't let them type Link removed by Admin. WOW! I felt real retarded.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rbuchana
Funny all I ever see are ads for truck accessories.
That's all I ever see too!
Old 03-23-2006, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Begle1
I told ya'll that Patitty Bugs are tools of the Devil, but you don't listen, and now ya'll act surprised when elemental evil begins to spread onto your computer.

I warned you... Can't say that I didn't now, can you?
Your killing me man, Patitty bugs, Jeez
Old 03-24-2006, 12:04 PM

Wierd.

Merrick

Quick Reply: Pretty harsh advertising