Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Your Guys Thoughts about the FASS

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your Guys Thoughts about the FASS

I've decided to hold off on the injectors for now and buy a FASS system. Just some questions about the product. First, FASS or FASS II? The only difference that I see is $200.00 for 2 filters. Is it worth it? Second, should I go with the 95 or 150 gpm pump. I have a box 80hp/150 torque, and the only other Mod that I'm planning is, injectors, 110hp. And finally, Who has the best price on them? I've found the FASS for $569.00 and the FASS II for $369.00. Any other thoughts or comments are appreciated. Thanks as always, Tye
Old 01-23-2005, 12:31 PM
Muted User

I have already made my comments known on this matter. It is my personal opinion that the product is overrated and over priced. I would say spend your money elsewhere. I would recommend a holley blue ($108) and a small accumulator ($37) to absorb the pressure pulses that emanate back from the VP. It is my opinion that the rest is a sales gimmick.

Kevin
Old 01-23-2005, 01:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree with Kevin and feel an accumulator is the key to preventing lift pump failures.
$18 ones here http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/pro...mId=1611591756
Old 01-23-2005, 01:49 PM

Tye, I don't mean to impose on your question, but, Kevin/Infidel, can you expand on the accumulator? I know what it does, but what should the setup/configuration be? Is there one for a diesel application? I am getting ready to banjo bolts, FP gauge, and was thinking about doing the pusher pump too.

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 01-23-2005, 01:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
How is the arrestor (a plumbing item) going to stop the vibration from the motor? I respect your theory, but the stock pumps are failing for a variety of reasons most of which is due to part failure, brushes wearing, loose connections, ect. All of which can be atributed to vibration. This is another reason why the 05 LP is in the tank.

While I agree the VP may be sending pulses to the LP, it is vibration from being bolted to the motor itself that is the most distructive. The FASS HPFP is located far from the motor, closer to the tank, and you have a 4 year warranty with a life expectancy of 600K miles. Sounds like good engineering rather than marketing.

Seems like a good idea to me.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:04 PM
Muted User

Well, to be exact, the damage I witnessed in the stock lift pump was all in the pump end, none in the motor end. The motor was fine. The pump end, particularily the relief valve ball, seat and spring were beat to no end, and the ball was completely out of the seat allowing the fuel to return right back to suction, thus, no pressure. Other than that, it looked pristine. I would be quite confident in saying that 100% of the damage was as a result of pressure pulsations, not engine vibration.

Besides which, when did I say to mount the Holley blue to the engine ?

Kevin
Old 01-23-2005, 04:09 PM
Muted User

Whoops, missed yours Andrew. ;;;

Yes the accumulator that ifidel had a link to is simply 'TEED' into the line between the lift pump and the VP. It does not even have to be under the hood. In fact, mine is back behind the left front wheel on the frame, cuz its rather silly looking under the hood. Its essentially, a pressure vessel with a bladder in the middle. The fuel is on one side of the bladder, and you charge the other side with air or nitrogen. The bladder thus is free to move a toward the air side since its compressible, while the fuel is not. Thus the high frequency pressure pulsations in the fuel line are considerably dampened. I charged the air end with about 5# of air and got the smoothest readings on the fuel line.

Kevin
Old 01-23-2005, 05:15 PM

After checking the Holley site and reading the specs on the Blue Electric Pump, the end comment states that this unit should not be used in injection systems and that an electri shut off is highly recommended.
Has anyone used this set-up, does it work and how did you assemble the system?
Old 01-23-2005, 06:36 PM

OK Guys, I think were off track! I don't mean to be rude, but, I'm not interested in the Holley at this time or any thoughts about Lift Pumps and why they fail. The FASS is the way I want to go. I'm just trying to answer a few last questions before purchasing. Thanks Tye
Old 01-23-2005, 06:50 PM

Re: Your Guys Thoughts about the FASS

Originally posted by BUCKSHOTMCKEE
I've decided to hold off on the injectors for now and buy a FASS system. Just some questions about the product. First, FASS or FASS II? The only difference that I see is $200.00 for 2 filters. Is it worth it? Second, should I go with the 95 or 150 gpm pump. I have a box 80hp/150 torque, and the only other Mod that I'm planning is, injectors, 110hp. And finally, Who has the best price on them? I've found the FASS for $569.00 and the FASS II for $369.00. Any other thoughts or comments are appreciated. Thanks as always, Tye
I'm running the original FASS. If you want to run large amounts of fuel, then the FASS works without a hitch. Once I modified the intank pickup, it pushes up to 18psi of FP. The lowest I've seen the fuel pressure with the FASS is 14psi. If you purchase from Advanced Diesel Technology, they include the complete wiring harness with all the connectors for the ECM and relay. The install on a shortbed is a little tight, but it tucks in there nice. The bottom of the filters are approximately 2" from the bottom of the body sheet metal.

brandon.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:02 PM
Muted User

Hey, no problem, do what you want. Its your money, not mine.

Good Luck

Kevin
Old 01-23-2005, 09:45 PM

Hey, Kevin, PM'd you!
Old 01-23-2005, 09:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMHO you cant go wrong with the FASS system and it comes with a warrenty to back it up. I looked at it this way, if and when I change trucks its something I can take off and put on my next truck or sell. As far as the cost for the filters..... you must decide, for me it was the ease of spin it off and spin it on
Old 01-24-2005, 12:02 AM

The FASS works, and is packaged ready to go for our trucks.
Also the warranty is another nice thing.
DPP also makes a lift pump only version to work with the OEM filter.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tye

I bgt the full FASS when it was all that was availabe from FASS. I needed more fuel delivery as I got higher up in HP. It's well designed, and well made. I paid less than you mention from City Muffler...they advertise here...ask for John Jr. I got free shipping..but maybe only because I live close, not sure.
If FASS II was available back then, I would have considered it carefully. Like you said...$200 for 2 filters and a water separator??? However, I have gone to a 5 micron filter and can not, at my hp, pull FP down at all...this is a nice plus. Might even consider the 3 micron next!

If your in snow country or go off road, and have a short bed, I would be a little nervous about the FASS I filters hanging down below the frame. Welding the bracket will help, but......! On the long bed CTD, there is enough room to get the bottom of the filters ABOVE the bottom of the frame.

I believe 95 gpm is all anyone needs, unless your building an all out drag machine.

Other than that, if you have the money, I would not consider the extra cost of the FASS I a waste. JMO.

RJ

Quick Reply: Your Guys Thoughts about the FASS