Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Will a new intake really help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will a new intake really help?

I was told that the intake in my 97 dodge 2500 (California) is not near what it could be. Should I consider changing it!
Old 05-15-2003, 12:52 AM

Re:Will a new intake really help?

Naw, Intake is ok. Bigger injectors would be money better spent.<br><br>Merrick Cummings Jr
Old 05-15-2003, 02:45 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

As you sit, you're probably just fine with the stocker intake, however, you'll need one before you step up to the bigger injectors.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:55 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

First thing a Cummins engineer said to me years ago was that our factory air boc on the Dodge application is very limited.<br>Thats actually how the Scotty systems came about...from something I was told direct from Cummins.<br><br>Your good for about 50 added HP max if your towing. Anything after that and a BHAF will suffice to 100 HP extra...then its time for more air/exhaust and even a turbo.
Old 05-15-2003, 11:23 AM

Whoops. My Bad.<br><br>I thought he meant intake, meaning the intakeplenum. I thought he wanted to upgrade to a Banks Twin Ram intake.<br><br>The Intake filter/box is useless, go with a Scotty, or AFE Mega-Cannon.<br><br>Merrick Cummings Jr
Old 05-15-2003, 09:11 PM
Chapter President

I was wondering the same thing. Mine is a cali rig as well. There is a hose that goes from the exaust to the intake kind of like the A.I.R. system on the 350 chevy motors made between the mid 80's to the early 90's just before the vortechs came out. Should this be swapped oout for more power and mileage?
Old 05-15-2003, 10:33 PM

Your truck is EGR equipped and the first thing you must do is get rid of the Cal intake plenum get a 48 state or modify yours. Once you take the plenum off you will see that the size of the hole for the intake charge is only about 7/8 dia. Once you dump the intake and block the EGR then you can BOMB away.<br>Bruce
Old 05-16-2003, 06:50 AM

If the hole is only 7/8 inch in diamiter at stock in California, how big is the hole in the other 48 states?
Old 05-17-2003, 04:36 AM

Roughly 3 inches square!
Old 05-18-2003, 02:18 PM

To be clear on this, dumping my current intake would be a good idea in order to take full advantage of my on-going bombing.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:37 AM

Yes, If the California intake is really THAT restricted, then a regular one would be a huge improvement. The non-EGR intake is wide open from the 3&quot; diameter intercooler connection to the squared up section at the air heaters. I haven't seen the inside of the CA int., but can hardly imagine they choke the air down like that. Now there is an EGR pipe that I guess feeds some exhaust back into the intake (much like the old setup on gassers), and that passage would likely be about 3/4&quot; or so.<br><br>No doubt some performance could be gained by not diluting the intake charge (but that may only happen under certain conditions when it wouldn't make that much of a difference).<br>Some one that has actual CA experience will have to give the rest of us a clue here...<br><br>The argument has been made (by Banks, for one) that splitting the intake charge into two square ports, one forward of the original position, and one back from there can improve and equalize air flow to all the cylinders- ala Twin-Ram.<br>Seems logical (enough so that I bought one, anyway).<br>If I ever find the time to install it, I might know better just what the effects/benefits are!
Old 05-21-2003, 07:11 AM

Thanks again Vinnie! Where should I go for the Twin-Ram, and how much are they.<br>
Old 05-21-2003, 10:28 AM

VinDiesel:<br>I can install and test the unit for you and I would be willing even to share the numbers with you. <br>Let us know if you get any improvement.<br>Bruce
Old 05-21-2003, 10:34 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

I have the Scotty II and really like it!. I have yet to increase my fuel , but that is coming. The extra &quot;cool&quot; air this thing brings into the equation, can only be a plus for our trucks.<br><br> With the Scotty in place I can now feel comfortable in raising my fueling to a more respectable level
Old 05-21-2003, 12:11 PM

Raise the fuel Top!!!! Raise the fuel

Quick Reply: Will a new intake really help?