Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/)
-   -   What boost with no O-rings? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/what-boost-no-o-rings-289926/)

DodgenIt 05-15-2011 04:42 PM

What boost with no O-rings?

Hey all got a question.

I just got my compounds done last weekend, I have my A-1 studs but they arent in yet, (will be in as soon as me and my buddy teaching me has a day off when I do) and im wondering how much boost I can push just with studs and no O or fire rings. I dont want to do rings cause I honestly dont have the money or time to be without the truck.

Ive heard as low as 50 lbs boost is the max for just studs, but Ive heard of guys pushin 80 lbs just with their studs cranked to 145 lbs.

Im not wanting to get too crazy, just thinkin 60 lbs boost will do fine. Will I be alright with just studs, no rings?

TIA Ian.

8UPRACIN 05-15-2011 07:08 PM

I have been pushing 65-75 with just studs. Every truck is different though so you never know. Good luck and make sure to re-torque them often for the first couple hundred miles

CL2000 05-15-2011 07:33 PM

Like said above every truck is different.... I had twins on my truck and ran 110-115psi fine. I run around 60+psi with my bullet no problems for 40k knock on wood. I like the A1s alot better than the arps. Did you get h11s or the standard studs?

RowJ 05-17-2011 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by DodgenIt (Post 2968439)
....Ive heard as low as 50 lbs boost is the max for just studs, but Ive heard of guys pushin 80 lbs just with their studs cranked to 145 lbs. Im not wanting to get too crazy, just thinkin 60 lbs boost will do fine.

Ian, I would not worry about it. If still under 500 hp, you won't get to 60 psi.
That usually takes 600 hp.
I stay at 40 psi till you get the studs in.
After that I suspect you will be safe at WOT..... just wait till, engine is fully warmed up and be sure you have retorqued studs till the no longer stretch.

RJ

DodgenIt 05-21-2011 11:03 PM

OOO Rowland, love the new bumper that thing is mean lookin!!

Yea Im not pushin anything as of now. Not till studs.
Most ive hit so far rollin into it and watchin like a hawk is 41 lbs on stage 3 80% throttle.
So im thinkin I should have no prob hittin 55 60 lbs on stage 5 or 6 and or with the smarty added in.
Im surely hopin ill cross that 500 hp mark. Im only 35 hp away pre compounds, and I was pretty over fueled before.

Ill make sure to re torque plenty and get it done right. Ill do what ever I need to do to keep the truck runnin thats for sure.

P.s. just the standard A1's

RowJ 05-22-2011 03:40 PM

Sorry Ian....missed the "hot Juice" in your signature.
You can definately hitting mid 50's as is.

RJ

HOHN 05-22-2011 04:03 PM

There's no safe boost limit above stock. There's only degrees of risk. That risk curve goes up exponentially as you leave stock levels behind.

Timing plays a HUGE role in determining peak cyl pressure. Boost is only part of the story-- ambient conditions can play a role as well.

For example 32psi in low altitude winter weather is a lot more PCP than high altitude in summer.

Personally, I think 40psi about about the practical real world limit to where you start to skate on thin ice.

JMO

DodgenIt 05-22-2011 05:21 PM

Thats what im thinkin too rowland. Ill be happy with 50-55 lbs as long as EGT's stay cool. Before the compounds with just my 62 I could hit 1675* mid to end of track on stage 5 with the DDP 150's.
If I can stay under 1450 the hole 1/4 mile, ill be very happy.

I agree HOHN, anything above stock and you start pushing the limits of everything else.
My Problem/example, I pushed 39 lbs the hole track and still had enough fuel for egt's to hit too high for comfort.
Solution: swap to smaller injectors or lower chip level.
End result: lower hp and tq and slower 1/4 mile times = No Fun.

Or, Know the risk/limits and dont go extreme. ie, dont run double timing from juice and Smarty, dont do 40 lb boosted launches etc etc.
As well as put in quality head studs with other quality parts, and be confident that Ive done good research and reading, and that Ive built a solid foundation and wont have any problems.

Knock knock knock!!

DodgenIt 06-26-2011 03:17 PM

Well the studs got put in and I got to run the truck for the first time all finished up.
So far Im only 2 10th's faster, but only launched at about 17 lbs boost with a 60' time of 2.0. Im thinkin that with a 20-22 lb launch, I can get my 60' time back down to 1.8 like it was last year, resulting in me breaking into 13's!
I got the waste gate dialed in at 59 lbs boost, but still need to do some adjusting so both turbos are splitting the work equally.

Best part of all is my egt's dropped from a high of 1685* down to 1410* was the max I saw.

Just an update all. Lovin the compounds!

RowJ 06-27-2011 07:07 AM

Congrats! 2/10th's with more to come makes for a nice weekend!
That's still running with 35's, right? If so, 2.0 sec for 60 ft is exceptional, IMO.
Ever weigh your truck in track setup?
No TC lock up switch??

RJ

DodgenIt 07-02-2011 05:53 PM

Yep thats with the 35's. Last year I had it down to 1.8 60' with em, so I know it'll get there.
Still plannin to throw on the stocks for a night though and see what else I can knock off my time.

Nope, never weighed my truck. Used an on line hp calculater and used it a little back wards, Since I already had my dyno hp and track time and speed, just keep puttin in wieghts till everything matched real close. Came out to be roughly 7,400 with me and all the tools in the truck box and plow bracket.
Gonna get on a scale one of these days just to really see.

Yea I have a lock up switch, but being that I only have a super single converter, billet flex plate and input, (3rd gen intermediate and output shafts,) I hit the switch as soon as I hit 3rd but Im too nervious to hit it sooner.
Cant afford to break the trans ya know.

RowJ 07-03-2011 12:30 PM

IF the 'Super' single converter is the older style, with the no longer available clutch material, I would trow the lock up as soon as you hit 2nd gear.
I did that for over 300 passes at the track with no harm done.2nd gear unlocked has to be robbing some power!

As always, your choice.:)

RJ

DodgenIt 07-05-2011 11:06 PM

I do believe it is the older one yes. Its over 2 years old now, and when I called Moonlight diesel, (terry built it for me there) to talk about an swap/upgrade possability to a tripple disk, I remember him saying something about my TC having a material in it that they dont use anymore.

Ive been really wanting to lock up in 2nd, just cant afford a break. But man I want too!!

DodgenIt 07-30-2011 05:24 PM

This weeks track trip showed a bit more progression...
most recent best time was 14.29.
Last night, First ran 14.19, then 13.95, then went with lock up in mid 2nd gear and pulled a 13.80.

Not only am I stoked on breaking into 13's finally, but it was even more fun to beat the 06 twin turbo'd EFI tuned Durimax, 13.92 to my 13.80. He was a little bummed, but that was his new best time too and ive never had a more fun and even race.

All with a high temp of 1411* Godda love compounds!

Here is a strange thing though.. I loosened my waste gate on the small turbo a few weeks back to try to get em closer to building even boost. Pre loosen, Id max at 59 lbs. I thought a little looser would put me around 50-55 lbs, But I was pegging the needle on my 60 lb gauge! How the heck is that possible?
Loosen waste gate with same fuel, and build more boost??? W T F

Tate 07-30-2011 06:31 PM

Its because you're driving the primary harder, creating more boost out of it.