Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

What causes that "clunk/thud" when stepping on and releasing go-pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What causes that "clunk/thud" when stepping on and releasing go-pedal? (FOUND IT!)

My first thought is U-Joints, but I don't think it's them, it's not a driveline snap like I've had before, this feels like the whole gosh darn truck is clunking...almost like I have a broke trans mount or something (which I will check!). I'm going to get new U-Joints anyways, condition unknown on mine.

I just wanted to know if there were any other problem areas I need to look for. I searched for 'clunk' but found mainly front-end issues, but this is definitely not front end.

Tap fuel...thud...release fuel...thud...

Last edited by Dave88LX; 06-12-2007 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Found it!
Old 06-12-2007, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the u-joints and change the oil in the rear diff to see if theres any metal floating around in there. It really sounds like u-joints in the driveshaft area
Old 06-12-2007, 08:33 AM
Banned

My u-joints are all good and mine clunks like that all the time. alot of it is slop in the manual tranny, as well as the slop in the rest of the driveline all the way to the rear end.

i just learned to live with it and ignore it.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by getblown5.9
My u-joints are all good and mine clunks like that all the time. alot of it is slop in the manual tranny, as well as the slop in the rest of the driveline all the way to the rear end.

i just learned to live with it and ignore it.
Mine is the same way. But after driving an older Dodge Cummins, I realized it's not normal. The older one was tight, unlike mine. Mine goes into the shop when I can get the VA off.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:42 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Tranny/motor mounts?
Old 06-12-2007, 10:47 AM

Carrier bearing? Mine could flop around a lot before I replaced it.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:05 AM

Skinnerboy is most likely correct. It's that or the slider assy for the two piece driveshaft. In either case it's probably not a "home" repair. Had to have mine down this spring to the tune of about $300. Still cheaper than a new shaft.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:21 AM

Unless something is worn out or broken, perhaps it is just axle wrap?

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=149087

Originally Posted by bnold
Well I figured I post about my new traction Bars made by LazarSmith (Owned an operated by fellow member XLR8R). XLR8R, AggieJustin and I installed my new sled puller style bars the Friday evening before the HPP Racing Dyno event. Thanks guys!!

What I like to call the cruise control clunk is eliminated... Such as when cruise control is in use and the engine is under load, normally if you were to hit the cancel button (say if approaching traffic) there would be a horrible driveline clunk resulting from the suspension unloading... Seeing that the suspension always has a bit of preload this issue is eliminated. I know in a standard when I used to get on the throttle hard and then have to release (for the next red light ) I would get the same driveline clunk that always made me cringe... No More!!
Old 06-12-2007, 11:23 AM

Could be a carrier bearing, I'll look. Last time I had a carrier bearing go out though (on my F-250), it locked up, ripped the bearing out of the rubber, and put on quite a smokeshow...I get nothing like that this time. I guess that was locked up though, maybe this is excessively loose.

Any good brands? I searched 'carrier' but didn't find a whole lot. Quad4x4 has one but it's $105!!!
Old 06-12-2007, 11:37 AM

I picked my carrier bearing up at NAPA for about 45 bucks. There are 2 sizes, just look at the bolt patterns and you'll get the right one.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:50 AM

Carrier bearings on short beds too? Or is that just on long base models?

Also, I can hear the "clunk" when coasting over speed bumps.

BTW, I hope I'm not hijacking your thread, dave88lx. But I hope my questions helped you too.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:59 AM

Phil, I will read that thread and see if I can't get some ideas out of it. I hope it's not suspension! I guess it'd be an excuse though.

My most favorite is with the way my pump is acting right now, if it starts clunking just right my truck starts jolting, and I just end up in this uncontrollable fit where my truck is just jumping everywhere, throwing my foot up and down on the accel pedal...kind of like when you see a rookie in a Bobcat
Old 06-12-2007, 12:08 PM

loose shock?
Old 06-12-2007, 01:31 PM

Its gear slop in the tranny...

Ignore it.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dave88LX

My most favorite is with the way my pump is acting right now, if it starts clunking just right my truck starts jolting, and I just end up in this uncontrollable fit where my truck is just jumping everywhere, throwing my foot up and down on the accel pedal...kind of like when you see a rookie in a Bobcat
That would be probably 75% axle wrap, with a little geartrain mixed in

Quick Reply: What causes that "clunk/thud" when stepping on and releasing go-pedal?