24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Power steering

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering

So I think my power steering pump went out. Ive already replaced the gear box and it does have fluid in it. I was driving back from Texas and when I got home I backed her up in the drive way and two days later I started her up and it sounded like there was no fluid in it so I added some but it wont turn and the breaks are not engaging right away. I have to push the brakes all the way down for the truck to stop. What I want to know is there anyway to make sure that it is the pump? And how hard is it to change it?
Old 06-04-2016, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Here's how the power steering pump is driven: There is a vacuum pump driven by the accessory gear in the timing case on the front of the engine. It's the pump that is immediately forward of the power steering pump. The shaft for the vacuum pump extends out the back of it and has two drive tangs on it. The power steering pump shaft also has two drive tangs on it as well. The two are bolted together, and the drive tangs are mated with a coupling.

The fact that you lost your steering and brakes (hydroboost), is the big clue here.

So, there are two possibilities for you. Either one set of drive tangs broke off, or the pump itself died. Either way, the pump has to be removed to inspect the drive tangs and for the pump to be replaced. In rare cases, the drive coupling is the part that broke, or the pump shaft gets sheared.

Here's my advice. It is much easier to remove BOTH the vacuum pump and the power steering pump together out of the truck, and then separate them. Much easier to work on out of the truck than in it. Also it is much easier to re-align the pump shaft so that the vacuum pump shaft seal is not knocked loose, which causes both an oil leak and a vacuum leak.

You'll have to disconnect the power steering hoses, the main vacuum hose, and the oil supply line on the bottom of the vacuum pump. Unscrew one nut holding a wiring harness steady near the top of the pumps. Then remove two bolts holding the entire assembly to the timing case. Pull it straight back from the engine, then up and out of the engine compartment. There is a gasket between the timing case and vacuum pump, it can be reused as long as it's not damaged.

Here's a picture of the entire assembly. The timing case gasket is just above the pumps. The power steering pump is bolted to the vacuum pump by four studs (in the power steering pump) and nuts.

Here is a shot of the power steering pump shaft. Here you can see the drive tangs. There is a similar set on the vacuum pump side. Sometimes these get broken off.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How long do these pumps usually last, I have 260,000 on mine.
I did have an issue with the system a year ago, I was parked in the driveway and when I started the engine I had no hydraulic pressure for steering or brakes, when I opened the hood, I found oil had sprayed everywhere. That night, I refilled the pump and cranked the steering both ways. The system seemed to work fine after, however a short time later I noticed my system was using oil, leaving me stranded twice. I found a small leak in the pressure hose, and replaced it. All is ok now, but curious, what's next.

PS Thanks for the pictures, they are worth a thousand words when I have to repair/replace either pump.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Most of those pictures I took when I tore down the vacuum to reseal it (somewhat common 2nd gen Ram problem). You can see the wear line that the original single lip seal put on to the pump shaft in my 2nd picture above. Glad the pictures are helpful.

Crallscars, normally these pumps last a very long time. All they really are is just a small hydraulic pump. In your case the problems were caused by a leak, leading to low fluid in the reservoir, and eventually started pumping air. And once it started sucking air, then the two hydraulic devices (power steering and hydroboost) ceased to operate. Topping back off with fluid restored proper operation. That was good thinking running your steering from full left to right to help purge out any air in the system. I don't there should be any long term damage to your pump, as long as it wasn't completely dry. As long as there was a little bit of fluid left, the pump had some lubrication, even if it wasn't enough to run the steering and brakes.

In a similar vein, those of us with automatic transmissions can have a similar out of fluid problem if there is a transmission fluid leak. Once enough of that fluid leaks out, the torque convertor (a large purpose built hydraulic pump) will not be able to operate, and it will feel like the truck is in neutral.

TexMexCowboy, any updates to your problem?
Old 06-08-2016, 09:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Jrs,

My biggest question is why did the pump puke the oil out, it has only done it the one time. I am guessing the steering gear box had an issue and blocked the pressure side, and that caused both the hose to pinhole and the pump to squirt out the caps vent hole.

Glad to see another Electronic Tech here

Douglas Crall
Florida State University
Director of Engineering & Operations
WFSU TV / FM & The Florida Channel
Old 06-08-2016, 03:20 PM

Yea I just replaced the Power steering pump and the next day I drove it and had a big oil leak. I need to replace a seal in the vacuum pump. I have not taken out the whole vacuum pump right now. just the thing between the vacuum pump and the steering pump. Does that make sense?
Old 06-08-2016, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Yes, that is the rear seal for the vacuum pump. You likely just knocked it out of place like I did once. You'll have to pull the entire unit out now to get the seal back in place. It's not too difficult of a job.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:08 PM

Yea I just bought a new Seal and I will put it on when it gets here. Did not want to risk it being messed up. Since I had it out I figured I would do that.