Suggestions, Comments and Site Questions Post your comments and suggestions here. We always want to improve the site.

Anybody else having problems navigating????

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 04:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody else having problems navigating????

For the past couple weeks when I come here I browse through a couple pages on the site and then it gets really, really slow to the point that I have to leave the site for a while. This does not happen to me at any other site I go to. This occurs on my home computer and also on the one at work. Any ideas?????
Old 05-03-2007, 04:36 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I haven't been experiencing any problems.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Slow

Yeah it was real slow either last night or the night before
Old 05-04-2007, 01:10 PM

HAVE YOU DONATED TO DTR AND THE NEW SERVER FUND??
Old 05-04-2007, 01:14 PM

as much time as i spend refreshing and reading what my wife calls useless info, well some of it anyway, i think it works rather well, so no complaints from me other than my hunting forum is down today
Old 05-04-2007, 08:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been asked about this as well, but I've not noticed any changes in the DTR site response... maybe it's just this ol' laptop?

.... think I'll go detail the truck while this page loads...
Old 05-05-2007, 01:39 PM
Muted User

I'd think that if the site had the "preview" turned on (where just by holding the pointer over the thread title you could read the first couple of lines) 1/2 of the pageloads wouldn't need to happen. I know the owner/moderator doesn't like it but I find my self opening pages (for example) "Dodge with cat" thinking it may be about an engine swap, only to find out they were referring to the exhaust. So it was a complete waste of server time. I know it's their railroad and they can run it as they wish but I'd think that any cut in server demand couldn't hurt.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:22 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The preview actually causes more load on the server because it has to perform more queries against the database to "preload" all of the threads in the list so you can see that first part of the posts on the mouseover feature. I can understand why you would think that, but it's actually more work for the servers.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:43 AM

Last week I was having trouble with it running very slowly for me too. But it seemed fine after a couple of days or so. Don't really know why though.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:44 AM

Did you refresh the C-Drive's partioned page file with unused RAM-bytes to enable the IE7's virtual error cache to allow your 19" motherboard monitor to display in real-time?

.... otherwise, you'll have to view the net in bullet-time
Old 05-06-2007, 07:38 PM
JKM

I'm having the same problem as Dodgezilla, on occasion when I click to load a page , it can take up to 5 minutes for it to process , it doesn't load slowly like dial up , it just seems to pause, when the page finally loads , it loads instantly.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:23 PM

if you right click on your "taskbar" and select "task manager" you can have a look at what processes are running on your computer and how much time they are taking up. I often find that my processor is devoting a disproportionate amount of time to things other than what it is supposed to.

for example, if "IEXPLORE" is taking up 99% of your processor time, you will be waiting a long time for pretty much of anything to happen. i find that if i have been using filesharing utilities this file can easily get corrupted.

another thing to try is open a command line and type "ipconfig /flushdns", all in lower case and without the quotation marks, and press enter. if the dns resolver cache has been corrupted this will help. on newer windows systems you simply right click on your ethernet icon and select "repair". if you cannot see an ethernet icon in your taskbar, go to your networking folder, right click whatever adapter you are using, select properties and then select the "show icon in taskbar" box at the bottom left.

there are also services to check site performance. one of them is at www.numion.com . this site should have the option of checking the dtr website specifically from your computer.

also could try "tracert www.dieseltruckresource.com" from a command line or just try "ping www.dieseltruckresource.com" and note the response times from the various servers along the way.

tks,
rjm
Old 05-06-2007, 09:04 PM

If you're going to flush the DNS, reregister. Command is: ipconfig /registerdns
Old 05-06-2007, 09:34 PM

Dear Tech Support,

I've tried repeatedly to flush the hard drive, but the porcelain port is just too small for proper throughput, and I suspect the moisture barriers of the platters have been compromised; after booting this problematic hard drive last week from the balcony - the ground floor occupants have filed a complaint with admin.

Help - What am I to do?!

Troubled in TX
Old 05-07-2007, 05:38 AM

Three words..

Military Grade Explosives

Quick Reply: Anybody else having problems navigating????