Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

What's a fair price to have my SBC installed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HOHN
Con FE.

I don't tow and I always start in first, so why not
I would spend the extra and get one of the SBC DD street versions...
Old 03-30-2006, 09:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The DDs don't have a sprung hub to cushion the pulses that can cause spiral cracking of the input shaft. They shift slower and are harder on the synchros.

So, on one hand, I can pay a LOT more money for a clutch that holds more than I need, is harder on the synchros, shifts more slowly, and has the general bad manners associated with a DD.

Or I could buy the Con FE.

I'm not sure I understand your reasoning

Trust me, you don't WANT a DD until you NEED a DD..... I'll never *need* one, so I'll never want one.....

jmo
Old 03-30-2006, 10:18 AM

Remember the 5-speed is a baby tranny, and CAN be handled in the driveway, however, the 6-speed is a mans tranny and weighs 550Lbs. Don't drop it,, it'll smush anything in the way inluding tools, wires, or even a fuel line if it just leans on your jack wrong.

I would say $450 for the R&R of the tranny, and another $50 for the resurface.

Merrick
Old 03-30-2006, 10:22 AM

NV5600 only weighs ~350lb, t-case is another ~100lbs...but either way, it is hard to handle without a good jack Or forklift

Chris
Old 03-30-2006, 11:37 AM

FWIW, I don't think you'll have problems towing a trailer with any of SBC's clutches. I've pulled between 11 and 12k a few times with my Iron Giant and had no problems at all, even when backing it up. Just leave the line with a hair more rpm than you otherwise would...

Chris
Old 03-30-2006, 11:39 AM

Oh, and to the original question - I got my DD installed for $400.

Chris
Old 03-30-2006, 12:07 PM

I did it myself, and installed my buddies for $100. Me and my other friend can swap a clutch in about 4 hours. A little longer than you guys, but still better than most

Chris
Old 03-30-2006, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by GO 4LO
FWIW, I don't think you'll have problems towing a trailer with any of SBC's clutches. I've pulled between 11 and 12k a few times with my Iron Giant and had no problems at all, even when backing it up. Just leave the line with a hair more rpm than you otherwise would...

Chris
Hmm,....ez, scotty, striaght pipe,.....iron giant??!?
You must have some serious plans for that truck.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by signature600
I did it myself, and installed my buddies for $100. Me and my other friend can swap a clutch in about 4 hours. A little longer than you guys, but still better than most

Chris
Interested in a spring break trip to Tampa??
Old 03-30-2006, 05:02 PM

The DDs don't have a sprung hub to cushion the pulses that can cause spiral cracking of the input shaft. They shift slower and are harder on the synchros.

So, on one hand, I can pay a LOT more money for a clutch that holds more than I need, is harder on the synchros, shifts more slowly, and has the general bad manners associated with a DD.

Or I could buy the Con FE.

I'm not sure I understand your reasoning

Trust me, you don't WANT a DD until you NEED a DD..... I'll never *need* one, so I'll never want one.....

jmo
I definatley would not call the fe a good mannered clutch, if you do not like a bucky motion from a stop you will have to use 1st,or slip it with throttle, don't even get me going about reverse. The newer DD's are much better than the old ones, plus the fe will not take any slippage unlike a dd. Go ahead and buy a fe I just put my two cents in, I know what I would buy next time. LAstly if you do not ever need a DD you probably do not need a fe so why not a ofe whch is a way more manneralble clutch.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:14 PM
Weg

jmo
Thats what gets you in trouble is statements like that . I always thought the same thing now I'm wishing i had went to a DD. Honestly on the bucking though I guess it does not bother me as much as others because someone has to say something before I actually notice anything from my FE. Although I dont haul heavy heavy loads just a 20ft camp trailer every now and then.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:07 PM

Very reputable shop in town told me $385 plus $40 to resurface

They also mentioned changing the needle pilot bearing to a ball bearing pilot for $100 on the flywheel.

Anyone heard of this?

They said they like to do this with the diesels as the needle bearings have given them trouble?
Old 03-30-2006, 11:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My last 2 six speed clutch installs took less than 2 hours and cost $225 each. Carrigan Motors, a Dodge dealership in Morgan, Utah.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by greenworks
I definatley would not call the fe a good mannered clutch, if you do not like a bucky motion from a stop you will have to use 1st,or slip it with throttle, don't even get me going about reverse. The newer DD's are much better than the old ones, plus the fe will not take any slippage unlike a dd. Go ahead and buy a fe I just put my two cents in, I know what I would buy next time. LAstly if you do not ever need a DD you probably do not need a fe so why not a ofe whch is a way more manneralble clutch.
Who knows, I may end up going the DD route someday. I just don't see me ever breaking 550hp.

I'm also expecting different manners than stock-- grabby, bucking, etc.

The way I drive and use my truck, a single disc is much more appropriate. As I mentioned, I don't tow anything, because I don't own anything to tow.

I wanted a clutch that will hold 500hp for a good long time in a truck that never tows, and do it 1) at minimal cost over the long run, and 2) with acceptable street manners.

An OFE won't meet my needs. The organic face wears faster than the full feramic face does. That's the penalty for the smoothness of the OFE. Both are very easy on the flywheel.

Also, even if I never break 450hp (the OFEs rating), the FE will last longer at that hp point. As they both wear and start to lose some holding power, the FE will still be holding 450hp long after the OFE has started to slipat that level.

Oh, and and my clutch arrived LAST NIGHT! Two days! How's *THAT* for good service??

Rip Rook, you rock. Awesome speed AND a good price.

By the way, the Con FE came hermetically sealed in the box. Imagine someone sprayed a bunch of expanding foam sealant (like Great Stuff) in the box and packed the clutch in it. It wa practically UPS-proof, and that's saying something
Old 03-31-2006, 09:11 AM

That's how all my clutches come from Peter!!

I got a real cute little one for my S10 yesterday Big difference from the DD in my truck

NO, I'M NOT coming to Florida...last time my truck tried to go to Florida, I ended up chucking a turbo and puking almost all my oil onto I-75

Chris