Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

why a fass

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why a fass

hi guys im new here,had a lift pump question..if a 400hp truck only uses about 41gph then why by a fass that runs 150? a stock airtex from napa runs 55
Old 02-19-2011, 08:54 AM

the fass filters out water and air from your fuel giving you better mpg. the stock lp may say it pumps that much but it does not if you have a fuel pressure gauge you will see.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:04 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
That, and the fuel cools the pump, so theoretically, it extends the life of the pump.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:06 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
better mpg?
Factoring in the cost of a FASS there are several very reliable alternative products that will supply more than adequate fuel to the VP44. JMO
Old 02-19-2011, 12:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Diesel's move more fuel than they burn. Unlike a gas engine a diesel will put most if its fuel back to the tank. So the high flow is there to maintain pressure for lubrication and cooling of the injection pump.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:57 PM

and its nice to know the fass you have has not failed for over almost 5 years. each time a oem replacement fails its more money and the chance you are doing damage to your VP-44. but yes there are others that are out there that are building a good reputation as well for longevity. fass,airdog, raptor to name a few. IMO.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:39 PM
Chapter President

For me personally, I got tired of messing with all of the failing electric stuff, so I went this route. The absolute best fuel upgrade there is.

http://www.dodge-diesel.org/9fubomelipus.html
Old 02-19-2011, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by wurkenman
For me personally, I got tired of messing with all of the failing electric stuff, so I went this route. The absolute best fuel upgrade there is.

http://www.dodge-diesel.org/9fubomelipus.html
Unless you have an aftermarket harmonic balancer.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:30 AM

ive built lots of race cars using walbro,aeromotive and weldon pumps..all of which have been around longer than fass and ad..and recently have installed some airtex on customers cars and the snap-on fuel pressure gauge says 18psi idle and 15 wot..sorry guys not tryin to argue just not understanding why all the pimping of ad and fass.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by captchaos319
ive built lots of race cars using walbro,aeromotive and weldon pumps..all of which have been around longer than fass and ad..and recently have installed some airtex on customers cars and the snap-on fuel pressure gauge says 18psi idle and 15 wot..sorry guys not tryin to argue just not understanding why all the pimping of ad and fass.
likley the best reason is all the other pumps have a higher fail rate, and once you factor in the cost and labour of replacing a lower quality pump, its cheaper to spend a little more and only do it once.

not that fass /airdog are problem free either anything electrical can/will fail at sometime. I went thru 2 OEM pumps and 1 airdog, Airdog at the time had a lifetime warrentee, so my second airdog cost me nothing. OEM replacement lasted me about 4months, 1st AD lasted about 1800hrs of run time, my second one has 3100hrs on it now. that was 3.5yrs of running my truck 8-10hrs a day 5 days a week, so thats pretty extreme and your average customer is not going to see that kind of use. the AD pump is rated to last 10,000hrs.

rough estimate of hours is 1hr=100kms (assuming hiway driving)so 1800hrs is 180,000kms (or 112,000miles)

3100hrs= 310,000kms (193,000miles)

so my purchase of an AD has(free replacement) has given me 490,000kms and counting of VP protection
all the above being said maybe for someone who does not use their truck much or wont keep their truck any length of time, the other choices might be ok for them, so long they get a fuel pressure gauge, (and keep a spare pump under the seat)

my two cents
Old 02-20-2011, 05:13 PM

just wondering if these race cars were diesel? but there is a little cheaper version with no filters and is a oem replacement a pump alone, from fass said to increase fuel rate 30% more than oem. I believe that is what I read.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:26 AM

no.. no diesels..but i would think a 900hp blown camaro would put a beatin on a pump..but i appreciate all the input and feed back..thanks guys..
Old 02-21-2011, 06:37 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I chose FASS because it was about the only thing available about five years ago that had proven technology on a diesel truck. The last of those stupid little lift pumps went out alongside the road the day before Thanksgiving in Lynchburg Virginia while pulling my 30 foot gooseneck. I had to change it out along the road and it was a balmy 28 degrees out that morning. I said never again. Keith at Forest City Diesel put mine on the next spring and I never looked back. In fact, I just changed out the original filter and separator last month that Keith installed. Five years and well over 40,000 miles and it was still delivering 17 psi at any speed.
There probably is better stuff out there now and there may have been back then but I opted for something that had a good track record and do not regret the expense at all. Everyone told me I was silly for spending $850 on an exhaust brake in 2000. Guess what, I am coming up on 187,000 miles and over 12 years old and still have the original brakes all the way around, they have never been touched yet. SO, I guess it comes down to what you want to spend and what you expect to get for that expense.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AH64ID
Diesel's move more fuel than they burn. Unlike a gas engine a diesel will put most if its fuel back to the tank. So the high flow is there to maintain pressure for lubrication and cooling of the injection pump.

There are far too many variations in one diesel fuel system to another to make a blanket statement like that. Some diesels return very little fuel, others return a TON, even at the same rated hp.

Moreover, the amount returned vs burnt varies a ton throughout the operating envelope of the engine.

Perhaps a person can tailor remarks to, say, a VP44 truck or something and make them true. But to open it up to all diesels is incorrect.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
no.. no diesels..but i would think a 900hp blown camaro would put a beatin on a pump..but i appreciate all the input and feed back..thanks guys..

That assumes that you know what a pump does or doesn't like.

Quick Reply: why a fass