1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Fuel Shut Off Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 01:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Fuel Shut Off Solenoid

I am sick of pulling a cord to shut my truck off, is there a special wrench that is made to remove the fuel shut off solenoid without taking the pump off or without grinding the metal tab off the side of the pump? My last desperate attempt to remove it, I tried using a chisel and a hammer to get the solenoid to turn, which I don't recommend. I knew I shouldn't have done it before I did it. I searched the forums but did not find what I was looking for.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:12 PM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
what's wrong with cutting that metal tab off? i've done it on both of my pumps and all you need is a 15/16" wrench to get the FSS off after that.

can you fit a short 15/16" socket onto it?
Old 10-12-2016, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by j.fonder
what's wrong with cutting that metal tab off? i've done it on both of my pumps and all you need is a 15/16" wrench to get the FSS off after that.

can you fit a short 15/16" socket onto it?
I don't have anything to grind it off with nor do I want it to look like a shoddy hack job which it would look like if I tried to grind it. None of my sockets can get in there let alone a ratchet to turn it. I can't believe Geno's or someone doesn't make a specialty tool to get this off. What did you use to cut it off, if no other option is found?
Old 10-12-2016, 02:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This was a total pain to change. I will post a picture of the tool I made.

I purchased a very cheap wrench. I cut it in half then took a grinder to the sides of it and made it fit perfect. Making the tool took about 15 minutes + about 8 bucks for the wrench.

I carry the wrench and an extra solenoid and it now takes a couple of minutes to change one out.

I also purchased the solenoid made by VW (I believe). They are suppose to better.
I will follow up when I get home with a picture of the wrench and a part number.

cheers
Doug
The following users liked this post:
HighPlainsDrftr (10-12-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 05:26 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Take a chisel and tap on the corner. After it breaks loose, spin it out with your fingers.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:20 PM

I have attached a picture of what I made. The chisel option did not work for me. Very tight no space.

This was very easy to grind down so it fit correctly.
The following 2 users liked this post by DoodleBee:
HighPlainsDrftr (10-12-2016), NJTman (10-15-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 06:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DoodleBee
I have attached a picture of what I made. The chisel option did not work for me. Very tight no space.

This was very easy to grind down so it fit correctly.
Have a part # for the VW FSS?
Old 10-12-2016, 06:26 PM

Link to the VW one ->
Magnetic Valve (068130135) for VW Diesel Injector Pumps.

part number is:

068130135 Magnetic Valve

I also ordered a couple - my pump is turned up, but I have noticed very little wear on the rubber seal.

Hope this helps.

cheers
Doug
Old 10-12-2016, 07:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DoodleBee
Link to the VW one ->
Magnetic Valve (068130135) for VW Diesel Injector Pumps.

part number is:

068130135 Magnetic Valve

I also ordered a couple - my pump is turned up, but I have noticed very little wear on the rubber seal.

Hope this helps.

cheers
Doug
Wow, for 1/3 of the price I may give one a shot too.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:20 PM

Have you guys tried the shut off solenoid from geno's garage? Are they the same? I am surprised that wrench turned it without breaking . I will have to find a 15/16" to try.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrftr
Have you guys tried the shut off solenoid from geno's garage? Are they the same? I am surprised that wrench turned it without breaking . I will have to find a 15/16" to try.
Maybe if I wasn't 100% against buying anything from those people I would... but I'm guessing they sell a Bosch part.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I have lots of experience changing the FSS in my non I/C 1990...that's because I changed it 4 times in 2 months because I was trying to save a buck by ordering the cheap no name VW spec units sold on line. All were junk. Then I bought the correct and pricey Bosch unit and its been in there since 2012. And I used a hammer and very sharp cold chisel. It was all I could get to work...and I notched the Bosch unit with a Dremel tool so next time I have to remove it (if ever) the chisel has a surface to seat.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:36 PM

Idk, I couldn't get it to budge with a chisel and hammer. It just mushroomed the thread on the edge as you can see in the pic above. Probably bad enough that a wrench won't fit over it now. I smacked the **** out of it in all different angles trying to get it to budge , its in there tight. It's not reverse thread right? Lefty loosey? Does anyone know if the geno's solenoid is a bosch? I am doubting it if it is only 20 bucks. I am thinking of turning my pump back down so I don't have to deal with it again
Old 10-12-2016, 09:44 PM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
You can buy a snap-on 12 point crows foot that will remove the solenoid from the pump. I am sure the hammer and chisel works to but that would be my last resort no other option stuck in the desert scenario. Just not something I would ever hit with a hammer as its precision part and not just a piece of iron.
The following 2 users liked this post by deere country:
boeingguy (01-23-2017), HighPlainsDrftr (10-12-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by deere country
You can buy a snap-on 12 point crows foot that will remove the solenoid from the pump. I am sure the hammer and chisel works to but that would be my last resort no other option stuck in the desert scenario. Just not something I would ever hit with a hammer as its precision part and not just a piece of iron.
I was worried about the rest of the injection pump, smacking it with a hammer.
Edit-Yes!!! after looking up the crowfoot wrench, that is what I have been looking for, thank you. I knew there had to be some kind of tool designed to take this out. Hopefully I can still get one on it

Quick Reply: Fuel Shut Off Solenoid