Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

what is with the stacks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is with the stacks?

I have been noticing a trend with the younger kids putting insanely large stacks on their diesel trucks, heck even some gassers around here now have them. I realize for sled pulling trucks this is a requirement in some cases. Am I the only one that thinks cutting 2 holes in the bed of a perfectly good truck and running two 8 inch stacks or larger stacks looks utterly stupid? Tractor trailers do this for a reason....that I can understand....people doing it to their trucks I can't. I realize I'll probably **** a bunch of people off here and thats not my intent, I'm just asking if there is some purpose that I am completely missing here. I realize each person has their own taste and a different set of opinions and thats cool, but just wondering if there is any practical lodgic to this. The truck I saw today was running two 12 inch wide stacks, the poor kid couldn't even see out his back window not only because of the size but he had soot all over the glass and white paint because he cut them really low. I see this stuff a lot and also see these kids smoking out entire intersections thinking its really cool, no wonder the EPA is cracking down on diesel trucks. I am running a 50/50 blend of D2 and WMO and other than a little puff of smoke occasionally, my truck has never painted an entire intersection black like some of these kids are doing. I work full time as a police officer and try to turn a blind eye to this stuff as much as possible just because I absolutely love diesel trucks, and I have YET to ever write a ticket for smoking out an intersection....but I have pulled a few kids over and explained my genuine concern about this. ok, I'm done ranting....just curious about ya'lls thoughts on this. Thanks
Old 08-28-2013, 08:14 PM

I commend you for attempting to look the other way but in all honesty, I'd "light them up" and then gently but sternly explain what you just touched on. The EPA, smog laws, making us get our rigs inspected every 2 years or so and then have to put up with all the governmentlal BS, and all because of the public outcry about black sooting the intersections (etc.).
I have 2 6" stainless stacks behind the cab on my dually and with a flat 5th wheel trailer I use to haul equipment, etc. I like the smoke (what little there is) going straight up instead of into some 4-wheelers open drivers side window like would happen if I had the stock exhaust pipe dumping out behind the right rear tire.
The engine runs easier and that makes for better MPG as well since I went to the stacks. Less back pressure has translated into better mpg and I like that part, a lot.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:25 PM

you might have stacks, but at least you didn't cut 2 holes in a perfectly good tool box to run them up....yep, saw that the other day too. Even saw a ford ranger with stacks the other day....go figure..ha ha. Thanks for the response, hopefully I didn't offend you about the stacks you have.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:39 PM

I to have seen some pretty stupid stack set ups. Early 80's gas f-150 with the exterior sides of the bed notched out to allow for the 6" stacks to run from under the truck and up the out side and tuck back into the bed. ***? But I have also seen some clean stack set ups on trucks that look great. Lastly stacks do make the sound sooo much better.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rightwinger
I have been noticing a trend with the younger kids putting insanely large stacks on their diesel trucks, heck even some gassers around here now have them. I realize for sled pulling trucks this is a requirement in some cases. Am I the only one that thinks cutting 2 holes in the bed of a perfectly good truck and running two 8 inch stacks or larger stacks looks utterly stupid? Tractor trailers do this for a reason....that I can understand....people doing it to their trucks I can't. I realize I'll probably **** a bunch of people off here and thats not my intent, I'm just asking if there is some purpose that I am completely missing here. I realize each person has their own taste and a different set of opinions and thats cool, but just wondering if there is any practical lodgic to this. The truck I saw today was running two 12 inch wide stacks, the poor kid couldn't even see out his back window not only because of the size but he had soot all over the glass and white paint because he cut them really low. I see this stuff a lot and also see these kids smoking out entire intersections thinking its really cool, no wonder the EPA is cracking down on diesel trucks. I am running a 50/50 blend of D2 and WMO and other than a little puff of smoke occasionally, my truck has never painted an entire intersection black like some of these kids are doing. I work full time as a police officer and try to turn a blind eye to this stuff as much as possible just because I absolutely love diesel trucks, and I have YET to ever write a ticket for smoking out an intersection....but I have pulled a few kids over and explained my genuine concern about this. ok, I'm done ranting....just curious about ya'lls thoughts on this. Thanks
Totally agree with you, looks pretty stupid. Its like they're trying to be a mini semi truck or something. Semi trucks looks nice with stacks, regular trucks not so much.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:18 AM

I used to live 5 miles from Manhattan. If I see one truck with stacks down that way it's a lot. I moved an hour NorthWest into the "sticks" and every kid with a diesel truck has stacks. The only ones still stock are commercial trucks and old geezers like me. I guess they think there's some kind of coolness factor to looking like a big rig and accelerating quickly past the 7eleven or Dairy Queen with their exaust screaming "look at me. look at me".

If they only knew what everyone standing in line at the Dairy Queen thinks/says about them as they drive by. Ask me how I know. LOL
Old 08-29-2013, 09:50 AM

I have to agree with the o.p.
I've been a semi truck driver for 38 yrs & I laugh every time I see a pick up truck with stacks. Just an extension of their ego IMHO. I'm on my 3rd diesel pick up & never entertained the idea of cutting big holes in the bed of my pick ups.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:35 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm not really into stacks, but I can certainly understand that others are and I have no problem with that. I'm sure others think the ham radio antennas I have look ridiculous.

That said, I've been seeing the obnoxiously large diameter stacks more and more lately, and I have to say that the sight of 12" stacks just makes me laugh out loud.

I think it's right up there with the moron kids who think they're so cool walking around with their underwear hanging out.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:59 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Well you must admit that no matter how you feel about stacks on a pickup....putting them on your old K car makes PERFECT sense
Attached Thumbnails what is with the stacks?-ku-medium.jpg  
Old 08-31-2013, 11:37 AM

I wish I was able to get a picture of this, but I saw an older mercedes with a single 6 inch hood stack coming out of it.....thats almost as bad as the picture Larry posted of the K car....
Old 08-31-2013, 01:50 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by rightwinger
I wish I was able to get a picture of this, but I saw an older mercedes with a single 6 inch hood stack coming out of it.....thats almost as bad as the picture Larry posted of the K car....
Here you go....

http://forums.dieselpowermag.com/70/...-diesel-power/

Personally, I cannot stand the way stacks look on a truck. The only reason to put them on is to look cool and blow out your ear drums. My wife had an old vette that we used to tool around in. When the exaust rotted out, I replaced it with a "Turbo" muffler. Darn thing resonated so terrible in the car @ 50 mph to 70 MPH, I couldn't drive it without ear plugs in.
They are good at is catching snow overnight as the truck sits there being unused.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I figure the guys who farm and put them on their truck must want to burn it down when they get some hay and debris in the bed and get to working the truck hard.

The only place for stacks on a pick-up are on a lil red express.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:33 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NE frmhnd
I figure the guys who farm and put them on their truck must want to burn it down when they get some hay and debris in the bed and get to working the truck hard.

The only place for stacks on a pick-up are on a lil red express.
Well out here those of us with stack on our pickups usually have a flat bed on them and have the stacks between the cab and bed,or usually have a spray tank a fuel tank and a tool box or two,and usually any hay being hauled is on a 30ft goose neck trailer. We on all our gas wheat trucks run the exhaust forward and up to were its sticking above the hood near the passenger light,we do so because out here we are not in any sort of a fire protection zone and is all a farmer show. The diesels with stacks are for the same purpose to get the exhaust out of the grass and straw during the summer hayin and wheat harvest. Personally I hate stacks but have them out of necessary,I don't have them my truck but have them on several other.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:36 PM

I've entertained the idea of 2 black stacks on my truck. I'm still on the fence though. I don't like the exhaust where it is on my flat bed but I don't want to hear the wife or kids either so I'm not sure lol.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:58 PM

stacks are so worthless. i like how everyone is quick to tell you how the bigger pipe will reduce down pressure and improve millage. anyone ever measure the exhaust housing holes on there turbo how about 2.5 inches for a xh35. let me know why you think 4 to 10 inches of exhaust diameter is going to buy you anything when the motor is breathing through a 2.5 inch restriction already.

my brother was the first in the family to get a diesel back in the day we put a stack on it and boy were we cool. the stack was great for melting things in the bed. once a cooler slid into it and melted. the noise on the freeway is really annoying in the cab. and a nasty black powder gets on everything you tow or haul in the bed.

he was never happier the day we ripped that junk stack off and installed a 4 inch exhaust system with a muffler.

and i have been around farming all my life I have never herd of anyone installing stacks for fire prevention. the guys running stacks are probably the same guys who own over a million dollars of heavy equipment right. ha ha ha i bet

Quick Reply: what is with the stacks?