Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

what is with the stacks?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 10:11 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I want-a-be a trucker so much I even put stacks on my Corolla, along with big rig horns.

No really, stacks on a pickup remind me of when I was an adolescent and we thought it was cool to clothespin baseball cards into the spokes of our bicycles to make them loud.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:00 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by infidel

No really, stacks on a pickup remind me of when I was an adolescent and we thought it was cool to clothespin baseball cards into the spokes of our bicycles to make them loud.
Hey I STILL do that
Old 09-09-2013, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't mind a stack, if it is done tastefully, these 8, 10, and 12 inch stacks are rediculous.

I have a single 5 inch stack on mine, because it was already set up for a stack when I bought it.

I agree though, a stack does take up a lot of bed space, especially in a short bed truck like mine. If I had to replace the bed, for whatever reason, I would not redo the stack.

Some gassers, just do stacks to try to be cool. However, gassers who frequently mud bog in their trucks, actually have a purpose for running stacks, as it keeps the exhaust up and out of the mud, so it doesn't get plugged.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-09-2013, 07:17 PM

Yep well I don't have the room for stacks on mine. With the gang box full of tools and still need to haul a 5th wheel I don't have the room lol
Old 09-09-2013, 09:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The trouble with stacks and fire prevention is that they still need to go under the cab to get to the bed.

Where I came from, not a lot of people had goosenecks, and haul hay in the bed yet.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by renegade681
Yep well I don't have the room for stacks on mine. With the gang box full of tools and still need to haul a 5th wheel I don't have the room lol
That is true, especially towing the 5th wheel.

If we used my truck to tow our 5th wheel, I would change the exhaust, cause mine would make the front of the trailer black.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-02-2014, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by NE frmhnd
I figure the guys who farm and put them on their truck must want to burn it down when they get some hay and debris in the bed and get to working the truck hard.

The only place for stacks on a pick-up are on a lil red express.
Or the Dodge Warlock it was all blacked out.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:57 PM

Ive got an opinion.....I guess, since I ve been thinking of going to stacks......and heres my reasoning....

1. I build turbo systems, and gas goes from high pressure to low pressure, so the faster this occurs, the fast the turbo spools...The best I ve ever built....in a race car...was a 12 inch long 5 inch diameter exhuast....and voila....instant spool on a giant turbo. So the larger the pipe....will be better....period....how much in real life....hard to tell. The exhuast valve in a sbc is 1.60.....and every header on the planet is larger pretty much......

2. weight......A single stack might be lighter....and this last week I took my dually bed off, tail gate and bumper and tool box and 25 gallon tank under the tool box out and my b&w turn over ball...I figure around 800 pounds...10% about of my 8320 weight and I could tell.....miliege was up.....

3. I put on a custom flat bed....with 5th wheel, tool boxes...and wood deck. I like it. 8 ft long 8 feet wide. and I think its lighter than the stock bed set up......but there is a 6 inch gap between the flat bed and cab....so I could fit a stack in there.......

4. The real benefit....if I go to a stack I can ad another tank on that side of the driveshaft since the exhuast will be gone...Im gonna look at a 60 gallon tank a guy had in a f250 that was custom made and see if I can make it fit.

So......theres my reasons Im considering it....I would probably do a 4 inch since my us gear exhuast brake is 4 inch and my 5 inch exhuast goes to 4 at the brake.....not getting the passenger side of the trailers sooty would be nice too....
Old 04-23-2014, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by 1320
Ive got an opinion.....I guess, since I ve been thinking of going to stacks......and heres my reasoning....

1. I build turbo systems, and gas goes from high pressure to low pressure, so the faster this occurs, the fast the turbo spools...The best I ve ever built....in a race car...was a 12 inch long 5 inch diameter exhuast....and voila....instant spool on a giant turbo. So the larger the pipe....will be better....period....how much in real life....hard to tell. The exhuast valve in a sbc is 1.60.....and every header on the planet is larger pretty much......

2. weight......A single stack might be lighter....and this last week I took my dually bed off, tail gate and bumper and tool box and 25 gallon tank under the tool box out and my b&w turn over ball...I figure around 800 pounds...10% about of my 8320 weight and I could tell.....miliege was up.....

3. I put on a custom flat bed....with 5th wheel, tool boxes...and wood deck. I like it. 8 ft long 8 feet wide. and I think its lighter than the stock bed set up......but there is a 6 inch gap between the flat bed and cab....so I could fit a stack in there.......

4. The real benefit....if I go to a stack I can ad another tank on that side of the driveshaft since the exhuast will be gone...Im gonna look at a 60 gallon tank a guy had in a f250 that was custom made and see if I can make it fit.

So......theres my reasons Im considering it....I would probably do a 4 inch since my us gear exhuast brake is 4 inch and my 5 inch exhuast goes to 4 at the brake.....not getting the passenger side of the trailers sooty would be nice too....

You bring up some interesting points, but I'm not so sure the spooling difference would be enough to justify the looks. and when I installed my exhaust the total weight of the new exhaust was probably within 2 lbs of my old exhaust, and I can't see stacks being that much lighter. For a daily driver the weight would be the difference in having groceries in your truck or not having groceries in your truck...I can't see it saving that much in weight on exhaust alone to be honest. The issue with the fuel tank is the most logical justification I have heard and does make sense to me, that is not anything I have ever thought of before and hopefully you'll be able to make it work and post some pics when you get it done. Most flat beds I have seen usually fit very well against the cab and the gap is nearly the same as the bed would of been, but I understand if the flat bed wasn't made specifically for that truck you might have a gap. Different strokes for different folks, I started this thread just out of curiosity more than anything else, and if you like the look of stacks, go for it.....I was just trying to find out if any practical reason existed that I was overlooking. Sofar the fuel tank idea you mentioned is about the best I have heard, but even then I would try to figure out a way to do it and avoid having a stack.....but thats just me. good luck with it!
Old 04-26-2014, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well... hummm... being now 61... and the fact I have considered a custom twin stack setup on my 01 Cummins dually consisting of 3.5" pipes with chrome heat screens coming up through the wall of the bed side with a full show quality mod to the body... but haven't done it yet, I have mixed feelings. I spent 3 years OTR in the 80s an 85 Mack straight piped 350... I liked it, but it did damage my ears due to the turbo when the AC quit and I had to run "2-75" AC for too long.

But as far as the why's on today's "monster pipes"... "Kids will be Kids" just like we were many years ago. In the late 60s, we'd put as wide a tire that would fit in the wheel well... jack up it up as far as 120 psi in the air shocks would lift it... run straight pipes or "glass packs"... Crager SS's... oh and new 6x9s speakers on the rear shelf and an 8 track cranked wide open too. Just to look cool and p_ss off Dad.

Its no different.

Dave
The following users liked this post:
VADSLRAM (08-23-2016)
Old 04-26-2014, 04:08 PM

I like the look of the stacks on dually's and have been going back and forth for a couple of years about doing it. The main reason that I have not bit the bullet yet was because I want the cross over under the bed and not splitting in the bed and having that hot pipe across the front.

I met a guy who made a custom exhaust a while back that was made with a piece of square tubing under the bed and the 5" stacks came up on the ends. They came through the front corners and looked good with pieces of chromed expanded metal up to the bed height to keep stuff away from the pipes.

If anyone has any pic's that have done this I would like to see them.....
Old 04-26-2014, 10:24 PM

Unless you are driving a semi truck, you don't need stacks.
Just saying.
(Dislike stacks and truck nuts and hillbilly redneck stickers in your back window)
Old 04-26-2014, 10:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure what the history is on semi stacks... I believe it originated to get the heavy soot of the old normally aspirated diesels above the load and other drivers... and more time for any embers or sparks to cool... but I'm not sure....

But with some of the high perf available now... I think it might still stand if the pipes are high enough. If I do the custom twin stack I am thinking of... they will exit with a slightly curved flare about 3 ft above the cab.

Back in high school one of my neighbors and a classmate restored a 1957 Dodge with the 331? V8. He put twin stacks on it. Nice truck and sounded good too.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it was also to get the noise up above the cab and not reverberating up through from underneath. A little curve on top and which way it's pointing can make a big difference on sound levels in the cab.
I have thought about a fuel tank on the other side of the driveshaft, too, but can't come up with a way to get the exhaust out of the way without stacks.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:43 AM

The biggest benefit is by far the possiblity of an extrra fuel tank. The more of my own fuel I can carry (from the shed) the less I have to purchase on a trip. Id like to be able to outfit my rig for up to 300 to 500 gallons for trips. 5000 mile trip at 1.50$ gallon....x 15 miles gallon (towing) . = 500$ trip using my 333 gallons that I made.

5000 mile trip x 15 mpg x 3.75 = 1250 $......

I wouldnt mind the 750$ savings....for something I burn.

Quick Reply: what is with the stacks?