Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

VP44 lasts 75k with FASS? what to do next?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy VP44 lasts 75k with FASS? what to do next?

Have a 02 that when the last VP went I put a HPVP and Fass on,has about 75k miles since, lately have had a little hesitation starting and the other day just wouldn't start after a short run. It will now start intermittently, measured fuel pressure at 20 psi at pump. Checked codes and is giving me 1693 and 216!, gonna erase them and see if they show again with or without chip inline. How is this possible, I thought the FASS was supposed to take care of croaking VP's by supplying proper pressure/bypass, which I thought it was getting because the low pressure light never comes on, anyways, any advice, or similar stories/experiences and fixes apprecitated.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:08 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
There is no guaranteed solution for keeping a VP44 from dying. The FASS (or other fuel systems) will supply sufficient fuel to help cool the VP and not starve it for fuel, but VP44s can die any number of ways. Issues with the electronics cause VP44 failures as well, and no amount of fuel will prevent those issues from popping up.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:23 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
what to do next?
Install a 12 valve P-7100 pump
Old 09-17-2010, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
Install a 12 valve P-7100 pump
Wish I would have at the start, this replacement will be number four, p-pump would have payed for itself now and still have lots of life left if I had did it from the start . I have hard time justifying the p-pump now as I hope to upgrade to something a little newer in the next year or so.
P.S. Any idea what a p-conversion cost these days if you do most the work yourself.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:07 PM

You can do it for free, if you're crafty. Buy a 12v engine, rob the parts you need, sell the rest plus the working 24v parts, and many guys break even. Some even make money. Depends if you're a good salesman or not.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by caver77
Have a 02 that when the last VP went I put a HPVP and Fass on,has about 75k miles since, lately have had a little hesitation starting and the other day just wouldn't start after a short run. It will now start intermittently, measured fuel pressure at 20 psi at pump. Checked codes and is giving me 1693 and 216!, gonna erase them and see if they show again with or without chip inline. How is this possible, I thought the FASS was supposed to take care of croaking VP's by supplying proper pressure/bypass, which I thought it was getting because the low pressure light never comes on, anyways, any advice, or similar stories/experiences and fixes apprecitated.
I have also heard you have to watch running to much psi to your vp 20psi seems a little high, but I cant remember how high they said not to run so it may have been fine also. I have mine set at 16psi.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Perhaps this will show that:
1) HPVPs are not as reliable as stock rebuilds
2) FASS is not a guarantee of VP life.

The time-honored theory that lift pump starvation causes VP death is starting to look like a legend with little evidence.

JMO
Old 09-22-2010, 10:25 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Caver77, in your sig you mention that your VP44 was "upgraded". How is it different from stock?
Old 09-22-2010, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HOHN
Perhaps this will show that:
1) HPVPs are not as reliable as stock rebuilds
2) FASS is not a guarantee of VP life.
Possibly........but don't forget, quality varies widely with reman injection pumps. If you buy a junk pump, nothing you do will help it live.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:30 PM

I installed a new VP in Mar08. I had 350,000kms then, I now have 512,000.
thats alot of KMs in 2.5yrs, that VP has about 5000hrs of run time on it, I also had installed an AD about a week after installing the new VP, I bought my VP from Tabor Diesel in southern Alberta, these Guys were reccommended to me from Midwest Fuel injection, at the time I paid 1100$ as Tabor diesel matched Midwests pricing plus 100$ (due to dollar valve)

I'm guessing I got a good VP, its gonna take me longer to rack up miles now seeing as my truck (and I) no longer courior, but I suspect between the fuel additive and an AD it has helped my VP live this long!

PS, knock on wood!
Old 09-22-2010, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Midnite
Caver77, in your sig you mention that your VP44 was "upgraded". How is it different from stock?
Was supposed to have the " better cooled electronics" and if remember have better plunger, similar to the blue chip ones, but not blue chip, cost about $1600-1700 if I recall right but I'd have to pull the bill. Was put on in late 06.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by 06er
I have also heard you have to watch running to much psi to your vp 20psi seems a little high, but I cant remember how high they said not to run so it may have been fine also. I have mine set at 16psi.
I thought that the high psi would just result in hard starts as the diaphram wore out but wouldn't result in code 216.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by 06er
I had mine installed at a performance shop at the time and was not aware that the psi could be adjusted.How did you adjust yours?
Old 09-23-2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Tate
You can do it for free, if you're crafty. Buy a 12v engine, rob the parts you need, sell the rest plus the working 24v parts, and many guys break even. Some even make money. Depends if you're a good salesman or not.
I'm liking what what your saying, keep talking to me.. Don't know if I've been called crafty before, but "handy" and other things once and a while . This is something I shall have to research for a posslible project. Would like to chat about your p-pump sometime.
For right now, time is kinda an issue so I just got a midwest vp to to toss in for the time being. But think I'm looking for a 12v'er for the upgrade.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:48 AM

what is the benefits of running a 24v head on a p pump motor, or visa versa, however you want to look at it? it seems easier to swap a whole 12v motor in the truck if you can find a good one. but you never know what u get vs what you got idk!!

Quick Reply: VP44 lasts 75k with FASS? what to do next?