Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Turbo Blow Off Valve??

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Turbo Blow Off Valve??

I'm going to put twins on my truck soon, but I'm a little concerned about the amount of boost it'll make. I don't want to be over 50-55 psi. My engine is studded but not o-ringed and I don't want to blow the head gasket.

To my question ---- I've seen blow off valves on setups before but I cannot find where to buy them. Does anyone know off where I can get one that is adjustible? Thanks.

D
Old 12-18-2006, 08:41 PM

I am using two blow-off valves from Rip at sourceautomotive.biz that are adjustable from 45-120psi
Old 12-18-2006, 08:58 PM

What brand is your blow off valve? I looked on their sight but coudn't find them. It looked like they had two in their twin setup, are those the kind you have? Thanks.

D
Old 12-18-2006, 09:01 PM

No idea on the brand, but yes they are the ones shown on the twins setup
Old 12-18-2006, 09:04 PM

Just a few more questions. What pressure do you have yours set at? Are they effective? Are they loud when they blow off? I was told that you can take that style and plumb them into your exhaust to get rid of the noise, do you have yours that way? Thanks.

D
Old 12-18-2006, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by 98.5POS
Just a few more questions. What pressure do you have yours set at? Are they effective? Are they loud when they blow off? I was told that you can take that style and plumb them into your exhaust to get rid of the noise, do you have yours that way? Thanks.

D
Between the stacks and engine noise I can't hear mine... I've had them set at 50psi for a few months and just raised them to 60psi... Extremely effective, work great... Mine are not venting to anything just the engine bay...

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-18-2006, 09:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 98.5POS

D
I have the same setup

I have mine go off currently at 60 psi max, but i have turned them down to 50 PSI before, they are not too loud when they go off, u kinda have to be listening for it and watchin the boost gauge at the same time to see the pressure release. I have mine directly on the pipe that goes to the intercooler. They are effective for the setup, but im thinkin an external wastegate might be a better option...

Rick
Old 12-18-2006, 09:36 PM

but im thinkin an external wastegate might be a better option...
Aren't blow off valves and waste gates the same thing?
Old 12-18-2006, 09:53 PM

Nope.

Blow-off valves dump air out of the intake (compressed) side when you rapidly drop the throttle to prevent barking the turbo. In this case, they're being used to limit boost.

Wastegates bypass exhaust gases around the turbine wheel after a certain boost is reached to control turbine speed.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:01 PM
Muted User

Blow off valves serve no effective purpose on an engine without a throttle (our diesels). The purpose of blow off valves on gassers is so when you let off the go pedal quickly and the throttle butterfly slams shut, the rapid increase in compressor discharge pressure is relieved. On a diesel, you dont have a throttle and thus you dont have this problem.
And to use a blow off valve to control boost, is a tremendous waste of power. When you do this instead of using a wastegate you are forcing all of the exhaust gas to pass through the turbine where it recovers the heat and pressure energy from the engine exhaust to drive a compressor at a speed higher than you want, and thus deliver a boost pressure higher than you want, only to vent the excess boost out a blow off valve. Use a wastegate instead, and then bypass your exhaust around the turbine to control the amount of power the turbine delievers thus controlling the compressor boost in that manner. You'll have lower engine exhaust back pressure and lower EGTs not to mention more power.

Remember, that boost does not come free. It robbed some engine power to make it. Use all the boost you make, or if you've got more boost than you want, wastegate the engine exhaust around the turbo before you make it, thus freeing up engine power.

If you ever find a compressor that compresses air without using any power.... let me know, we'll make alot of money together.....

Kp
Old 12-18-2006, 10:02 PM

Which would work better as far as EGT's go? I'm planning on building my own twin setup so I can build how I want. The blow off valves look extremely easy, whereas wastegate on the exhaust side doesn't seem to be as easy. But if the wastegate works better then so be it. What do you guys think?

D
Old 12-18-2006, 10:28 PM

If I was building a set of twins, I wouldn't even have to think about it. Wastegates.
I'd probably also use external wastegates unless I planned on using a wastegated turbo I already had.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:37 PM

I'm using my HTB2 (wastegated) and a HT3B (non-wastegated). So a external wastegate would mount where on a twin set-up? On the hot pipe between the two, and exciting in the exhaust down tube?
Old 12-19-2006, 09:00 AM

Turbonetics makes an external waste gate, where do you mount it?
Old 12-19-2006, 09:03 AM

I imagine if you went the external wasteagte route you would gate the primary by placing the wastegate into the hotpipe

Quick Reply: Turbo Blow Off Valve??