Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

What boost with no O-rings?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 01:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
More likely that you are making more power but the dyno isn't showing it.

Try a G-tech type of meter, a that will show you the difference.

jmo
Old 09-08-2011, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RowJ
Glad sky did not fall!

RJ
Well Im not sure if my current problem is a direct result of the 1 time I locked up in 2nd out of my 37 passes down the track, but the sky has pretty much fallen.
After a day of the trans getting stuck in 2nd gear, it then started to get stuck in 1st gear. Took it in for flush and check pressure, when they dropped the pan they found a grip load of metal shards, along with most of two rings sittin in the pan. Told me the trans was shot and needed a rebuild for 6100. So im taking it to another shop where they think it might just be the snap rings. The trans hasnt been dropped out the truck so neither is sure.
But ill keep you guys posted. I hope its just the rings, cause spending 7100 for it 2.5 years ago is enough on a trans in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails What boost with no O-rings?-trans.jpg  
Old 09-08-2011, 11:31 PM
The Guru

Originally Posted by DodgenIt
Well Im not sure if my current problem is a direct result of the 1 time I locked up in 2nd out of my 37 passes down the track, but the sky has pretty much fallen.
After a day of the trans getting stuck in 2nd gear, it then started to get stuck in 1st gear. Took it in for flush and check pressure, when they dropped the pan they found a grip load of metal shards, along with most of two rings sittin in the pan. Told me the trans was shot and needed a rebuild for 6100. So im taking it to another shop where they think it might just be the snap rings. The trans hasnt been dropped out the truck so neither is sure.
But ill keep you guys posted. I hope its just the rings, cause spending 7100 for it 2.5 years ago is enough on a trans in my opinion.
Wow, thats it, I remember spending $12k for a near stock rebuild, way back when. At $6100 today, what ya buying, must be near race transmission level. What converter you running? Can find better prices, look around. Whats you power plans for the engine? The stock VP engine can take tons of abuse.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:55 AM

Hohn, what is a g-tech style meter?! I'm interested! How does that work?

Mike, my power plans aren't much more then what I have now, valve springs and drop in cam, maybe swapping in some 200 sticks. Wanna hit a reliable do anything I need it too 550 at the rears. I think with my track time difference compared to old dyno I should be about 500 right now.
As for the trans, mine is a DTT built by moonlight diesel with a super single tc, billet flex plate and input, and 3rd gen intermediate and output. Heavy duty clutch packs. Built for towing plowing and some racing, they told me I could beat the heck out of it to 600 hp.
I pulled the trans last night and it'll be going in today to get opened up. I'm really hoping it's just the snap rings. The shop That told me I needed a rebuild, said that without opening it up. So we'll see how it goes!
Old 09-12-2011, 10:48 AM
The Guru

Should have not problems finding a RE47 that can hold 600rwhp, probably should run a billet input/output shafts. I'm run a race trans RE47, billet input/output, I think that my lock-up clutch in my converter is shot, but its only money. The transmission flashes up fairly high when I step on the throttle. Only does that when I crank-up the power on the truck. These days my truck is almost parts truck, needs a complete rebuild soon. The front needs tlc, plus brakes, fix the rear diff. I probably going to have a fresh motor for it soon, thinking about throwing in a 6.7L just for kicks.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:51 AM
The Guru

didn't see this picture, its toast. Sorry buddy parts laying the pan, some clutch material isn't to bad. Its a hard part. Take it apart and post pictures of what you find.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:54 AM

It's never done right. On top of this, I'm trying to track down boost leaks, rear pinion seal, pull radiator to clean and flush, change dif fluids. It's always something.
I'll keep you guys posted on the trans.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:54 PM

Haven't heard on the trans yet, but found my boost problem.
One or the valves in the waste had come apart blocking it almost fully open making it so I've been driving the last week before trans on a s475 press much as a big single. No wonder so laggy and smokey right. He's local to me though so picking up the new exhaust housing today after work. Hopefully that'll be the end of that problem.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:56 AM
The Guru

Why you buying a new housing. You should be able to repair what you have. S300 turbos have lots of issues, I almost hate using them, unless they are cheap. The S300 thrust bearing don't seem to stand the abuse and prone to have turbine cracking issues. T-4 stuff is better priced. We use them as singles ranging from S362 to S366's. Usually we can buy the turbo and T-4 manifold cheaper than one of those overpriced bullet T-3 turbos.

Sand blast the existing housing and use some lapping compound on the flapper. The S300 wastegates really don't flow very much exhaust flow. Some shops get a wastegate spacer built to get the exhaust flowing.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hohn, what is a g-tech style meter?! I'm interested! How does that work?
It uses accelerometers (which are pretty accurate) to measure acceleration. You tell it how heavy your truck is and it can calculate HP, acceleration in Gs, and a bunch of other things.

Not too expensive, either.

http://www.gtechpro.com/ss_fanatic.html
Old 09-17-2011, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HOHN
It uses accelerometers (which are pretty accurate) to measure acceleration. You tell it how heavy your truck is and it can calculate HP, acceleration in Gs, and a bunch of other things.

Not too expensive, either.

http://www.gtechpro.com/ss_fanatic.html
That looks really cool, just might have to get it and compare it with the dyno @ work.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:05 PM

Whoa that is a sick little gadget. Yea I might have to pick one up too!

Mike, I didnt have to buy a new one, he swapped it out for me under warrenty no questions asked. Even delevered it to me at work. Brett has been real good with stuff like that.
Ive noticed your big into the Garret turbos. Your always runnin some set up with letters and numbers hahaha.
Is that why? They have the same sizing but with t-4 and there less expensive?
Old 09-18-2011, 02:28 PM

I would like to take this moment in time to thank Moonlight Diesel for their complete LACK of help in my trans situation.
After dropping the trans and taking it to a local and trusted building shop, I found out that Moonlight, well went the easy way on a few things.
Reusing stock parts that shouldve been upgraded, drilling bigger fluid holes instead of putting in a shift kit, and a few other issues that shouldve been addressed. Is it just me or should 7 grand get you what they tell you it will.

On top of that, once I told them I couldnt bring the truck up there with the trans, they wont call me back. This happened last year too when I was thinking about upgrading TC. "You wanna buy it but install it yourself? Yea ill get back to you with a price...................."

I would think 8 grand spent at their shop over the last few years justifies a call back at the very minimum. Maybe thats just me.
Attached Thumbnails What boost with no O-rings?-dtt-trans-fucked-1-.jpg   What boost with no O-rings?-dtt-trans-fucked-2-.jpg   What boost with no O-rings?-dtt-trans-fucked-3-.jpg