Suggestions, Comments and Site Questions Post your comments and suggestions here. We always want to improve the site.

Is DTR a dying site ( long time users

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 09:36 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I find DTR steady. I do go to other sites. While more trafficked, the usership is also not as friendly. Bunch of young bucks, always looking to one up the next guy. Not with info, but with smart alek attitude and snarky replies. It's not about trucks anymore. It is about who's the "cool guy" on the forum.

I noticed recently there's turnover of new owners in the 3rd gen section. So, figures some of these trucks are on their 2nd or 3rd owners now. So, all the same questions being asked again.

Personally, I see DTR as a long term relationship with a good buddy. It's dependable, friendly, a place I can come to and relax. Yall may think this sounds dumb, but DTR feels like going to church on Sunday evening. Where the world is falling apart but for that hour I can go in with all my vulnerability and be surrounded with comfort and support. Can't do that on other sites.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:27 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well said!
Old 05-06-2014, 10:11 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
X2 ^^^^^^
Old 05-06-2014, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jumped on here a few days ago for the first time in years, think all truck sites are taking a beating with facebook now available, I rarely every use them for truck questions, facebook is easier and I get instant responses......but the archive answers are money if you search them. Don't know what is going to be funnier, the old PM's from 04' or what my signature is when I post this!

Jim
Old 05-06-2014, 11:27 PM

98 12V broken and parked, 01 12V 4x4 running!

Jim
Old 05-07-2014, 06:35 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Fulmer
98 12V broken and parked, 01 12V 4x4 running!

Jim
--------------
Hey Jim,...WELCOME BACK Sir!

Sorry to hear your old nice 98' 12V is down and not running! That truck sure ran good "back in the day."

I still have my 96' 12V and it still looks and runs like it always did.

Take care Sir!

---------
John_P
Old 05-07-2014, 09:50 AM

I think in the early years, there was a big learning curve. Now there is a ton of info here that is searchable.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:02 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Originally Posted by 67HotRod
I think in the early years, there was a big learning curve. Now there is a ton of info here that is searchable.
Very very true.

My first "internet" was when I got to college. Then I joined a truck forum for my truck, ORC Chevy board. Truck stuff was new. Truck stuff was a mystery. From lifts to performance to parts. Programmers were called and actually were "chips". I remember the boldest guy who fabbed his own suspension parts was our Yoda. The conversation was the discovery of information. We pieced together who had worked on what, which parts, results etc and that stuff created what we call the archives now.

Now, I can hit google with a question and get results from a number of different forums all at once. The internet is the new card catalog. And people are even tiring of that! People don't even like to hit the search button. How lazy. Remember when the search button was working on the broken part?

The new discovery these days is largely the technology side. The hard parts are easy to figure out compared to new technology/computer/performance which seem to be the bigger unknowns in the vehicle world.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:18 PM

No biggie JP, it's been down for a long time, had to quit as I was setting myself up to retire from the Navy and it did not fall into a list of priorities. Trying to make it out to TS as there doesn't seem to be anything in my way for the first times in years.

Jim

Originally Posted by John_P
--------------
Hey Jim,...WELCOME BACK Sir!

Sorry to hear your old nice 98' 12V is down and not running! That truck sure ran good "back in the day."

I still have my 96' 12V and it still looks and runs like it always did.

Take care Sir!

---------
John_P
Old 05-07-2014, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Fulmer
No biggie JP, it's been down for a long time, had to quit as I was setting myself up to retire from the Navy and it did not fall into a list of priorities. Trying to make it out to TS as there doesn't seem to be anything in my way for the first times in years.

Jim
----------------
Thanks so much for your reply Jim!

I will be at the "T&S" Event to as I usually am. I will be with Dan Scheid helping him with the Scheid Diesel Dragster. If you can make it come on by so I can say hello to you! Hope to see yout there Jim. BTW,...thanks for your service in the Navy buddy and have a great retirement Jim! You earned it Sir!

------
John_P
Old 05-14-2014, 10:53 AM

in a nutshell this is only my opinion..

there is more useable information for stock, or closer to stock vehicles on this website, than there is on others..

it seems to me this is a more "mature" crowd that actually uses their trucks for their intended purposes.. IE work, RVing, Horse trailering, or hotshotting...

it takes someone that uses their truck in one of the above respective categories to help out someone else who has had a problem similar for any of the above..

it also is a different animal to hot rod these things and take them out of what they were designed for.. for work..

I am not biased, I have both, a toy, and a toter, and each one stays at that.. Very very difficult to have a truck that can do both duties.. Heck look at the carnage at the Diesel power challenge for people that try to do both... there is a line for that..

perhaps some of the other sites are better suited for competition and tuning, this one is better suited for the bolt on guy, and closer to stock guy...

this site still has its purpose, and for mine, it serves it well.. is it dead? no... is it evolving? perhaps, either ways.. this place is still 100 percent useable..

in another nutshell.. a lot less b/s threads and posts to look through...

my favorite part of this place is the above, and lack of coal rolling and smoke talk that is present here...