Suggestions, Comments and Site Questions Post your comments and suggestions here. We always want to improve the site.

Beware of scamers trying to buy on this site!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by signature600
The check I was sent cleared the issuing bank in April, for a different amount. So some foul play happened between now and then.

Chris

If it cleared the bank before wouldn't that mean that someone inside the bank had to be involved in it not being properly stored? If that is the case I would imagine that was not the only one they grabbed.

Randy
Old 09-16-2005, 10:05 AM

Randy you are absolutely correct. For it to clear for an amount different than was deposited, someone intercepted the check in route to the other bank. First suspect would be an internal job, especially since so much of it is done electronically now a days.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:20 AM

I also got a fake cashier's check. It was for the Celica I am trying to sell on here. The amount on the check was twice asking price. I got really suspicious and called the bank (from a number I got online, the number of the check was to a voice mail system that verified the check amount.) and they got back to me that it was fake.
In God we trust, all other's CASH!

Nick
Old 09-16-2005, 02:46 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I had the same thing attempt to happen to me with the bumpers I was selling on here.
Sounded too good to be true plus I thought is was a laundering deal.
Now it makes even more sense...someone is copying checks and duplicating/altering them.

Scotty
Old 09-16-2005, 03:18 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
With the High-Tech scanners and scammers out there today, all they needed to do was print a copy of a real check, cash it, then change the copied check to whatever amount they choose, then mail it to a potential victim.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:47 PM

This stuff really stinks, I too do a lot of business on the net and I and I try to be as careful as I can but a couple of weeks ago I bought something on Ebay only to find out later it was coming from Hong Kong. Oddly enough the only time I've been taken to date is by a guy who was a member and advertiser on this site. I have a collection agency dealing with him now. You can never be too careful.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramtough
Well its not as uncommon as you may think but usually a personal shopper is for clothing or furniture for people with way too much money. ( i think researching and the buying process is part of the fun!) My ex G/F 's dad sends cars and stuff back to his original home, germany and austria, a lot too so there is some legitamcy there...
Is your ex G/F still single?
Old 09-18-2005, 12:45 PM

When my Mom remarried I met her new husbands brother. He deals strictly in check fraud and identity theft for the govt. in Sacramento Ca. We talked over dinner about all of the fraud going on. He said that his biggest problem is the versa-check software available at any office supply store. They sale checks by the boxes and they are printed using the software. So they don't need to steal checks. All they need is your account number and they can print their own. Scary stuff.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by runamuk
Pretty simple solution is to not sell anything on DTR classifieds to anyone but a DTR member.
That way we all know where they live.
Rick
Yes...If they list their location!

Personally, I am a little uncomfortable when someone does not.
RJ
Old 09-20-2005, 01:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by spunbearing
When my Mom remarried I met her new husbands brother. He deals strictly in check fraud and identity theft for the govt. in Sacramento Ca. We talked over dinner about all of the fraud going on. He said that his biggest problem is the versa-check software available at any office supply store. They sale checks by the boxes and they are printed using the software. So they don't need to steal checks. All they need is your account number and they can print their own. Scary stuff.
Now that's interesting. On an overseas eBay sale, the buyer and his connect in this country had problems getting money to me and suggested I give him my bank account number for a bank to bank money transfer. Of course I refused and after the money deadline passed, I reported him as a deadbeat bidder so I could relist the item, which he ended up beating with a one time forgive ebay set up...clown then put bad feedback on me.